• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
81 81

26,860 posts in this topic

Express - 1 Book

Invoiced - 5/10/18

Graded 5/11/18

QA/QC 5/14/18

Shipped 5/14/18

What is that three business days.  Make it two next time, guys!  Low grade books seem to be fairly loose in my opinion.  Had it as a 2.5 on a bad day, 3.0 would be my guess and it came back a 3.5 - and Universal this time.  Love CGC!

Edited by 1Cool

On 5/11/2018 at 2:58 PM, The Resurrection said:

Still way super tight on moderns. The 9.6s are really flowing

They are gobbling up those $5 reject fees and losing the other $19 at an alarming rate.

On 5/11/2018 at 1:58 PM, The Resurrection said:

Still way super tight on moderns. The 9.6s are really flowing

Has the grading been tighter over the past few months for moderns? I have 20 books currently sitting at CGC, which will likely be graded within the next 2 weeks (Received 4/9). My last submission was about 7 months ago, and I was pleased with the results (14 out of the 25 books came back as 9.8's). I had hoped that 16 of the 25 books would come back as 9.8's, but the results were close enough. 5 were graded as 9.6 or less , even though I was hoping for 9.8's, while another 3 came back as 9.8's, even though I was expecting 9.6's. It seemed that books with even one small non-color breaking stress line along the spine received 9.6 grades or less, while others with one slightly rounded corner were still graded as 9.8's.  I inspected the recently submitted books the exact same way as last time and am expecting similar results, if not better. I've learned over the years to inspect each book under different types of lighting to catch all defects. Some defects appear better in direct sunlight, while others show up better in different interior light settings (dim to extremely bright). Let's see how it goes. I'll note the comparisons once I get the grades.

37 minutes ago, skybolt said:

Has the grading been tighter over the past few months for moderns? I have 20 books currently sitting at CGC, which will likely be graded within the next 2 weeks (Received 4/9). My last submission was about 7 months ago, and I was pleased with the results (14 out of the 25 books came back as 9.8's). I had hoped that 16 of the 25 books would come back as 9.8's, but the results were close enough. 5 were graded as 9.6 or less , even though I was hoping for 9.8's, while another 3 came back as 9.8's, even though I was expecting 9.6's. It seemed that books with even one small non-color breaking stress line along the spine received 9.6 grades or less, while others with one slightly rounded corner were still graded as 9.8's.  I inspected the recently submitted books the exact same way as last time and am expecting similar results, if not better. I've learned over the years to inspect each book under different types of lighting to catch all defects. Some defects appear better in direct sunlight, while others show up better in different interior light settings (dim to extremely bright). Let's see how it goes. I'll note the comparisons once I get the grades.

Sounds about right.  50-60% 9.8s seems to be the norm especially if you are not grading hot off the press modern books.  But the same batch of book use to be up in the 75-85% range for tight graders who look at books with different lights.  They are tighter for upper grades no question about it but it doesn't seem to be stopping the flow of books into their doors.

8 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Sounds about right.  50-60% 9.8s seems to be the norm especially if you are not grading hot off the press modern books.  But the same batch of book use to be up in the 75-85% range for tight graders who look at books with different lights.  They are tighter for upper grades no question about it but it doesn't seem to be stopping the flow of books into their doors.

Thanks for the info. I'm really hoping for that 75% to 85% range with the books I submitted, but will likely be disappointed with the results.

7 hours ago, Pirate said:

They are gobbling up those $5 reject fees and losing the other $19 at an alarming rate.

I have never pre screened. And I have been about 90% accurate with 9.8s over the course of about 8 consistent years. Just the past year has there been a change, and it's not one or two random submitters, it's a bunch of guys who submit primarily 75-current books, and frequently.

6 hours ago, 1Cool said:

50-60% is absolutely horrible IMO. And a recipe for disaster if you are running a business off these books.

55 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

50-60% is absolutely horrible IMO. And a recipe for disaster if you are running a business off these books.

100% agree.  The $5 fee for all the prescreened books definitely will eat up a ton of profits for the ones that pass.  I've not graded moderns in 7 months after the results of my last submission and I was subbing 150 - 200 or so books a year.

10 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Grading/QC/Shipped 5/14

Received 5/16

Your future self got the package?

2 hours ago, The Resurrection said:

I have never pre screened. And I have been about 90% accurate with 9.8s over the course of about 8 consistent years. Just the past year has there been a change, and it's not one or two random submitters, it's a bunch of guys who submit primarily 75-current books, and frequently.

Wow, that's impressive. No matter how well I inspect the books I've never achieved 70% on a single submission. By the way, have you ever received any 9.9 grades?

16 hours ago, skybolt said:

Wow, that's impressive. No matter how well I inspect the books I've never achieved 70% on a single submission. By the way, have you ever received any 9.9 grades?

Never got a 9.9, my old partner had, but it was on Batman: The Cult. But yes, I feel at this point I cant pull 9.8s all day.

Modern Fast-Track (2 Books)

Received 5/17/18

Web site is saying 9 days (!) for turn around so lets see how they are doing.

On 5/11/2018 at 2:57 PM, The Resurrection said:

Modern Slow Track

Rec- 3/12

Verified - 3/28

Sch. for grading - 4/9

Graded - 4/17

Graded/QC - 4/25

Shipped/Safe - 4/26

Modern Slow Track  Sub:2

Rec - 3/28

Verified - 4/18

Sch. for grading - 4/25

Graded - 4/26

Graded/QC - 5/9

Shipped/Safe - 5/11

I've had a modern slow at verified since 4/13. I don't want to over-react, but something just doesn't add up.

2 hours ago, Gaard said:

I've had a modern slow at verified since 4/13. I don't want to over-react, but something just doesn't add up.

I’ve had 2 reholders dropped off at a convention on 3/17 verified since 3/22, yeah I’m wondering about that too. Going to call Monday. (shrug)

Edited by nepatkm

3 hours ago, Gaard said:

When was it received? I had my modern slow track received on 4/9 and verified 5/4. They were graded on 5/17. My gut tells me that if yours were received on 4/13, they should be graded by early next week.

2 hours ago, skybolt said:

When was it received? I had my modern slow track received on 4/9 and verified 5/4. They were graded on 5/17. My gut tells me that if yours were received on 4/13, they should be graded by early next week.

I think you're right ... when using the online form, my books are usually verified the same day they're received.