• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

26,949 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Tony S said:

Just a few observations on CGC's current TAT

1) Receiving staff seemed to put in some OT. I received emails on a couple of submissions on Saturday. A good thing, as books were sometimes taking a full five business days to be logged in after delivery. 

2) Does anyone else feel like CGC's current TAT's are a bit on the wonky side? Might I even dare say "unfair"? 

3) CGC is clearly prioritizing keeping Modern TAT at close to 20 business days. But they are doing this by greatly increasing TAT on MORE EXPENSIVE tiers.  Sometimes MUCH MORE expensive tiers. Standard - over 3x the price of Modern - is now just ONE DAY faster than Modern. Economy almost  2x the price is over 2x slower.  

As a dealer, most of the books I submit are for customers. In the past, I've explained to customers CGC's pricing as "Generally, the more your book is worth, the more it costs to grade it. But the faster it gets done" That explanation doesn't work anymore.  Now I basically have to say "CGC gives you the best service and best price on books published after 1975 valued at $200 or less. Older books will take a lot longer unless you pay at least 3.25x  the price of a modern. I can't say why". 

CGC's TAT are sooo much better than six years ago I don't really want to...complain. But Economy costing nearly twice as much and taking over twice as long makes no sense. And Standard at 18 days is crazy. Why? Just so they can get people's modern books - the cheapest service by far - done quickly? 

Agree with everything you said. My walkthu silver age books took 6 days to show received after they signed for them.  But also 2 day air became 5 day air.  Last fall my walkthru books took 6 weeks for pressing and grading.  At this point I am not going to worry about it, I just don't want any more of my books damaged.  It is what it is.  I already figured out the post office refuses to deliver registered mail to me and instead makes me drive 50 miles to get it, they don't even send an email or leave a note.  Thank God I only have 3 more books to send in after this batch.

On 5/31/2019 at 4:17 PM, Hutch88 said:

Dropped off 17 GA/Value tier at Denver Pop Culture Con. :wishluck: Almost no comic vendors, I only saw golden age at one booth. Cgc was great.(thumbsu

Sched. for Grading 6/11? No more Verified? A little unusual... (shrug)

38 minutes ago, Hutch88 said:

Sched. for Grading 6/11? No more Verified? A little unusual... (shrug)

Yes, several months ago CGC redesigned the online portal. There was quite a bit of discussion about the redesign here on the boards with everyone agreeing it was worse that before. It doesn't view well on smart phones and smaller tablets. But the worst is what you noted. CGC eliminated a couple of previous report points on the progress of our books. Now there is only  scheduled for grading, grading/QC and shipped/finalized.  We've lost the received, verified and grading points.  So basically the redesign gives customers less information, less convenience. 

1 hour ago, Tony S said:

Yes, several months ago CGC redesigned the online portal. There was quite a bit of discussion about the redesign here on the boards with everyone agreeing it was worse that before. It doesn't view well on smart phones and smaller tablets. But the worst is what you noted. CGC eliminated a couple of previous report points on the progress of our books. Now there is only  scheduled for grading, grading/QC and shipped/finalized.  We've lost the received, verified and grading points.  So basically the redesign gives customers less information, less convenience. 

We still have "received".  My books have been sitting at received for 11 weeks now, waiting for CCS to press them.

2 hours ago, Tony S said:

53 minutes ago, aszumilo said:

We still have "received".  My books have been sitting at received for 11 weeks now, waiting for CCS to press them.

Yes, I recently learned that "received" still applies to con submissions and apparently CCS as well. Shipped books move straight to "scheduled for grading".

Edited by Supa-Bad-Mofo

2 hours ago, Supa-Bad-Mofo said:

Yes, I recently learned that "received" still applies to con submissions and apparently CCS as well. Shipped books move straight to "scheduled for grading".

Thank you for the clarification. I've not seen "received" since the redesign.  That it appears with convention submissions and CCS submissions (which I don't do) makes sense. 

11 minutes ago, Kon_Jelly said:

My convention sub never said received, although I have seen others posts that say dealer accounts still see the received status. 

So, I guess maybe this is a better way to explain it and maybe I was assuming. It seems that if you submit online, no "received". But, if you fill out a paper submission form "received" status can occur.

2021628707_Screenshot_20190612-061138_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.af5aac148d8b654509ba79e926e90f2d.jpg

6 minutes ago, Supa-Bad-Mofo said:

So, I guess maybe this is a better way to explain it and maybe I was assuming. It seems that if you submit online, no "received". But, if you fill out a paper submission form "received" status can occur.

Ah okay that makes sense - I filled out the online submission form before I dropped it off at the con. 

On 6/7/2019 at 11:12 AM, 1p36DSA said:

Standard is actually a higher service level and they aren’t modern books

ok and ? Did you specify that in your initial post about submitting during Mega-con ? NO, you didn't. So how would i know that? 

anyways blue labels are now graded as of today. No movement with my signature series books though.

2 minutes ago, Asianassassincomics said:

Curious, which tier did you submit? 

2 Silver Age books at the Economy level. I have 6 more books submitted that same day at the value level and they are still not graded. They told July is likely for them. 

Fast Track Value:

Delivered 5/1 (says post office)

Scheduled for grading 5/8

Today 6/12: Still in SFG but the category in the detailed list has been filled in as Universal for all books.  (8 books by the way, 7 SA X-men and 1 GA Marvel Family.)

1 hour ago, AsGold said:

2 Silver Age books at the Economy level. I have 6 more books submitted that same day at the value level and they are still not graded. They told July is likely for them. 

Thanks. That tier was going to be my guess. I have books in the same tier that have been SFG since 4/11 and I've seen 4/3 SFG books already graded and shipped a while ago. However, your books were shipped out after those 4/3 SFG books even though they were received earlier. 

My books have been sitting with the category filled in for almost two weeks without being moved to Grading/Quality control. Hopefully they move to grading soon. 

On 6/6/2019 at 4:18 PM, Capn17 said:

Figure I put in my most recent submission.

Economy - 1
Modern - 3 (Have them in my hands)
Modern with Pressing - 3 (new to this, confident 2/3 will benefit from pressing, looking to see what happens with 3rd)

Submitted on 3/9 (shipped following day)

CGC - Received on 3/16

CCS - Invoiced on 5/29

For the remaining Economy and Moderns, status is still "Received" with a received date of "3/16".  

I assume CGC hasn't received the pressed books yet from CCS?

Update:

1 Economy has now been updated to Received on 6/11 and is now Scheduled for Grading.

3 Moderns have now been updated to Received on 6/12 and is now Scheduled for Grading..

Edited by Capn17
Updated 3 moderns to scheduled.

On 6/7/2019 at 4:12 PM, Crops068 said:

Another I was not expecting at the least to get done until the end of the month.

Dropped off at Fan Expo Dallas - 5/4/2019

Received - 5/13/2019

Scheduled for Grading - 6/3/2019

Gradinig/QC - 6/5/2019

Finalized - 6/7/2019

Shipping - 6/7/2019

This was a 3 book Modern SS sub that didn't have a facilitator involved (the previous one had a facilitator involved for one of the signatures). :whee:

Still have 4 more submissions out there, only 1 of them doesn't have CCS services linked to it, it is a Magazine Modern SS.  Other three I am not expecting before like October.  :headbang:

On 6/5/2019 at 11:02 PM, Crops068 said:

So I am right there with you but this is my 1st submission - Sig Series Modern

Dropped off at Fan Expo Dallas - 5/5/2019

Received - 5/11/2019

Scheduled for Grading - 5/31/2019

Gradinig/QC - 6/3/2019

Finalized - 6/5/2019

Shipping - 6/6/2019 (tomorrow)

I was not expecting this to ship until at least the end of June, this is a pleasant surprise!

Now I wait for the other 5 submissions from the show, 1 is in SFG and another is in Grading/QC, others are at CCS. :roflmao:

Received both of these back without any issues to the boxes (one yesterday and one today).  One has Newton Rings on front and back, only visible at extreme angles though, other three are flawless.