• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

26,949 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Man, I've had a book in for a press and grade since September and it's at received by CGC. I guess it's 3 months at CCS & another 3 at CGC? Painful...

CCS does a great job on their pressing (although the "quick press" is a bad idea IMO).  And it seems like CCS would always be the way to go because they are part of CGC, but because of the long wait I'm not sure I'm going to go that route anymore.  Time to explore some of the other pressers.  Joeypost has done some for me.  He's top notch.

12 hours ago, gadzukes said:

CCS does a great job on their pressing (although the "quick press" is a bad idea IMO).  And it seems like CCS would always be the way to go because they are part of CGC, but because of the long wait I'm not sure I'm going to go that route anymore.  Time to explore some of the other pressers.  Joeypost has done some for me.  He's top notch.

Why is quick press a bad idea?

52 minutes ago, spreads said:

Why is quick press a bad idea?

From what I've been told there's a lot that goes into a "proper press".  There's nothing "quick" about a proper pressing.  I don't know everything involved, but I know humidifying the comic before the press is part of the process (and other parts of the process are simply "trade secrets" that take years of experience to learn).  I also know that each of the different eras of comics (Gold, Silver, Bronze, etc...) require different methods (temp & time in the press).

I may be wrong but I believe a quick press is only a quick heatpress with no humidifying.  After cooling down the paper fibers will want to revert to their pre-pressed state.

I can only say that the comics I have had "quick pressed", seem to look exactly the same when I get them back.  Whereas the comics that have been properly pressed look really good.  

This is all my Opinion, maybe others have had big success with the quick press.  I just think if you're pressing looking for a bump in grade, just pay the extra money and have it done right.

Edited by gadzukes

17 hours ago, gadzukes said:

From what I've been told there's a lot that goes into a "proper press".  There's nothing "quick" about a proper pressing.  I don't know everything involved, but I know humidifying the comic before the press is part of the process (and other parts of the process are simply "trade secrets" that take years of experience to learn).  I also know that each of the different eras of comics (Gold, Silver, Bronze, etc...) require different methods (temp & time in the press).

I may be wrong but I believe a quick press is only a quick heatpress with no humidifying.  After cooling down the paper fibers will want to revert to their pre-pressed state.

I can only say that the comics I have had "quick pressed", seem to look exactly the same when I get them back.  Whereas the comics that have been properly pressed look really good.  

This is all my Opinion, maybe others have had big success with the quick press.  I just think if you're pressing looking for a bump in grade, just pay the extra money and have it done right.

I have no idea what the actual difference is, and gadzukes might be on to something (it might be related in part to the use of a humidity chamber when potentially beneficial).

I suspect that a "quick press" is a one and done heat press and a "press" via CCS might involve more effort (e.g., multiple, heat press attempts, a tacking iron or something similar for spot issues, and/or a humidity chamber, all when deemed potentially beneficial). I've experimented with pressing and sometimes I need a few attempts with a cold press, which takes additional time, effort, and ties up equipment. Again, all 100% speculation on my part. 

Well crud, I called CGC to ask about the difference between the Press and Quick Press services, and I was told there is no difference. It's just you have to have a bulk amount of books (15) to qualify for the Quick Press. That's disappointing if I was informed incorrectly and that there is actually a difference between the two pressing processes.

On a side note, I had submitted two copies of ASM 300 for regular pressing service (and Crossover Service), and they notified me within days of receipt of my books that they did not think pressing would help and what the expected grades would be and if I still wanted the pressings done. I chose not to have the pressings done and saved that money.

1 hour ago, Legion HQ said:

Well crud, I called CGC to ask about the difference between the Press and Quick Press services, and I was told there is no difference. It's just you have to have a bulk amount of books (15) to qualify for the Quick Press. That's disappointing if I was informed incorrectly and that there is actually a difference between the two pressing processes.

On a side note, I had submitted two copies of ASM 300 for regular pressing service (and Crossover Service), and they notified me within days of receipt of my books that they did not think pressing would help and what the expected grades would be and if I still wanted the pressings done. I chose not to have the pressings done and saved that money.

I just had a batch of 21 books that I sent in for a quick press and they were pressed within a week of being received....all were pressed, I didn't receive any communication advising me of an option not to.

1 minute ago, spreads said:

I just had a batch of 21 books that I sent in for a quick press and they were pressed within a week of being received....all were pressed, I didn't receive any communication advising me of an option not to.

I asked about that with my other submissions. She said that only the ASM 300s qualified for that quick scan. The others did not qualify, I guess because they were valued at the lower tier of $200 or less. I forgot to mention, they also did a quick scan of my Hulk 271, which they thought a press may help the grade, so I did continue with that pressing. That book was also in the higher tier along with the two ASM 300s. So yes, it must be that they do not provide the quick scan for the lower tier books.

2 minutes ago, Legion HQ said:

I asked about that with my other submissions. She said that only the ASM 300s qualified for that quick scan. The others did not qualify, I guess because they were valued at the lower tier of $200 or less. I forgot to mention, they also did a quick scan of my Hulk 271, which they thought a press may help the grade, so I did continue with that pressing. That book was also in the higher tier along with the two ASM 300s. So yes, it must be that they do not provide the quick scan for the lower tier books.

All my 21 books were in the modern tier.

2 hours ago, Legion HQ said:

Wow.  They should NOT be calling it a "Quick Press" if it's the same as a "Press".  They should call it "Fast Track" pressing (which requires bulk comic submission) to match the terminology on the CGC side.  

"Quick Press"  makes it sound like a lesser quality press.

I guess I was totally off on what I had heard about it.  I apologize for spreading any misinformation.

3 hours ago, gadzukes said:

My Nov 28 Value Submissions have just been listed as "Graded".  Woo hoo!

It wont be long now.

It's only 3 hours later and my books have been moved to "Graded/Quality Control".  

That's gotta mean they'll probably ship by tomorrow.  Yay

26 comics all together.... maybe my biggest submission ever.

Edited by gadzukes

Anyone else experiencing this "phenomena". 

I submitted books (all the same tier) on the same date (1/7/2019) with another group arriving to CGC three business days later on 1/10(still under the same tier of service). 

All but the very first group of books is not only graded, but shipped safe while the earlier submission sits at verified. 

Drives me batty. 

4 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Anyone else experiencing this "phenomena". 

I submitted books (all the same tier) on the same date (1/7/2019) with another group arriving to CGC three business days later on 1/10(still under the same tier of service). 

All but the very first group of books is not only graded, but shipped safe while the earlier submission sits at verified. 

Drives me batty. 

It's only you