• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
81 81

26,858 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2012 at 8:07 AM, joeypost said:

It used to be a few days from scheduled to be graded/graded/shipped. Maybe 4-5 days at tops. I remember when fast track books would have greades sometimes by day 9. Seems that has gone the way of the dinosaur.

You can see some books (i.e. value) take up to two weeks to go from graded to shipped.

I know how hard they are working at CGC. It is not from a lack of effort. Do the math. They did 1,000,000 books in 9 years. The next million in 2. During that time period the staff has not grown to meet the need. Even if the present staff worked 24 hours a day it would be a miracle if they got TAT's to half of what they are. Again, not a dig on the present staff, they just need more straff to help balance the equation.

I’m in business and deal with these sort of resourcing questions a lot.  Normally as the demand increases, you add a bunch of staff to keep everything in check.  By not hiring, they are essentially saying “it is ok for you to have a bad experience but we're a monopoly so suck it up cupcake.”   And if they have grown this much without scaling staff, they are making a lot more profit at the expense of submitter customer experience.

3 minutes ago, BladeTX said:
On 9/12/2012 at 8:07 AM, joeypost said:

It used to be a few days from scheduled to be graded/graded/shipped. Maybe 4-5 days at tops. I remember when fast track books would have greades sometimes by day 9. Seems that has gone the way of the dinosaur.

You can see some books (i.e. value) take up to two weeks to go from graded to shipped.

I know how hard they are working at CGC. It is not from a lack of effort. Do the math. They did 1,000,000 books in 9 years. The next million in 2. During that time period the staff has not grown to meet the need. Even if the present staff worked 24 hours a day it would be a miracle if they got TAT's to half of what they are. Again, not a dig on the present staff, they just need more straff to help balance the equation.

I’m in business and deal with these sort of resourcing questions a lot.  Normally as the demand increases, you add a bunch of staff to keep everything in check.  By not hiring, they are essentially saying “it is ok for you to have a bad experience but we're a monopoly so suck it up cupcake.”   And if they have grown this much without scaling staff, they are making a lot more profit at the expense of submitter customer experience.

That post was from 7 years ago, interesting post none the less lol

Modern TaT jumped today lol

Now 39 business days for Slow and 20 for FT.

The real problem.... Not enough graders?   Nope

Then John what is the real problem?

Most people submit too much garbage that clogs up the real books.

Yes I am 100% saying most of what people submit you should be embarrassed, especially in the modern section.

Then these dopes auction them on eBay and loss money.  Do your self a favor and check out CGC 9.8 completed auctions on eBay to see that vast abundance of these 1st grade business intelligent people who lose money.

#MakeCGCTaTNormalAgain

Happy Friday

Edited by NewWorldOrder

13 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Modern TaT jumped today lol

Now 39 business days for Slow and 20 for FT.

The real problem.... Not enough graders?   Nope

Then John what is the real problem?

Most people submit too much garbage that clogs up the real books.

Yes I am 100% saying most of what people submit you should be embarrassed, especially in the modern section.

Then these dopes auction them on eBay and loss money.  Do your self a favor and check out CGC 9.8 completed auctions on eBay to see that vast abundance of these 1st grade business intelligent people who lose money.

#MakeCGCTaTNormalAgain

Happy Friday

Not all of us slab our books to sell. Who determines what a "garbage" book is? 

21 minutes ago, Kon_Jelly said:

There are a lot of books that guys grade to complete a set/run, or to chase a registry.  Not that these are 'garbage' books but they have little to no resale value at all, on the VF boards there was a guy selling his valiant commons at auction for 99 cents.  These are books that are actually quite tough in 9.8, but who cares?  The result is he ended up taking a bath.....everyone says they don't sell, but they have to sell their comic books (or their family when you pass) at some point!

30 minutes ago, Kon_Jelly said:

Again, not saying this is a 'garbage' book, but I saw on a FB group a random lois lane comic from the mid 60s in 5.5....why even get that graded?  Books like that just clog up the system...

I get what you're saying, but I'm guessing those books are the minority. I think the issue is more that CGC isn't able to scale. The turnaround rates always go up once the con season is in full swing, but they've had these delays for many years now and they should be able to hire an appropriate level of staff. 

58 minutes ago, Kon_Jelly said:

I get what you're saying, but I'm guessing those books are the minority. I think the issue is more that CGC isn't able to scale. The turnaround rates always go up once the con season is in full swing, but they've had these delays for many years now and they should be able to hire an appropriate level of staff. 

I would be more leery of them hiring temp graders.  Maybe if they had a way to even out the work over the year.  It seems like con season is practically all year long now, isn't it?

3 hours ago, Kon_Jelly said:

If the newly graded modern comic book would sell for less than the actual grading cost of the book comes to my mind first.  I am not singling you out but let say a person subs a Spawn 1 and it comes back a CGC 6.5, what sense does that make?  Not much. (shrug)

I get it your money your books, but just like everyone has the right to submit whatever books they desire I have the right to voice my opinion on how dumb most modern subs to CGC are. 

Here are some recent examples of the countless hundreds you can find where even if the seller got these comics for FREE they still lost money.   Also to answer your point I dont think most books that are this new are bought and slabbed for personal collection in mind.  These sellers can write a book on how to lose money.    

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 11.56.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 11.57.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 11.57.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 11.57.46 AM.png

Edited by NewWorldOrder

1 hour ago, Crops068 said:

I would be more leery of them hiring temp graders.  Maybe if they had a way to even out the work over the year.  It seems like con season is practically all year long now, isn't it?

True, but maybe they also need more support staff, not just graders? Even if the time to grade remains the same, you can save a couple of weeks by just having more people to receive, package, and ship the ones that are graded.  That's the part I don't really understand - if it took my company a week to receive something into our system after it had been sitting in our receiving dock heads would roll.

And yeah, I think officially con season is March-October, so there's only 4 months outside of it. 

1 hour ago, NewWorldOrder said:

If the newly graded modern comic book would sell for less than the actual grading cost of the book comes to my mind first.  I am not singling you out but let say a person subs a Spawn 1 and it comes back a CGC 6.5, what sense does that make?  Not much. (shrug)

I get it your money your books, but just like everyone has the right to submit whatever books they desire I have the right to voice my opinion on how dumb most modern subs to CGC are. 

Here are some recent examples of the countless hundreds you can find where even if the seller got these comics for FREE they still lost money.   Also to answer your point I dont think most books that are this new are bought and slabbed for personal collection in mind.  These sellers can write a book on how to lose money.    

I absolutely will not defend things like those modern flips/sales, but if I have a book that I treasured that I wanted to keep for a long time I'd definitely consider slabbing it. Even if it's a 6.5 Spawn #1. And for those ebay sales, if they truly are losing money every time it'll only go on for so long. There's only so much money you can throw at a money-losing scheme until you run out. 

But I'll flip it around - why isn't it the people who send in 100 copies of the same book to sell later that are clogging up the process? I just want my mid-grade Spawn #1 for my shelf, but I have to wait because some dealer who doesn't even read books has 100 copies of ASM 300 thinking he can flip them for money? Doesn't seem right. 

There are plenty of reasons to send books into CGC, and I find it hard to say that there is a "right" way and a "wrong" way to do it. Mostly. 😊 

Just now, skybolt said:

10 Moderns (normal submission)

4/1 - Delivered to CGC

4/11 - Scheduled for Grading

5/13 - Graded

Encouraging (thumbsu I have a 5 book modern normal seemingly "SFG" on 4/8.... :wishluck: for shipping by week's end :whee: for both of us :foryou: 

5 hours ago, Spawn1709 said:

Quick question. I'm pretty new here and was just wondering how long it takes for people to get the grades back from when CGC receives the book (not the actual book back, just the grade)?

As soon as you see "Finalized / Imaged / Shipped" in your submission status. You will be able to click the link on your invoice number on the left to see the actual grades; the link for the aforementioned phrase takes you to package tracking.

14 hours ago, celluloidbuff said:

As soon as you see "Finalized / Imaged / Shipped" in your submission status. You will be able to click the link on your invoice number on the left to see the actual grades; the link for the aforementioned phrase takes you to package tracking.

How long does it usually take for the graders to grade? 

10 hours ago, Spawn1709 said:

How long does it usually take for the graders to grade? 

It depends on the tier of your submission. You can check their stated TATs on the website under FAQs, but this thread is actually a better indicator of what's currently happening. For instance, if you submitted some moderns and opted for fast track, check a few posts above for boardies who have posted their results in that same tier. Once it says "Scheduled for grading," it's usually a good indication that they'll be graded within the next couple business days, and then they have to go on to quality control for a secondary review before being finalized.