• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
81 81

26,860 posts in this topic

Modern non-fast track press & grade:

Received - 6/8
Scheduled for Grading - 10/14
Graded / Quality Control - 10/15
Shipped - 10/16

So, a little over 4 months with regular pressing & grading service on Moderns right now.

Edited by Legion HQ

22 hours ago, Zec Cepeida-Conner said:

I dropped off books at NYCC a few weeks ago. Most were CGC SS books, and two were for the normal grading blue label. They're still NOT in the computer system. Any idea of when I can expect them to show up? And in what step of the process do I get charged? Thanks for the help all, this is my first time

Those books submitted will take a while, probably end of next week to show as received. Took in a ton of books this year, might beat out last year. In addition some of CGC's forces are at Baltimore for On-Site Grading, on the plus side it is the last major con of the year, so grading should pick up steam soon.

two submissions received 9/23. 1 Magazine (Batman:Damned) sites says 30 business day turnaround, status is "grading \ quality control". 4 comics, site says 25 business day turnaround, status is "received".  =( Not sure how the magazine, with a longer turnaround time is already being graded but the comics are still just received.

The value submissions that got to cgc in June, were marked as "received"  July 9 and 11. All four actually got there the same day in late June. They are still at "received", I'd like to see them move to verified one of these days.

Edited by skypinkblu

On 10/15/2019 at 5:00 PM, Gaard said:

Modern Prescreen from 9/16 shipped today. About 1 month ... not bad. Did better this time. The first 9.8 prescreen I did had only 7 comics pass. The 2nd sub didn't do much better, only 11 passed. You know what they say though - "3rd time's the charm". This time 21 comics passed. Funny thing though, I had a book rejected from the first sub. Included it with the 2nd sub and it was rejected again. Included it in the 3rd sub (no pressing or anything beforehand) and it passed (shrug).

I have a 25 book Modern prescreen received on 9-27 that is still in received. Hopefully there will be movement on this soon.

41 minutes ago, MustEatBrains said:

Seems all my submissions just disappeared from the tracking screen entirely at some point.  They were there a few days ago now nada.  This happening for anyone else?

Mine keeps doing that too. If i hit the link for the status explanations it appears again.

On 9/26/2019 at 9:35 AM, celluloidbuff said:

Three (3) modern Signature Series (Fast Track w/ press) submitted after this past weekend's Cincinnati Comic Expo:

Received 09/25/2019 (super fast thanks to @Par2ch hand delivering them :banana:)

CCS just charged my credit card on 10/17/2019 for the press. Still no updates otherwise.

On 10/5/2019 at 6:20 AM, spreads said:

Have you tried calling them?

I wouldn't be using any other company to grade than CGC, it's pretty clear that the market has determined what graded books are worth more.  Everyone says, well I have no intention to sell - but the truth is everyone (or their beneficiaries) will have to sell at some point.  

Books finally went too imaging and are now sitting in QC for the last 8 days. This makes roughly 3 months on an Express submission

I will NOT be using this service for awhile , any books that I am looking at selling will go to CBCS , as even if there is a loss in margin the time will make up for itself no question.

Very disappointed in the lack of any customer service or CGC caring at all about contacting me, or sticking to their advertised lead times by any measure.

On 10/17/2019 at 8:59 AM, MustEatBrains said:

Seems all my submissions just disappeared from the tracking screen entirely at some point.  They were there a few days ago now nada.  This happening for anyone else?

I hope your not trying to get a 9.9 out of the ASM 300 I sold you If it happens don't tell me! :P 

On 10/17/2019 at 11:59 AM, MustEatBrains said:

This is a frequent glitch. Most of the time if I hit the magnifying glass (search) button, with nothing in the search box, my orders load. It doesn't always work though...

12 hours ago, UncleBEN said:

Books finally went too imaging and are now sitting in QC for the last 8 days. This makes roughly 3 months on an Express submission

I will NOT be using this service for awhile , any books that I am looking at selling will go to CBCS , as even if there is a loss in margin the time will make up for itself no question.

Very disappointed in the lack of any customer service or CGC caring at all about contacting me, or sticking to their advertised lead times by any measure.

I'm sorry you feel that way, maybe chalk it up to a one-off.  I would strongly recommend against submitting to CBCS in spite of CGC, you're better off just keeping them raw if you really don't want to use CGC's service. 

21 minutes ago, spreads said:

I'm sorry you feel that way, maybe chalk it up to a one-off.  I would strongly recommend against submitting to CBCS in spite of CGC, you're better off just keeping them raw if you really don't want to use CGC's service. 

I would agree here that it is probably a 1 off as they do typically stay respectably close to the times. The biggest gripe I have is how long it takes them to unpack books. I have a sub right now that has been sitting there 3 business days without being unpacked. Modern fast track. Making people pay 9 bucks a book extra for 10 day service then letting the book sit for 3 or 4 days in a box and  then still taking 10 days to grade is scummy IMO. Good service would be to realize the backup and credit people appropriately. 

I have been 100% loyal to CGC and the folks there are certainly nice, but at times like this I do wish there was a viable competitor, if for nothing else just to make them step up their game and do the right thing. The money comes in hand over fist but they can't find staff to open a box? Good grief. 2c

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

I would agree here that it is probably a 1 off as they do typically stay respectably close to the times. The biggest gripe I have is how long it takes them to unpack books. I have a sub right now that has been sitting there 3 business days without being unpacked. Modern fast track. Making people pay 9 bucks a book extra for 10 day service then letting the book sit for 3 or 4 days in a box and  then still taking 10 days to grade is scummy IMO. Good service would be to realize the backup and credit people appropriately. 

I have been 100% loyal to CGC and the folks there are certainly nice, but at times like this I do wish there was a viable competitor, if for nothing else just to make them step up their game and do the right thing. The money comes in hand over fist but they can't find staff to open a box? Good grief. 2c

I think reimbursing people would be top-notch quality service, but how realistic is that?  How many retail companies hand out freebies or steep discounts to poor service - few to none.  I don't think taking a few extra business days is a clear underhanded way to be scummy (their operations could be a bit better), I think we need to really take the published times on their service with a grain of salt.  What would CGC do if they removed the estimated times?  Would people stop submitting?  No, probably not.  We would be forced to go by anecdotal evidence such as this thread for guidelines which would be even more inaccurate.  

At the end of the day, people can submit wherever they want - but if your goal is maximizing resale - which is the primary reason for submitting for most - then it's better to just take a few lousy experiences with the good.  Stopping your feet on the ground and going to another provider (CBCS) is only hurting you.  And what happens if you sell a CBCS book that's a good 30% lower than it's CGC equivalent?  That buyer might just flip it straight to CGC from cross-over service....

15 minutes ago, spreads said:

I think reimbursing people would be top-notch quality service, but how realistic is that?  How many retail companies hand out freebies or steep discounts to poor service - few to none.  I don't think taking a few extra business days is a clear underhanded way to be scummy (their operations could be a bit better), I think we need to really take the published times on their service with a grain of salt.  What would CGC do if they removed the estimated times?  Would people stop submitting?  No, probably not.  We would be forced to go by anecdotal evidence such as this thread for guidelines which would be even more inaccurate.  

At the end of the day, people can submit wherever they want - but if your goal is maximizing resale - which is the primary reason for submitting for most - then it's better to just take a few lousy experiences with the good.  Stopping your feet on the ground and going to another provider (CBCS) is only hurting you.  And what happens if you sell a CBCS book that's a good 30% lower than it's CGC equivalent?  That buyer might just flip it straight to CGC from cross-over service....

If you know of any high grade SA ASM'S that are CBCS graded for 30 % lower than CGC please let me know, I would happily buy them all at that price.