• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

26,949 posts in this topic

Modern (50 Books)
Delivered to CGC 01/09/20
Received 01/09/20
Scheduled for Grading 02/05/20
Graded/QC 02/07/20

Modern (50 Books)
Delivered to CGC 01/20/20
Received 01/22/20

Modern Quick Press (50 Books)
Delivered to CGC 02/06/20
Received 02/07/20

Modern Full Press Fast Track (12 Books)
Delivered to CGC 02/06/20
Received 02/07/20

2 hours ago, Shockmaster said:

Does anyone have any updates on modern prescreens? I have a 25 book submission in and was wondering where CGC is at on modern prescreens.

It was a little less then 8 weeks a bit ago.  I'm hoping for 6 weeks on my current sub that was received on 1/28.

Group of 5 "economy" books "received " 1/6, finalized 2/6. 

I almost fainted.:fear:

Good job, CGC! :foryou:

Except for the packing...the packing was terrible. All five books wrapped together with one piece of bubble wrap, no cardboard separating them, put into a box with nothing else. The box was small, but there was no other protection.

:frown:

My NYCC Modern submissions w/ standard press are finally starting to get done at CCS.

I have 3 submissions received 10/30 w/ no movement

2 submissions received 10/29 (1 of which just got charged for CCS)

1 submission received 10/24 w/no movement

(shrug)

37 minutes ago, Jasten said:

My NYCC Modern submissions w/ standard press are finally starting to get done at CCS.

I have 3 submissions received 10/30 w/ no movement

2 submissions received 10/29 (1 of which just got charged for CCS)

1 submission received 10/24 w/no movement

(shrug)

The CCS times don't make a ton of sense, I had a poster have his books received after mine being pressed by CCS before I did.  I can only guess there is additional screening (number of books, type of books) that impact an order getting processed over another. 

2 hours ago, spreads said:

The CCS times don't make a ton of sense, I had a poster have his books received after mine being pressed by CCS before I did.  I can only guess there is additional screening (number of books, type of books) that impact an order getting processed over another. 

The fact that people continue to use CCS doesn't make a ton of sense. With CGC, I get it, there is no viable competitor so you have to use them even if you don't like their TAT's or service or whatever. But with CCS, everyone and their grandmother is pressing books these days. There are a ton of pro pressers out there that are both faster and cheaper than CCS. And from what I've read here it's not like CCS is doing superior work either. I just don't get why people are still using them(shrug)

5 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

The fact that people continue to use CCS doesn't make a ton of sense. With CGC, I get it, there is no viable competitor so you have to use them even if you don't like their TAT's or service or whatever. But with CCS, everyone and their grandmother is pressing books these days. There are a ton of pro pressers out there that are both faster and cheaper than CCS. And from what I've read here it's not like CCS is doing superior work either. I just don't get why people are still using them(shrug)

I don't get it either.  I bought a 250 dollar press about 5 years ago, just for my own books I submit.  It's paid for itself about a hundred times over at least.

7 minutes ago, cd4ever said:

I don't get it either.  I bought a 250 dollar press about 5 years ago, just for my own books I submit.  It's paid for itself about a hundred times over at least.

The only reason I can think of is basic laziness. People want to just send the books out once and everything gets taken care of from there and they just get slabs back at the end of it. So they are paying a huge premium and waiting twice as long because... lazy. And then they have the stones to complain when the problem is of their own doing. Society today, gotta love it.

4 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

The only reason I can think of is basic laziness. People want to just send the books out once and everything gets taken care of from there and they just get slabs back at the end of it. So they are paying a huge premium and waiting twice as long because... lazy. And then they have the stones to complain when the problem is of their own doing. Society today, gotta love it.

I'm sure that is part of it but I think a lot of people just don't feel safe sending high end books to pressers they don't know.  We all know some great pressers but to the average Joe on the street its got to be a hard sell to get them to send that first batch of books in for pressing.  The connection to CGC allows people to feel confident their treasures will arrive safe and sound and won't disappear into the night.

6 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I'm sure that is part of it but I think a lot of people just don't feel safe sending high end books to pressers they don't know.  We all know some great pressers but to the average Joe on the street its got to be a hard sell to get them to send that first batch of books in for pressing.  The connection to CGC allows people to feel confident their treasures will arrive safe and sound and won't disappear into the night.

High end? Sure. But most of the people I see on these boards are talking about stuff that falls in the modern and value/econ tier at CGC so they can't be all that high end. I mean honestly, I couldn't give less of a shizz who people use. I just think it's funny that they complain about it here and the solution is very simple but they don't seem to want to look into it and just continue to complain. Complaining isn't going to change anything but you know what might change things at CCS... if their customers took their business elsewhere.

2 hours ago, LordRahl said:

I can at least give you my reasoning. First, its my first time and I generally think people assume CCS is the normal thing to do when submitting and being that it is my first experience, I have nothing else to compare it to. Second, all of the books in question were signature series. Sure I could have had them pressed and then tried to be super careful but the reality is, I was new to SS and lugged all my books to the convention and had no clue what to expect with creators and how they handle the books (some of which I am glad I opted to get pressed). NYCC is so chaotic that I cant imagine our books don't have a higher risk of getting pressable defects while they are being handled. 

That being said, I think you live and learn. I think I had many books pressed that did not need to be and I also think I could have saved a ton of time getting ones that needed it pressed a head of time and being super careful while handling them. I am definitely looking at doing things differently this year and trying out some other avenues to understand my options.