• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

26,953 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, szav said:

It seems their house is not in order right now.  I also have another submission that shows as received and signed by USPS tracking 8 days ago, and it has yet to be entered as received.  Never seen a lag of more than 3 or 4 days on that either.

Try to give them the benefit of the doubt and have been using them for years without ever having contacted them to ask what the hold up is before this one.

I have a submission currently sitting at 12 days since USPS tracking said delivered and yet to be entered as received. Hopefully just a couple more days.

On 6/28/2019 at 10:30 AM, celluloidbuff said:

First batch received 6/6/2019 just moved to Scheduled for Grading 6/28/2019. Not unhappy with this considering the volume of books they're processing right now.

No movement on batch 2.

First batch that was Scheduled for grading 6/28/2019 moved to Grading/Quality Control on 7/2/2019.

No movement on batch 2.

I've mentioned it before - and now it's gotten worse so I'm going to comment on it again. 

I'm not one normally inclined to "criticize" TAT's. I remember the dark days of a decade ago and six month waits.  It's still much better than that time. But my observation is that CGC's current TAT's MAKE NO SENSE>>>>>

CGC is sacrificing everything but WalkThrough and Express to keep the Regular Modern tier at about a month (currently 22 business days) But how does it make any sense for Standard - which costs $65 - to take a week longer than modern that costs $20?  Pay 3.25x MORE $$ and wait a full week longer? (27 days Standard, 22 Modern) Economy tier ($38)  is at 58 business days and Value ($27) is at 82 business days :eek:

The basic idea is supposed to be (I thought anyway) that "the more your books are worth, the more it costs to get them graded. But the faster they get done".  But the current prices and TAT's suggest instead  "we'd rather grade inexpensive modern books over anything else. So we do them much cheaper and much quicker. Please don't send us your old books." 

Edited by Tony S

4 minutes ago, Tony S said:

I've mentioned it before - and now it's gotten worse so I'm going to comment on it again. 

I'm not one normally inclined to "criticize" TAT's. I remember the dark days of a decade ago and six month waits.  It's still much better than that time. But my observation is that CGC's current TAT's MAKE NO SENSE>>>>>

CGC is sacrificing everything but WalkThrough and Express to keep the Regular Modern tier at about a month (currently 22 business days) But how does it make any sense for Standard - which costs $65 - to take a week longer than modern that costs $20.  Pay 3.25x MORE $$ and wait a full week longer? (27 days Standard, 22 Modern) Economy tier ($38)  is at 58 business days and Value ($27) is at 82 business days :eek:

The basic idea is supposed to be (I thought anyway) that "the more your books are worth, the more it costs to get them graded. But the faster they get done".  But the current prices and TAT's suggest instead  "we'd rather grade modern books over anything else. So we do them much cheaper and much quicker. Please don't send us your old books." 

I hear you Tony, but from their standpoint, they probably have an exorbitant amount of Modern books currently in comparison to the other tiers and they need to prioritize.

SDCC is this month, and that means even more Moderns received. 

If this isn't done, then the TAT's will be 6 months. 

14 hours ago, szav said:

First time I've had to post something negative about their service here, but I have a fast track economy (listed TAT time at time of submission was 24 days, as of today 25 days), that is now at 34 business days, with 11 full business days of that at Grading/QC.  Sent what I thought was a polite email and just got a terse reply of "Your submission was received 5/16 and that tier is taking 5 to 6 weeks".

At what point do I email them again or call?  Never had anything at grading QC more than 5 days.

It seems their house is not in order right now.  I also have another submission that shows as received and signed by USPS tracking 8 days ago, and it has yet to be entered as received.  Never seen a lag of more than 3 or 4 days on that either.

Try to give them the benefit of the doubt and have been using them for years without ever having contacted them to ask what the hold up is before this one.

Whats also really bothering me is that they have no problem charging your credit card right away. Charge you and be at their mercy with nothing to be done about it. No communication either. They should really take a page out of PSA's book.

1 hour ago, Tony S said:

CGC is sacrificing everything but WalkThrough and Express to keep the Regular Modern tier at about a month (currently 22 business days) But how does it make any sense for Standard - which costs $65 - to take a week longer than modern that costs $20?  Pay 3.25x MORE $$ and wait a full week longer? (27 days Standard, 22 Modern) Economy tier ($38)  is at 58 business days and Value ($27) is at 82 business days :eek:

The basic idea is supposed to be (I thought anyway) that "the more your books are worth, the more it costs to get them graded. But the faster they get done".  But the current prices and TAT's suggest instead  "we'd rather grade inexpensive modern books over anything else. So we do them much cheaper and much quicker. Please don't send us your old books." 

What if modern books now make up the overwhelming majority of recent submissions? At the last few shows I have attended, the overwhelming majority of books I witnessed being handed over to CGC were modern/modern SS. 

1 hour ago, iae21 said:

I hear you Tony, but from their standpoint, they probably have an exorbitant amount of Modern books currently in comparison to the other tiers and they need to prioritize.

SDCC is this month, and that means even more Moderns received. 

If this isn't done, then the TAT's will be 6 months. 

Yeah, I get that. But how does the explanation that "Value, Economy and Standard tiers have gone way up in TAT because we have received and exorbitant amount of modern tier submissions" make MORE SENSE than saying "TAT on modern tier has gone way up because we have received an exorbitant amoutn of modern tier submissions? 

1 hour ago, netherxvoid said:

Whats also really bothering me is that they have no problem charging your credit card right away. Charge you and be at their mercy with nothing to be done about it. No communication either. They should really take a page out of PSA's book.

A lot of people apparently want to be charged right away.  The place that used to be in a nearby town started out charging when books entered the grading room. But then quit and started charging when received (like CGC does) because they had lots of complaints. Apparently a lot of people don't watch their debit card / credit card balances and spend $$ if it's there. When a grading company charged people's cards 2-3 months later, it put them over the limit and incurred overage charge fees. 

That other place actually ran a poll on their FB page asking people to vote on the change. I watched in astonishment as the OVERWHELMING vote was to charge right away. And this wasn't anonymous. People's names were with their votes. 

5 minutes ago, Tony S said:

Yeah, I get that. But how does the explanation that "Value, Economy and Standard tiers have gone way up in TAT because we have received and exorbitant amount of modern tier submissions" make MORE SENSE than saying "TAT on modern tier has gone way up because we have received an exorbitant amoutn of modern tier submissions? 

Well for 1 and not to step on toes, but the amount of value tier books are finite, and modern is sitting at nearly 45 years worth + 1 year every year

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well for 1 and not to step on toes, but the amount of value tier books are finite, and modern is sitting at nearly 45 years worth + 1 year every year

Finite yes - but finite in a meaningful way? Vintage comic books sold in vastly larger numbers than comic books do today. In the 40's and into the 50's there were titles that collected a million dimes a month.  When I was collecting starting in the 60's 100,000 copies a month circulation got you cancelled.  Today 100,000 copies a month has you in the top 2-3 in circulation. 

I get it that there is a lot of moderns submitted. I don't get why a tier like standard - that costs over 3x more than modern and has a value limit of $1000 - is SLOWER than a tier with a value limit of $200 and costs far, far less.  There is no way standard tier should be a weak slower than modern. 

And think of it this way. Only an insufficiently_thoughtful_person would send a modern worth a grand and list at more than $200 FMV. Because the reward for being honest about the value is paying lots more and waiting lots longer. 

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:29 AM, Bighaley21 said:

5 Books Value Tier:

-Received 3/14/19

-6/18/2019 still sitting at "Scheduled for Grading"

Moved to Grading/Quality Control yesterday. I don't think they're going to hit the TAT mark of 55 business days which is what it was at when I sent them in. :eyeroll:

1 hour ago, Tony S said:

A lot of people apparently want to be charged right away.  The place that used to be in a nearby town started out charging when books entered the grading room. But then quit and started charging when received (like CGC does) because they had lots of complaints. Apparently a lot of people don't watch their debit card / credit card balances and spend $$ if it's there. When a grading company charged people's cards 2-3 months later, it put them over the limit and incurred overage charge fees. 

That other place actually ran a poll on their FB page asking people to vote on the change. I watched in astonishment as the OVERWHELMING vote was to charge right away. And this wasn't anonymous. People's names were with their votes. 

I can understand that but in my mind you should charge when the job is complete. It also sets a bad tone of we have your books and money too bad you have to wait. You're right people have no idea how to manage their finances.

I feel like some of my older books are held hostage sometimes. I've got 2 Standard crossover pressing/grading submissions I sent in the end of February I've called about a few times and they act like they don't even know what books I'm talking about let alone when I might get them back. Still sitting at Received as of today and when I called they said they just got back from CCS. What do you say to that? It's 4 months into it and I paid for Standard service.

I have books that were delivered a week ago, more than a week ago, that don't show as received yet. Apparently they are now logging in books from 6/18. So forget the TAT's, because you really have to add 2 weeks to those dates.

On 7/1/2019 at 12:40 PM, aszumilo said:
On 6/28/2019 at 8:05 AM, aszumilo said:
On 6/19/2019 at 3:31 PM, aszumilo said:
On 6/17/2019 at 3:03 PM, aszumilo said:
On 5/28/2019 at 11:16 PM, aszumilo said:
On 5/17/2019 at 2:26 PM, aszumilo said:

12 book Modern / Press submission
Mailed - 3/16
Delivered - 3/20
Received - 3/26

9 weeks still sitting at received.

12 weeks at received.  Just received an e-mail that 2 books were rejected for pressing due to embossed covers.  I figured this may happen, but, PROGRESS!!!

Scheduled for grading - 6/19 :banana::whee::banana: 

Grading / Quality Control - 6/28

Finalized / Imaged / Shipped - 7/1

Happy with a couple of grades, surprised by one, and puzzled by a couple, especially since they were supposed to have been pressed.  Things that I thought would have pressed out and a couple things that I must have missed or happened while at CGC.  I went thru these books pretty closely and don't recall seeing a couple of things.  Such is life and the grading game.

Post Office Expected delivery - 7/5

4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I'll get them to you later

Going to pick them up after work

9.4 nm very sad

9.8 Edge of spiderverse 

Now I have 3 9.8 edge of spiderverse

be sure to post them in "back from CGC", but all in all not too bad, Congrats!