• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF15 - guess grade before CGC

192 posts in this topic

Im not sure if the seller is owning up to anything at all. he hasnt contacted me at all since i refused his 10% partial refund. in any case, i sent it back and ebay said they would refund the cgc fees. kind of sucks - the seller found a loophole to get $300 worth of grading for free.

he told me he had to sell it for some quick cash, so i think hes just trying a one time burn bridges and disappear scam. i wouldnt be surprised if hes cancelled his bank account and ebay and paypal accounts already.

i still have a feeling hes going to claim nothing arrived in the box. but i filmed the whole packing and giving it to usps - so i should be safe.

also - fedex doesnt allow you to film such things in there store (or offer insurance over $250 - and when i told them it was a comic they said they wouldnt insure it.

Well, John, if you had a bad feeling he seemed dishonest, wouldn’t have been wiser to stay away? Or maybe he tried his explanations afterwards?

Anyway, it’s always a risk to buy on eBay unless the seller has a solid reputation, no matter if it’s an average guy or a professional dealer. :)

Once again, all the best, I’m sure all will go well, and eBay, well, it’s bad if they have to pay on his behalf, but I guess if they raised fees it‘s also expected they offer protection to some degree.

i didnt see it as that big a risk, seeing as how im protected by ebay and paypal. plus in his auction he explicitly stated if it went to cgc and came back with undisclosed restoration, hed buy it back. 95% of the time i stay away, once in a while you have to take a risk though. hopefully it will all go well.

and maybe hell put it back up on ebay for a reasonable price.

Well, John, if you had a bad feeling he seemed dishonest, wouldn’t have been wiser to stay away? Or maybe he tried his explanations afterwards?

Anyway, it’s always a risk to buy on eBay unless the seller has a solid reputation, no matter if it’s an average guy or a professional dealer. :)

Once again, all the best, I’m sure all will go well, and eBay, well, it’s bad if they have to pay on his behalf, but I guess if they raised fees it‘s also expected they offer protection to some degree.

This is kind of my feeling of the whole situation John. In your own words from your first post in this thread "Ive prepared myself mentally for a purple label...but Im going to be optimistic for blue." In your own mind you knew the book was restored before you got it by these words, but you still bought the book anyways. Then you go on to call the seller dishonest, but in this case he might not even of known this book was restored before he passed it onto you. He used a reputable source from Mile High Comics for his checker and you still call him bad. Anytime you buy an item from ebay you assume the risk, but when it is an item of high value and your going to be so picky buy it in person with a 3rd party professional on hand to check out the book. Nobody should be feeling sorry for you at all based on your comments from the first post this falls on you and you should be eating the cost not the seller because he delivered what was offered.

I dont expect anyone to feel sorry for me.

and its obvious if the seller had the book inspected, then he knew it was trimmed but didnt disclose it. the seller should eat the cost for this because he knowingly tried to pass a book off as something it wasnt. the seller didnt deliver what was offered, he failed to disclose the trimming.

things like this give ebay a bad name, which is a shame for reputable dealers.

and dont think for a second that anybody else who won this auction, and then had the comic graded by CGC, wouldnt be doing the exact same thing as me. The seller tried to get around this by having a 14 day limit on returns which is shorter than turnaround time at CGC.

but if you want to side with the seller, thats ok, Im sure hes not happy with this transaction either.

Registered mail is the only worthwhile service offered by the USPS.

It's the ONLY way that I'd ship a slab of extreme worth.

They insure items of high-value. Each individual step in the delivery process is thoroughly documented. The local postal worker told me that registered mail was kept seperate from all other mail and was sorted and transported in its own "special" mailbag. It seems like the safest, most secure way to mail anything.

Downside is the high expense and the extra time it takes to get where it's going.

You should consider Express Mail next time. For anything over about $1500, it's much cheaper than Priority Mail, it gets there in one day for sure.

Most importantly it is like Registered in that it is transported separately from all other mail. There is very little difference in how Express Mail is handled from Registered, minor things. Registered is usually slower but it should now be based on the type of service/postage.

Make up a fake parcel in your head, and check the postage and insurance for Priority versus Express Mail. You should be surprised by the difference in rates of insurance.

This is kind of my feeling of the whole situation John. In your own words from your first post in this thread "Ive prepared myself mentally for a purple label...but Im going to be optimistic for blue." In your own mind you knew the book was restored before you got it by these words, but you still bought the book anyways. Then you go on to call the seller dishonest, but in this case he might not even of known this book was restored before he passed it onto you. He used a reputable source from Mile High Comics for his checker and you still call him bad. Anytime you buy an item from ebay you assume the risk, but when it is an item of high value and your going to be so picky buy it in person with a 3rd party professional on hand to check out the book. Nobody should be feeling sorry for you at all based on your comments from the first post this falls on you and you should be eating the cost not the seller because he delivered what was offered.

Getting a CGC grade or restoration check on a $4000 plus book is not "picky". Are you supposed to simply trust the Ebay seller's claims? :screwy:

nice....now the million dollar question is...."will you bid up another raw AF 15?" hoping to hit the lottery?

I have had 4 cases with Ebay in the past 3 years, twice they ruled for the sellers. The first time the seller claimed he didn't get the package and ebay sided with him even when I have tracking info...but missing signature requirement. Any returned item $250 and over must have signature.

To add salt to the wound, the seller re-list the item minutes after Ebay sent me the notification that they ruled in favor of the seller. Of course I contacted Ebay immediately and after talking to various people on the phone, I was told "do what you must do but we can't help you and will not do anything further"....so I had to go thru the long process of a charge back with my credit card company to have that mess resolved.

The 2nd time was a seller showing a bad pic with the note "I bought this from Metropolis as a 9.0", when I got the book, there was a 3" crease across the corner of the book...somehow the fuzzy pic hid it well. So once again I contacted Ebay to try to return the book for a refund and they said I can't because "it was as advertised, the seller has proof that it is a 9.0 per past sale record?"

seriously an invoice from Metro? WTF, once again, I had to pick up the phone and once again I had to deal with idddits that argued and defended that the invoice from Metro is all they need to rule for the seller.

SO TAKE NOTES SCAMMERS, get out your old type writers and phony up an old invoice and used them to back up your overgraded trash on Ebay...

ok, rant over.

lesson? I do not buy books from seller with no return policy unless it is junks that don't matter. On anything $250 and above with return policy, I will always request signature going forward...not that I bought anything that high since that freaking disaster.

yeah, id buy another raw AF15 - but Ill ask a million questions first, and more importantly trust my eyes, instincts, and BS meter.

although I think that last one is going to nudge me towards buying a slabbed copy instead (if the price is right).

one of my biggest noob mistakes was trusting ebay sellers grades. Now that I have a better eye for its myself Ill give it a shot.

Im having better luck buying off the boards though, and have found some great deals trolling on craigslist.

If the seller has stated that he will complete a full refund if any of the comic is missing (Trimming means part of the comic is missing) then no in this case the seller is stating that he assumes the risk. Dont understand why you think the buyer does in this case.