• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

26,949 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, KryptoSpidey said:

I have 6 books via Fast Track Modern in Grading/Quality right now that were recieved 12/31 and i have NOT been charged for the books yet.

I had a book go through WALK THROUGH last week and i too wasn't charged until the end of the day one it was finalized/shipped.

I've had an account with CGC since 2003 so maybe that has something to do with it? I honestly don't know, but the 3 books CCS has now for pressing HAVE been charged for the CCS service, but not the CGC express grading fee's...

I honestly have no idea what difference there are with CGC billing policies, all i know is that i have never, nor currently are being charged until books show graded/imaged/shipped.

You may have been grandfathered in under an old policy. 🤷‍♂️ 

Well, guess i'm SOL. CGC got back with just a single sentence saying to 'direct all inquires to the store'. While I don't expect any details revealed that may compromise the vendors transactions or information (or open CGC up to any liability), should CGC not at least acknowledge they either have my books or no longer have my books on hand (I had the transaction invoice number, all details of the payment, tiers, and everything for my own specific order through the LCS, all with my name and personal details on them)?

23 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

Waiting for books has never been a really big concern to me, but what pressures me is that as soon as books are received and prior to even being verified, my credit card is whacked. Being self employed, your working capital is your life blood. Payment upfront is unnecessary IMO. I would be happier to pay at a later stage closer to completion. In most cases the books are worth more in collateral than the service so I can’t understand the need to have payment months before they perform the service I’m paying for. It’s a strain not being able to use my funds for 85 working days. Besides I’m using a credit card to secure payment on my end. 
PSA the company that grades sports cards as you may know, hit your credit card when grades are available and your order has shipped. I like this because I can usually sell/ eBay the cards before the credit card payment is due, thus not tying up working capital. Come on CGC loosen up or do you really need the money that bad. 

This has surprised me as well. I was charged as soon as they were received at CGC. I didn’t expect to be charged until they started the grading process. 

This is disappointing for obvious reasons.

Edited by ChrispyC66

I understand the reason for charging before they start the work. If they don't, people might not pay, however, when you do work that takes months, you should prorate the payment. Take a small amount at the beginning and charge in steps.

Of course I'm not quite sure why things need to take months. Couldn't they catch up a little by skipping shows for one year?

I still can't figure out why my CC was charged as soon as my modern prescreen was received...not graded (or even looked at) yet. I asked about it (because that's a lot of $) and Jose said to remind them after they are graded, so they can make the necessary adjustments. ???

Of course, I did tell him that they could keep all the money if they just passed all the books. He didn't reply to that. :bigsmile:

No one would care about when credit cards are charged if they just hurried the eff up with their turnaround times. 

Unfortunately there is no incentive for them to change anything about their practices unless people stop submitting and they are forced to change. 

Update for me. Got the LCS owner on the line and got a solid answer from them (I demanded screens shots to prove all the info they were telling me).

My two books were mailed out early July (submitted to the store in June), but they were marked by CGC as being entered into their system as received 11/10/19, and the current status of them is Scheduled for Grading. While I know there is a time between when they actually get the order, file it, process, and THEN mark it as received days/weeks later, I cannot believe it would take FOUR MONTHS to do so, and another two months before even being about to be graded (it was not value tier for these issues). So whose at fault here for the massive bottleneck? Right now it sounds like CGC got the comics delivered to them and they sat around for months before even being acknowledged?

29 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

Update for me. Got the LCS owner on the line and got a solid answer from them (I demanded screens shots to prove all the info they were telling me).

My two books were mailed out early July (submitted to the store in June), but they were marked by CGC as being entered into their system as received 11/10/19, and the current status of them is Scheduled for Grading. While I know there is a time between when they actually get the order, file it, process, and THEN mark it as received days/weeks later, I cannot believe it would take FOUR MONTHS to do so, and another two months before even being about to be graded (it was not value tier for these issues). So whose at fault here for the massive bottleneck? Right now it sounds like CGC got the comics delivered to them and they sat around for months before even being acknowledged?

Is there still tracking data for this shipment?

2 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

What do you mean, from the LCS to CGC? There isn't anything else mentioned in the submission details on CGC, so this is the extent of the info I gathered.

Yeah, when it was delivered to CGC.

On 1/10/2020 at 4:01 PM, KryptoSpidey said:

I've had an account with CGC since 2003 so maybe that has something to do with it? I honestly don't know, but the 3 books CCS has now for pressing HAVE been charged for the CCS service, but not the CGC express grading fee's...

I honestly have no idea what difference there are with CGC billing policies, all i know is that i have never, nor currently are being charged until books show graded/imaged/shipped.

After giving this some more thought I have A rant on why “most” of us are being charged when the books are received...

1. I think CGC has been told by their lawyers/accountants/auditors that they have a liability issue when holding hundreds of thousands of $’s of someone’s assets in a vault for months without a binding authorization to do so. They charge us as proof of authorization to “handle” our assets. 
2. Those members with longer relationships with CGC may be grandfathered in because they are known to CGC and have transacted business with them for years. This essentially makes those members worth the risk of waiting longer before charging them only when services are started or even completed. Those of us that are new to CGC are too “risky” since we are unknown to CGC.

3. Greed! Although I don’t think this is the reason.

but here’s CGC’s problem if these are true...

* They have our assets $$$! So we have no control of them during that time.

* They charge us early for future services, including shipping costs, that don’t occur until months months later $$$

I think we feel charging us when the grading/cleaning/pressing/etc., services are started is fair but charging us for keeping our books in a vault for months is unacceptable.

I’m not a lawyer, so this is just my rant

Edited by ChrispyC66

6 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

Did you get a press? The wait time in pressing is crazy long and once CGC gets the book back from the presser it will put that date on received. It could be that it went to the presser in July and then got sent back to CGC in November. 

I made a split decision today...

I saved to do a 3 book value fast track in March 

But

Decided to "save money"

So

Did a 3 book value slow track today! 

I mean I should end up with them back around the same Time as if I waited till March, right? :roflmao:

Current TAT 92 days! doh!