• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
81 81

26,860 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Thank you, but I prefer the OttlLite Task Lamb for final grading, combined with, as I wrote, a magnifying glass, as it is quite compact, taking very little room on my grading table.

However, I do have two OttLite Ultimate 3-in-1 Craft Lamp, 24 Watt, Floor Lamp, Table Lamp, Clamp-On Lamp one each for my model train (N and HO scales primarily with some O scale thrown in) and plastic model "work."

Clearly, I have far too many hobbies.

I turn off all the lights and grade by bic lighter. Probably why I also use pre screen. 

18 hours ago, cd4ever said:

Agreed, that is one of the first keys to grading....Light! 

Absolutely. It's also worth buying a light source with an adjustable arm. Changing the angle of lighting helps spot additional defects, stress lines, thumb prints, etc.

I also recommend inspecting each book at least 3 times (on 3 separate occasions) to catch all the defects. Most of the books I send to be CGC graded (ranging from 1979 to 2003) are from my original collection and another original collection I purchased a while back. I'll typically start with 100 books and easily whittle it down to 40 or so after a quick inspection. Next day I'll inspect each of the remaining books very carefully, which eliminates another 20. On the third day I'll do a detailed inspection again and am always surprised to find additional defects I didn't find the night before.

One other thing to note is that some minor defects (like one light corner bend or minor stress line not braking color) are allowed for 9.8 books. Sometimes using high level equipment could lead to over-grading as well. 

Value FT - 9/1 received, 10/15 SFG, 11/4 Grading/QC, Shipped 11/7

Economy FT - 9/1 received, 10/27 SFG, 11/5 Grading/QC, Shipped 11/6

Modern pre screen - 9/1 received, 10/12 SFG, 11/5 Grading/QC, Shipped 11/6

All books were +/- .5 and many were bullseyes from my estimates. My pre screen was 13 of 15 9.8's

2 minutes ago, Chazgee said:

4 Slow Track MODERN
Delivered: 11/2/20
CGC Received: 11/11/20

1 Slow Track VALUE
Delivered: 11/2/20
CGC Received: 11/11/20

well it finally got received :whee: now I don't feel to bad lol but snap, they're still on about 10 days after delivery to marked received :whatthe: 

Just now, ThothAmon said:

Thanks. Do you use a 9.8 pre-screen? Out of 25 what number of 9.8’s are you happy with? Curious as to how the “pros” look at it. 

I don't really prescreen.

I'm happy with anything more than 50%, as I go on the volume route.  

On 11/10/2020 at 2:47 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

The 5th but I kind of cheated on a way

I sent them with 1 magazine that was for the in-house signing so that I could write that on the side to be opened fast.

I had planned on doing the signing first, but since it would be opened quick, I sent the modern sub with it...

@Chazgee maybe that's why you said humbug lol

Oooh, that's smart! Never thought to combine a regular sub w/signing sub. Even mailed both on same day before! If another creator stops by that I take advantage of, I'll have to try this.

My slow track modern submission for pressing/grading hit 74 business days today, which is the current turnaround time for pressing. I contacted CGC and received the standard reply that the order is being finalized at CCS and will be transferred to CGC soon. From past experience this could take anywhere from 1 to 20 business days. :(

I really wish CGC would speed up the "Received" portion of their service (I'm sitting at 8 business days). I do realize that tracking shows the package delivered, but would love to find out sooner if books weren't damaged during shipping. It would suck to find out 2 weeks after the fact.

4 hours ago, skybolt said:

My slow track modern submission for pressing/grading hit 74 business days today, which is the current turnaround time for pressing. I contacted CGC and received the standard reply that the order is being finalized at CCS and will be transferred to CGC soon. From past experience this could take anywhere from 1 to 20 business days. :(

This submission just went into SFG.