• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
81 81

26,860 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Frederic9494 said:

Yes! My Value submission received on December 18th is finally scheduled for grading :)

Jan 15th is so much closer :whee:

Congrats on yours and thanks for updating!

2 hours ago, KryptoSpidey said:

Gotta figure an extra 10 days for prescreening. At least.

Not sure why but that is the case.  It use to be 5 days for the longest time but I'm guessing they did the bump to give people an incentive to bypass prescreening.  The extra time to do a quick review of the book seems like it would be counter balanced by the reduction in time necessary to grade and slab the rejected books.  But if they say 10 extra days then we wait 10 days.

20 hours ago, LordRahl said:

The fact that people continue to use CCS doesn't make a ton of sense. With CGC, I get it, there is no viable competitor so you have to use them even if you don't like their TAT's or service or whatever. But with CCS, everyone and their grandmother is pressing books these days. There are a ton of pro pressers out there that are both faster and cheaper than CCS. And from what I've read here it's not like CCS is doing superior work either. I just don't get why people are still using them(shrug)

I can't comment on where the criticism of their work derives from, but I've used them for both full and quick press and noticed some major improvements.  The cost is pretty minor, and if I'm going to ship books from Canada that need to be graded and would like a press along the way, I might as well send them all to the same source.  There are many horror stories of Canadians using third party agents to get their books graded and/or pressed, at least in this circumstance I have full control over the process.  

The TATs are horrendous, it hasn't been anywhere near this bad in the past, so if they don't improve I will have to consider alternatives. 

20 hours ago, LordRahl said:

The only reason I can think of is basic laziness. People want to just send the books out once and everything gets taken care of from there and they just get slabs back at the end of it. So they are paying a huge premium and waiting twice as long because... lazy. And then they have the stones to complain when the problem is of their own doing. Society today, gotta love it.

You shouldn't assume people are lazy because it might not be worth their time to seek alternatives.  Before I left my career in the financial markets to pursue real estate, I had two separate and distinct online businesses and have discussed setting up a general-limited partnership with a group of colleagues.  Oh yeah I have a 1 year old daughter that just had her second surgery. 

For me I have to decide, do I want another moving piece of using a second presser, or maybe I don't press and or grade the books at all?  Really at the end of the day I don't need money to sell these books, what my biggest complaints with CCS is CGC absorbed this company and its been deteriorating ever since.  Furthermore, the parent company seems not to address the issues - e.g. why is CGC coming out with 'shipping products'?  Poor business strategy there....

1 hour ago, spreads said:

You shouldn't assume people are lazy because it might not be worth their time to seek alternatives.  Before I left my career in the financial markets to pursue real estate, I had two separate and distinct online businesses and have discussed setting up a general-limited partnership with a group of colleagues.  Oh yeah I have a 1 year old daughter that just had her second surgery. 

For me I have to decide, do I want another moving piece of using a second presser, or maybe I don't press and or grade the books at all?  Really at the end of the day I don't need money to sell these books, what my biggest complaints with CCS is CGC absorbed this company and its been deteriorating ever since.  Furthermore, the parent company seems not to address the issues - e.g. why is CGC coming out with 'shipping products'?  Poor business strategy there....

Not sure why CGC selling shipping materials would be an issue to anyone unless their packing materials guaranteed a grade bump.  They are trying to be a one stop shop which is a smart business practice from what I can see.  Do you think it makes them seem less exclusive or something?

55 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Not sure why CGC selling shipping materials would be an issue to anyone unless their packing materials guaranteed a grade bump.  They are trying to be a one stop shop which is a smart business practice from what I can see.  Do you think it makes them seem less exclusive or something?

It represents a lack of focus of poor value of resources.  Sure, it can be a decent service, but they should be focusing on higher productivity streams of business (CCS). 

Anyone that's worked in the corporate world and has been involved in launching products knows that all companies have to prioritize where to focus their resources to maximize value.  Individual investments are no different, you can have positive IRR, that doesn't mean you should be contributing capital towards it. 

In furtherance....you say 'one stop shop', then wouldn't that include having a pressing company most people use.  Based on Lord Rahl's and a few other comments, 'I don't know why anyone would use CCS', should as hell sound like they're not capturing that audience!

Edited by spreads
edit

17 minutes ago, spreads said:

It represents a lack of focus of poor value of resources.  Sure, it can be a decent service, but they should be focusing on higher productivity streams of business (CCS). 

Anyone that's worked in the corporate world and has been involved in launching products knows that all companies have to prioritize where to focus their resources to maximize value.  Individual investments are no different, you can have positive IRR, that doesn't mean you should be contributing capital towards it. 

In furtherance....you say 'one stop shop', then wouldn't that include having a pressing company most people use.  Based on Lord Rahl's and a few other comments, 'I don't know why anyone would use CCS', should as hell sound like they're not capturing that audience!

I'd say they are too successful at attracting customers which is putting some people off due to the long waits.  i guess they could spend the money spent on packing material on extra presses and pressers but I'm sure there is no lack of capital at CGC but lack of people they want to employ.  But any dummy can ship out some packing material to a customer so they must see it as easy money that compliments the services they already are at capacity.

28 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I'd say they are too successful at attracting customers which is putting some people off due to the long waits.  i guess they could spend the money spent on packing material on extra presses and pressers but I'm sure there is no lack of capital at CGC but lack of people they want to employ.  But any dummy can ship out some packing material to a customer so they must see it as easy money that compliments the services they already are at capacity.

It's not just about lack of money, it's resources.  Launching a product typically involves pulling people away from their regular jobs, or putting them on special projects that reduce capacity.  In this instance instead of gathering a bunch of product, marketing, finance, etc. etc. people about creating a new business then should create a task force to focus on lagging productivity at CCS.  There's only so many business hours in a week and it's about being efficient with your time.  I was a part of a massive product launch involving dozens of employees and ended up costing the company a few million dollars, but the project was eventually canned after two years.  A strategic business decision was made at that time, and I wonder what type of strategic planning goes on at CGC if they're not focusing their efforts on high value adds.  Really, getting more pressers shouldn't be that difficult, ffs! 

28 minutes ago, spreads said:

It's not just about lack of money, it's resources.  Launching a product typically involves pulling people away from their regular jobs, or putting them on special projects that reduce capacity.  In this instance instead of gathering a bunch of product, marketing, finance, etc. etc. people about creating a new business then should create a task force to focus on lagging productivity at CCS.  There's only so many business hours in a week and it's about being efficient with your time.  I was a part of a massive product launch involving dozens of employees and ended up costing the company a few million dollars, but the project was eventually canned after two years.  A strategic business decision was made at that time, and I wonder what type of strategic planning goes on at CGC if they're not focusing their efforts on high value adds.  Really, getting more pressers shouldn't be that difficult, ffs! 

I think it might be though. They would have the same problems with findings pressers that they do with finding graders, with some added on because of the higher potential of a presser damaging books over a grader. I don't think the salaries are all that high. If you are good at pressing you could probably make more money by doing it on your own as opposed to working for them and there is the additional restriction of not being able to sell graded books on the side, which is a pretty big restriction that I could see most people in the hobby viewing as a deal breaker. Finding someone that knows nothing about pressing and training them could work, but I'm sure it is a lengthy process much as training graders would be. 

Just sent some through CCS & CGC. I didn't do FastTrack. Here are my turnaround times so far:

Modern (9 books)

9/23/19 – Received

1/13/20 – CCS Billed

2/7/20 – CGC rec’d (back from press)

2/10/20 – CGC Billed

2/13/20 – Grading/QC

2/14/20 – Shipped

Economy (1 book)

9/23/19 – Received

1/13/20 – CCS Billed

1/17/20 – CGC rec’d (back from press)

1/29/20 – CGC Billed