• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

26,949 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, UncleBEN said:

If you know of any high grade SA ASM'S that are CBCS graded for 30 % lower than CGC please let me know, I would happily buy them all at that price.

Is that what you were submitting?  If you try and sell them with CBCS you'll find out how they'll do....they will also take longer to sell which you should be factoring in the sale - time value of money. 

Edited by spreads

On 10/16/2019 at 12:12 AM, Fnaylor1 said:

Submitted 3 value to Denver Comic Con, marked received 6/6, in Grading today 10/16. Hoping for an 11.

My value sub (4 books) that from 6/5 still sits at SFG.

1 hour ago, spreads said:

I think reimbursing people would be top-notch quality service, but how realistic is that?  How many retail companies hand out freebies or steep discounts to poor service - few to none.  I don't think taking a few extra business days is a clear underhanded way to be scummy (their operations could be a bit better), I think we need to really take the published times on their service with a grain of salt.  What would CGC do if they removed the estimated times?  Would people stop submitting?  No, probably not.  We would be forced to go by anecdotal evidence such as this thread for guidelines which would be even more inaccurate.  

At the end of the day, people can submit wherever they want - but if your goal is maximizing resale - which is the primary reason for submitting for most - then it's better to just take a few lousy experiences with the good.  Stopping your feet on the ground and going to another provider (CBCS) is only hurting you.  And what happens if you sell a CBCS book that's a good 30% lower than it's CGC equivalent?  That buyer might just flip it straight to CGC from cross-over service....

All fair points, and that is why I stick with CGC. Just frustrating that they blow 4 days on unpacking a box. I can see if it were in grading where experts are needed but such a simple thing where labor costs are minimal and specialization is not required is absurd. It is definitely nearing that tipping point where it's worth getting a little less in resale if a competitor shows they care more about the customer experience for sure. If more people lean that way because of poor service I could see the value balance out between the books for sure. I think what keeps CGC books more valuable is just the fact that they have been around longer and most people want to keep collections consistent (I know that is the case with me).

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

All fair points, and that is why I stick with CGC. Just frustrating that they blow 4 days on unpacking a box. I can see if it were in grading where experts are needed but such a simple thing where labor costs are minimal and specialization is not required is absurd. It is definitely nearing that tipping point where it's worth getting a little less in resale if a competitor shows they care more about the customer experience for sure. If more people lean that way because of poor service I could see the value balance out between the books for sure. I think what keeps CGC books more valuable is just the fact that they have been around longer and most people want to keep collections consistent (I know that is the case with me).

Grading is like the candy bar market, if you wanted to create a chocolate bar you could do so there's low barriers to entry but the big players are so entrenched they own the market.  I mean, look at this chat board?  This is part of the CGC umbrella, there have been 6 figured sales of comics here - for an internet chat board - that is unbelievable. 

I have nothing against CBCS, but I think anyone going up against CGC has a much bigger uphill battle than they realize.

Modern Pressing (CCS) + Modern Grading - No Fast Track

Received by CCS: 6/24/19

Received by CGC: 10/14/19

Grading/Quality: 10/17/19

Shipped: 10/21/19

Due to arrive to me 10/25... making it a solid 4 month total turn around time. Also it never went to SFG, but this was around time of “glitch” where all books were reverted back to “Received” so who knows...

Edited by wiparker824

1 hour ago, spreads said:

Grading is like the candy bar market, if you wanted to create a chocolate bar you could do so there's low barriers to entry but the big players are so entrenched they own the market.  I mean, look at this chat board?  This is part of the CGC umbrella, there have been 6 figured sales of comics here - for an internet chat board - that is unbelievable. 

I have nothing against CBCS, but I think anyone going up against CGC has a much bigger uphill battle than they realize.

Uphill battle yes, but you'd be surprised how that gap can close when you don't do the right thing when dealing with customer issues. For years there was never a viable competitor, and now there is. When one puts a priority on customer satisfaction, repeat business is more likely. Like I said, I have been loyal, but every time I get annoyed I am one step closer to making the switch.

3 hours ago, Jim M said:

Uphill battle yes, but you'd be surprised how that gap can close when you don't do the right thing when dealing with customer issues. For years there was never a viable competitor, and now there is. When one puts a priority on customer satisfaction, repeat business is more likely. Like I said, I have been loyal, but every time I get annoyed I am one step closer to making the switch.

Agreed, however let's face it CGC sells easier. Some people may not care but I do like the Registry and the Census which are the selling points for me.

20 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

So if Value was at 60 days when I sent the books in, will it be 60 days or more like what's posted now? 

The posted turn around time has to be based on current turn around times since they have no way of looking into the future and seeing how many books will be subbed over the next 3 months.  If they get a huge fast track order a week after they get your order (which clogs up the system and pushes everything back a month for slow boat books) would you expect them to know this when you subbed your books.  It's an all an estimate based on current turn around times.

Before I make a call or bother anyone, does anyone else have a slow track value submission posted received in early July or later that is still listed as received? 

Last year when  I sent in books they were in scheduled for grading for months and listed that way almost from the beginning, which is a change from what it was before, so I don't know if they changed the system, or I should be concerned.

Most times I see "verified" after a few days.

Edited by skypinkblu

On 10/22/2019 at 1:54 PM, Jim M said:

Where's the "viable competitor"?

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

Before I make a call or bother anyone, does anyone else have a slow track value submission posted received in early July or later that is still listed as received? 

Last year when  I sent in books they were in scheduled for grading for months and listed that way almost from the beginning, which is a change from what it was before, so I don't know if they changed the system, or I should be concerned.

Most times I see "verified" after a few days.

I do, but it still falls in the range of the 102 day time frame that they currently have posted. 7/12 received status.

Edited by zeezee

1 hour ago, zeezee said:

I do, but it still falls in the range of the 102 day time frame that they currently have posted. 7/12 received status.

Thank you very much for responding, mine are 7/9 and 7/11, at least I know I'm not alone, they probably changed the procedure!:foryou:

16 hours ago, 1Cool said:

The posted turn around time has to be based on current turn around times since they have no way of looking into the future and seeing how many books will be subbed over the next 3 months.  If they get a huge fast track order a week after they get your order (which clogs up the system and pushes everything back a month for slow boat books) would you expect them to know this when you subbed your books.  It's an all an estimate based on current turn around times.

Then really why even have TATs posted? Really it's a waste of time since fast trackers just keep pushing value further down the road. No more Value Tier for this person.