• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

26,979 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, StreetPreacher said:

And how do they go about hiring more graders anyway?  How does someone become a professional grader?  Do you need to first become well known and respected by grading independently at a comic store?  Is there a practical test?  Is there a comic grading college that I'm not aware of?

Just wondering how you would even go about hiring more people with the credentials to professionally appraise comic books? 

And did that other guy really say that he sent CGC books back in April and still hasn't gotten them back?  I always thought the 6 month thing was just an exaggeration lol.  And if you're doing this to help sell the book for top dollar, then I guess you also have to consider whether the books you're sending will still be as hot when you get the slabs back half a year later?

this may answer some of your questions

As I inbed it lol

I have to admit the meme is funny that shows up as the thread advert, but it's a serious thread posted by cgc, maybe that helps!

On 9/18/2020 at 2:01 PM, djpinkpanther67 said:

Anyone else’s submission status disappear?

I’m getting a statement that I haven’t subbed anything in the past 8 months.

(shrug)

this happens to me on desktop only...i can see the submission on mobile

26 minutes ago, Phill the Governor said:

9 books, Value tier, received on 8/19. Over a month now with no update. 

8/19/20
VALUE
Received

Unfortunately,  Value has a 49 business day turnaround time. The turnaround time was lower on 8/28. But like Murphy's Law, everytime I send a submission in, the turnaround times increase.

shipped.thumb.PNG.00f9281613df505fc2d7693866e1030d.PNG

I am happy with what I got I know the 3x9.6 could of been a 6x9.8 if I opted for cleaning and pressing but I am just pushing to sell my collection and trying to maximize what I could get for each book.

Edited by RLee1978
added how many books for the grades I received

10x Modern slow track (no addl services)

Delivered: 8/10
CGC Rcvd: 8/13
CGC Charged: 8/14
SFG: 9/15
Grading/QC: 9/18
F/I/S: 9/19

I've often wondered about whether or not they work OT and I think I have a definitive answer. I've seen stuff update late at night, but never over weekend. Pretty sure mine updated the submission with grades + notes and marked F/I/S on Saturday, to be shipped out Monday. There's a chance it was done late Friday, but last time I had checked was early Friday evening when CGC's offices had been "closed" for a couple hours. Then again early Saturday afternoon when I saw completed.

Good luck to all of you.

27 minutes ago, skybolt said:

Good to know. Mine were also received on 8/18. Hopefully they'll be shipped today.

Mine were just finalized and shipped as well. :headbang:

Best case scenario was 14 - 9.8's and 1 - 9.2

Results were 13 - 9.8's, 1 - 9.6 & 1 - 8.5 (Definitely my best results up-to-date)

On 9/14/2020 at 1:20 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:
Updated Today! 

Received: 8/15/20
Items: 25
Service: MODERN

Another update today!

On 9/21/2020 at 2:03 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Another update today!

Received :8/15

SFG : 9/14

G/QC: 9/21

F/I/S 9/22 Today!

Pretty Happy with the results overall and will post in the back from CGC this week once received / scanned. 

25 Modern No Prescreening 

9.8: 12

9.6: 7

9.4: 3

9.2: 3

Since so many boardies have been complaining about the Modern Grading, I decided to straight sub  (no pressing/dry cleaning/etc.) a group of 23 books to check it out for myself. 

Received: 8/20/2020

Finalized/shipped: 9/23/20

Results: 23 9.8s out of 23 books submitted.

If you take your time selecting books, you can still nail Modern 9.8s just as consistently now as we did when CGC started up 19 or 20 years ago. It was interesting to see that only 18 of my 50 Strange Academy 1s were worth subbing as potential 9.8s. There are a ton of minor production flaws in current Modern books that weren't as common even a few years back.

2 hours ago, kimik said:

Since so many boardies have been complaining about the Modern Grading, I decided to straight sub  (no pressing/dry cleaning/etc.) a group of 23 books to check it out for myself. 

Received: 8/20/2020

Finalized/shipped: 9/23/20

Results: 23 9.8s out of 23 books submitted.

If you take your time selecting books, you can still nail Modern 9.8s just as consistently now as we did when CGC started up 19 or 20 years ago. It was interesting to see that only 18 of my 50 Strange Academy 1s were worth subbing as potential 9.8s. There are a ton of minor production flaws in current Modern books that weren't as common even a few years back.

I've noticed that some people assume since its a new book its automatically a 9.8.