• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
81 81

26,860 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Before I make a call or bother anyone, does anyone else have a slow track value submission posted received in early July or later that is still listed as received? 

Last year when  I sent in books they were in scheduled for grading for months and listed that way almost from the beginning, which is a change from what it was before, so I don't know if they changed the system, or I should be concerned.

Most times I see "verified" after a few days.

I have a 5 book Value submission received on 6/27 and it is still stuck in Received. I will put up updates when I get them.

58 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

I hate to admit it but the fast track is almost becoming mandatory. It’s pretty bad when I find myself forgetting what books I have out for grading. On the other hand, when I finally get them back, it’s literally like Christmas when I was a kid.

Yeah, but I'm not spending the extra $10 a book to get them faster. Most of the books I send in through the Value tier are for my personal collection. The extra cost for getting books fast tracked can pay for more books to get graded. I saw on CGC's Facebook page that they are hiring for a new grader. We can hope they can get someone in soon.

20 hours ago, 1Cool said:

The posted turn around time has to be based on current turn around times since they have no way of looking into the future and seeing how many books will be subbed over the next 3 months.  If they get a huge fast track order a week after they get your order (which clogs up the system and pushes everything back a month for slow boat books) would you expect them to know this when you subbed your books.  It's an all an estimate based on current turn around times.

Exactly, and again these are general estimates.  I would think the higher the number of estimated days, the higher the variation in how long the service might actually take. 

3 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Then really why even have TATs posted? Really it's a waste of time since fast trackers just keep pushing value further down the road. No more Value Tier for this person.

People like to have estimates but the problem comes when people use them as definites.  You get told that a line in an amusement park will be 45 minutes but what if the ride breaks down for 10 minutes and it really takes an hour.  You can be irritated that your wait time was more then they gave you but when you are dealing so many variables in the future then it has to be seen as a rough estimate.  I remember a time when people were waiting 5 - 6 months for value and a couple months for modern so this recent slow down does not seem so bad compared to the bad old days.

Edited by 1Cool

I think it's quite clear at this point, big bold letters: VALUE TIER - DO NOT SUBMIT IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON MOVING WITHIN THE NEXT 12-18 MONTHS! 

I currently have a batch of non fast tracked modern press and grading...looks like CGC will have them until President Trump is out of office!  lol

4 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

People like to have estimates but the problem comes when people use them as definites.  You get told that a line in an amusement park will be 45 minutes but what if the ride breaks down for 10 minutes and it really takes an hour.  You can be irritated that your wait time was more then they gave you but when you are dealing so many variables in the future then it has to be seen as a rough estimate.  I remember a time when people were waiting 5 - 6 months for value and a couple months for modern so this recent slow down does not seem so bad compared to the bad old days.

I don’t know if the ride breaking down is the best analogy... it’s more like the line says 45 minutes but they let a couple hundred people jump in front of you because they paid an extra $10 and now it’s really an hour for you.

It’s funny because amusement parks actually have fast passes and most work such that the line for the fast pass only allows so many people per ride, so you might have 4 people from fast pass line and 6 from regular line, but it stays steady at that rate such that there’s a low variance in time estimate. 

41 minutes ago, spreads said:

I think it's quite clear at this point, big bold letters: VALUE TIER - DO NOT SUBMIT IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON MOVING WITHIN THE NEXT 12-18 MONTHS! 

I currently have a batch of non fast tracked modern press and grading...looks like CGC will have them until President Trump is out of office!  lol

They may be slow but I highly doubt it will take until 2024 for you to get your books back :devil:

1 hour ago, spreads said:

depends when they arrived... my modern press + grading received 6/24 just got shipped out to me on 10/21. Although, I have a Value Press + Value Grading through received 6/24.... the total turnaround time for that is 177 days currently... which puts it at 3/10 excluding holidays and weekends.

1 hour ago, wiparker824 said:

I don’t know if the ride breaking down is the best analogy... it’s more like the line says 45 minutes but they let a couple hundred people jump in front of you because they paid an extra $10 and now it’s really an hour for you.

It’s funny because amusement parks actually have fast passes and most work such that the line for the fast pass only allows so many people per ride, so you might have 4 people from fast pass line and 6 from regular line, but it stays steady at that rate such that there’s a low variance in time estimate. 

You hit the nail right on the head. The only variance for the TATs is how many people pay more to line jump. Kinda sad that businesses are run that way. That's what I like about a certain presser from this board. There is one price and one line. No jumping in front of others. :headbang:

1 hour ago, Ride the Tiger said:

You hit the nail right on the head. The only variance for the TATs is how many people pay more to line jump. Kinda sad that businesses are run that way. That's what I like about a certain presser from this board. There is one price and one line. No jumping in front of others. :headbang:

We are really speculating on this item.  Was there any turn over of graders?  I believe someone said at Baltimore that the hold up is the encapsulating process so maybe a ton of people are sending back their books and trying to get rid of the newton rings?  I'm sure fast pass people are slowing stuff down a bit but it's probably not all on their heads.

On 10/22/2019 at 4:58 PM, Jim M said:

MFT

Package Delivered to CGC: 10/18/19

MFT

zzz 

Called CGC yesterday. Took the tracking number and said they were on it. Called the same guy today and told me "it's still not in our system.".......Great, you took the tracking number and said you were on it? "yeah, I can just see if it shows up in the system".....:golfclap: 

Clearly they were on it as well as they are on unpacking boxes. Five business days and counting....this is really getting annoying. It would be nice to know my books are safe at least. Is anyone else having this issue or is it just a one off issue that I am having?

3 hours ago, Jim M said:

MFT

zzz 

Called CGC yesterday. Took the tracking number and said they were on it. Called the same guy today and told me "it's still not in our system.".......Great, you took the tracking number and said you were on it? "yeah, I can just see if it shows up in the system".....:golfclap: 

Clearly they were on it as well as they are on unpacking boxes. Five business days and counting....this is really getting annoying. It would be nice to know my books are safe at least. Is anyone else having this issue or is it just a one off issue that I am having?

I know they are still unpacking NYCC submissions from 10/4. I have a number of invoices and the first finally showed up as received. I think they are slammed right now.

5 books submitted at Heroes Con for Grading Modern + Pressing Modern on 6/24/19. Marked Received by CGC on 10/11/19 and shipped to me on 10/23/19. My subscription renewal ran out before the books were received so I ended up having to pay full price. I think if you submit the books while a member you should be invoiced for the member discount based on date of submission. 

On 10/23/2019 at 5:13 PM, skypinkblu said:

Before I make a call or bother anyone, does anyone else have a slow track value submission posted received in early July or later that is still listed as received? 

Last year when  I sent in books they were in scheduled for grading for months and listed that way almost from the beginning, which is a change from what it was before, so I don't know if they changed the system, or I should be concerned.

Most times I see "verified" after a few days.

I also have a 25 book Slow Track Modern Prescreen sub received on 9/27 that is still stuck in Received as well. I will post updates for that too when they start moving.

14 hours ago, SBRobin said:

5 books submitted at Heroes Con for Grading Modern + Pressing Modern on 6/24/19. Marked Received by CGC on 10/11/19 and shipped to me on 10/23/19. My subscription renewal ran out before the books were received so I ended up having to pay full price. I think if you submit the books while a member you should be invoiced for the member discount based on date of submission. 

I have 13 modern books marked received by CGC on the 19th of September, I'm thinking CCS will still have them for a couple more months...for your pressing did you use modern pressing (with or without pressing) or quickpress?