• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
81 81

26,860 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Standard has gone from 15 days to 18 days. They signed for my books on 10/22, they are not marked as received. So the trick is, don't mark them as received? 

The new norm has been for them to use the not marked received as a way to pad their turn around times.

• 2 Modern Magazines, received 8/31, SFG 9/22, G/QC 9/30, FIS 10/5
  • 6 Modern Comics, received 8/31, SFG 9/29, G/QC 10/7, FIS 10/8
  • 2 Magazine Economy, received 9/21
  • 1 Magazine Modern, received 9/21, SFG 10/2, G/QC 10/9, FIS 10/13
  • 4 Modern Comics, received 9/21, SFG 10/9, G/QC 10/28, FIS 10/28

Speaking of shipped,signed for, recieved..

Shipped 10/14/20

Signed for on 10/19/20

20201028_154358.jpg.b85e182768ae02a3408922f91656cb36.jpg

Also starting to wonder about this Bill Morrison in house signing.  He left last week. When they posted a video on Facbook I was happy to see one of my books selected to be shown( The Beatles) in a video that was mostly Simpsons/ Futurama books ( Green PaintersTape Window Bag)

20201028_155247.jpg.0a5d4cf90de0cf1eefcb6d2f7f59178d.jpg

However now that he has been gone almost a week and these books should either be moving into grading or as I opted on these for the press as well , to CCS yet my submission still sits at received.  Clearly they opened and pulled one of my books so why no update on the status?20201028_154504.jpg.bec46739f05e053d5aa9c9773fec16a3.jpg

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite

18 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Speaking of shipped,signed for, recieved..

Shipped 10/14/20

Signed for on 10/19/20

20201028_154358.jpg.b85e182768ae02a3408922f91656cb36.jpg

Also starting to wonder about this Bill Morrison in house signing.  He left last week. When they posted a video on Facbook I was happy to see one of my books selected to be shown( The Beatles) in a video that was mostly Simpsons/ Futurama books ( Green PaintersTape Window Bag)

20201028_155247.jpg.0a5d4cf90de0cf1eefcb6d2f7f59178d.jpg

However now that he has been gone almost a week and these books should either be moving into grading or as I opted on these for the press as well , to CCS yet my submission still sits at received.  Clearly they opened and pulled one of my books so why no update on the status?20201028_154504.jpg.bec46739f05e053d5aa9c9773fec16a3.jpg

The CCS option will be ~3 weeks by itself and they won't change rcvd status till it comes BACK from them to CGC for grading.  

FWIW - I sent in 2 books for Morrison remarque (not pictured in promo videos :/ ). They were marked SFG on I think 22nd and only hit Grading/QC today. Once they ship, I'll check my notes and post their full schedule.

36 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

The new norm has been for them to use the not marked received as a way to pad their turn around times.

I found that out last year when my books arrived the 3rd week in June and were "received the 2nd week in July.

It's just hard to judge when they may be back and since you can't change Fedex, it's challenging. It's not even the time, it's like playing whackamole trying to be here for them.

7 hours ago, ChrispyC66 said:

What’s the latest TAT to get a Modern Prescreen submission RECEIVED at CGC? My box was delivered to their office on 10/15 by FedEx.

Does it really take 10+ days?

The order was received today, 10/28. So YES it takes 10 days :preach:

4 hours ago, Jaywalker0 said:

The CCS option will be ~3 weeks by itself and they won't change rcvd status till it comes BACK from them to CGC for grading.  

FWIW - I sent in 2 books for Morrison remarque (not pictured in promo videos :/ ). They were marked SFG on I think 22nd and only hit Grading/QC today. Once they ship, I'll check my notes and post their full schedule.

Thank you for the information and reply. I figured as much,  which is the only reason I haven't picked up the phone.  Still when the advertised a guaranteed TAT for these in house signings they need to keep to it. Especially considering the price they have asked for some of these.. That or they need to do the same they have for the rest and keep the prices lower and not guarantee a specific TAT.

12 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Thank you for the information and reply. I figured as much,  which is the only reason I haven't picked up the phone.  Still when the advertised a guaranteed TAT for these in house signings they need to keep to it. Especially considering the price they have asked for some of these.. That or they need to do the same they have for the rest and keep the prices lower and not guarantee a specific TAT.

No probs. Said it before, say it again: CGC is a bit of a black box where everyone's hypothesizing the behind the scenes.   

As far as InHouse TATs, theyre really good about holding to it. I've used the Perez, Claremont, Crain, Morrison and eventually Peter David signins. They promise 3 weeks for grading CGC SS and each of mine were done, out the door, within 7-15 days of actual signing. That impressed me for Claremont. He was there for two days straight signing. Their preview showed actual towers of comics for him to work through. 

You'll be golden. It's CCS that'll hold your books up. But they'll adhere to 6 week promise. 

I appreciate it. Glad to hear that they are still managing to meet or exceed their advertised TAT. I usually do general modern submissions or prescreen and have a better idea of those TAT. That or I send some to Joey first depending on the books. Which I do understand that pressing can take a while.  Think my last press sub was right about 7 months door to door. It is the CCS that I have never used and was unsure of and this is the first in house signing I have subbed. Thank you again.

On 10/10/2020 at 10:23 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

25 comic books submission SFG on Friday, October 9, 2020.

G/QC on October 28, 2020.

18 comic books MST submission arrived at CGC on October 26, 2020; not yet noted as received as of October 28. Well, "it is" 44 days.

21 hours ago, spreads said:

Just got  my four express books back, and the books are sliding easily back and forth inside the slab!  Has the inner well been re-designed?  This is awful, I worry about long term damage to these books.....

IMG-6915.jpg

I'm sorry to learn that. However, I will also write, beautiful books.

My slow track modern press is sitting at 66 business days. Let's hope the current turnaround time of 70 days doesn't keep going up.

Another batch sent for quick press is at 51 business days (current turnaround time is 58).

57 minutes ago, skybolt said:

My slow track modern press is sitting at 66 business days. Let's hope the current turnaround time of 70 days doesn't keep going up.

Another batch sent for quick press is at 51 business days (current turnaround time is 58).

Just a press and not press+grade? 

I have some books getting pressed and grading, is the turnaround time for that 70 days or 70+35 days? 

105 business days is over five months, which is kind of a very long time now that I think about it. 

23 hours ago, spreads said:

Just got  my four express books back, and the books are sliding easily back and forth inside the slab!  Has the inner well been re-designed?  This is awful, I worry about long term damage to these books.....

I would not worry about it. I can feel some of mine shift within the inner well too if I turn too quickly with one in hand. But, I've cut a slab open before and the inner sleeve is a hard plastic, vacuum shut, heat sealed covering. The heat shrink effect produces a bit of a lip all around perimeter of comic, so it's the protective cover that's shifting, not the comic in it. I mean, I've read couple accounts of CGC slab being introduced to a flooded basement situation and the label and case were ruined, but comic in inner sleeve was still A+. 

12 minutes ago, Noah Koessel said:

Just a press and not press+grade? 

I have some books getting pressed and grading, is the turnaround time for that 70 days or 70+35 days? 

105 business days is over five months, which is kind of a very long time now that I think about it. 

Sorry, should've been clearer. The books are being pressed and graded (sow track). As you noted, the current turnaround time is 70 + 44 days. The hope is that even if the books may not go to SFG right after pressing, they would at least have a new received date as they get switched from pressing to grading. 

Edited by skybolt

3 minutes ago, Jaywalker0 said:

I would not worry about it. I can feel some of mine shift within the inner well too if I turn too quickly with one in hand. But, I've cut a slab open before and the inner sleeve is a hard plastic, vacuum shut, heat sealed covering. The heat shrink effect produces a bit of a lip all around perimeter of comic, so it's the protective cover that's shifting, not the comic in it. I mean, I've read couple accounts of CGC slab being introduced to a flooded basement situation and the label and case were ruined, but comic in inner sleeve was still A+. 

Thanks for the info. Not to go off too much on a tangent, I recently sent a couple of CGC graded SA books that were sitting in a safety deposit box for 15 years (they were graded 18-20 years ago). After pressing, both books came back a grade higher and one received an upgrade in page quality. Those inner wells are very protective. 

1 hour ago, skybolt said:

Sorry, should've been clearer. The books are being pressed and graded (sow track). As you noted, the current turnaround time is 70 + 44 days. The hope is that even if the books may not go to SFG right after pressing, they would at least have a new received date as they get switched from pressing to grading. 

Cool. It’s been forever since I’ve had a book pressed, so I forgot exactly how long it was. 

I don’t expect any changes for myself for a while. I’m at like 40 days right now.