• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

26,976 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, sagekilz said:

I just did a 5 book submission last week and initially selected to fast track all of them, saw the cart total, then inevitably went back and unchecked fast track.  Fortunately I'm in no rush for any of my submissions but geeze, come on....

There are members in this thread, possibly yourself too, that have waited literal months just to have the submission(s) be SFG.  Patience is key.

I understand your decision to not submit under fast track as I can't justify the current CGC $10 charge per comic book to do so since if I submit, for example, 25 books that is, of course, another $250 that it would cost me to have my books graded. To state the obvious, clearly, fast track submission works for a lot of folks but, to repeat, it does not for me. The same holds for the signing events CGC is holding.

2 minutes ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I understand your decision to not submit under fast track as I can't justify the current CGC $10 charge per comic book to do so since if I submit, for example, 25 books that is, of course, another $250 that it would cost me to have my books graded. To state the obvious, clearly, fast track submission works for a lot of folks but, to repeat, it does not for me. The same holds for the signing events CGC is holding.

Agreed. Most of the books I submit (which I eventually sell after I change my collecting focus) are in the $40-$80 range (if graded 9.8). Add another $10 to the cost, then it becomes a net loss at the end.

28 minutes ago, skybolt said:

I think that as others have mentioned, CGC should look at hiring temporary employees to help pick-up, open and record books as being received in a timely manner. It won't help with the overall wait time, but at least we'll know the books have arrived safe and sound.

This is a great point.  The most nerve-racking thing in ALL of this is that the actual books get to CGC; what without the books arriving we wouldn't be able to complain about wait times :nyah:

That said, it's terrifying once that box leaves your hands: who knows what's going to happen to it and there are no guarantees.  Peace of mind that it's actually delivered and at minimum, checked in, is worth it's figurative weight in gold.

21 minutes ago, skybolt said:

Agreed. Most of the books I submit (which I eventually sell after I change my collecting focus) are in the $40-$80 range (if graded 9.8). Add another $10 to the cost, then it becomes a net loss at the end.

OFFFFFF TOPIC - without getting too specific, what area of Chicago are you in?

Edited by sagekilz

7 minutes ago, sagekilz said:

This is a great point.  The most nerve-racking thing in ALL of this is that the actual books get to CGC; what without the books arriving we wouldn't be able to complain about wait times :nyah:

That said, it's terrifying once that box leaves your hands: who knows what's going to happen to it and there are no guarantees.  Peace of mind that it's actually delivered and at minimum, checked in, is worth it's figurative weight in gold.

Absolutely. This has everything to do with my distrust in USPS. In the past I've had 2 packages delivered to CGC that were damaged during shipping. One package CGC called to let me know what happened, while the other time they just graded 20 books with a corner bend on all of them. I also had USPS lose a $500 book that they refused to scan since it was pre labeled. Of course I couldn't get my money back because the post office had never recorded the package as accepted. They also had a package with $5,000 worth of recently graded golden age books sitting at the post office for 1 month, until I finally got an employee to look hard to find them sitting in the back.

2 minutes ago, silverweb said:

USPS was horrible during December. They seem to be recovering some

The biggest issue was trying to convince Ebay buyers that I actually did ship their books on Saturday, even though USPS hasn't officially marked them as accepted a few days later.doh!

8 minutes ago, skybolt said:

The biggest issue was trying to convince Ebay buyers that I actually did ship their books on Saturday, even though USPS hasn't officially marked them as accepted a few days later.doh!

One of my sales (handed to the carrier on Dec 26) took almost two weeks to show up in the USPS system and was then delivered. Fortunately, the buyer was understanding, although the sale could have gone bad.  My regular carrier is back, fortunately.

Edited by silverweb

On 2/5/2021 at 9:23 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

On 1/28/2021 at 2:52 PM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

The 35 comic book MSL submission marked as "Received" today, Thursday, December 10, 2020.

"Scheduled for Grading" today, January 28, 2021.

"Grading / Quality Control" on Thursday, February 4, 2021.

25 comic books "Finalized / Imaged / Shipped" on Friday, 2/5/21.

10 comic books Finalized / Imaged / to be Shipped on Monday, 2/8/21.