• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
81 81

26,860 posts in this topic

It used to be a few days from scheduled to be graded/graded/shipped. Maybe 4-5 days at tops. I remember when fast track books would have greades sometimes by day 9. Seems that has gone the way of the dinosaur.

You can see some books (i.e. value) take up to two weeks to go from graded to shipped.

I know how hard they are working at CGC. It is not from a lack of effort. Do the math. They did 1,000,000 books in 9 years. The next million in 2. During that time period the staff has not grown to meet the need. Even if the present staff worked 24 hours a day it would be a miracle if they got TAT's to half of what they are. Again, not a dig on the present staff, they just need more straff to help balance the equation.

Thanks, Joey, as usual, we can count on you to be the voice of reason.

I guess many (including me) are frustrated that CGC is going through incredible growing pains without giving us tangible hope there will be improvements made in the future (e.g., hiring new staff, expanding their location, etc.)

We can only hope CGC reads these forums and understands our concerns.

It used to be a few days from scheduled to be graded/graded/shipped. Maybe 4-5 days at tops. I remember when fast track books would have greades sometimes by day 9. Seems that has gone the way of the dinosaur.

You can see some books (i.e. value) take up to two weeks to go from graded to shipped.

I know how hard they are working at CGC. It is not from a lack of effort. Do the math. They did 1,000,000 books in 9 years. The next million in 2. During that time period the staff has not grown to meet the need. Even if the present staff worked 24 hours a day it would be a miracle if they got TAT's to half of what they are. Again, not a dig on the present staff, they just need more straff to help balance the equation.

Thanks, Joey, as usual, we can count on you to be the voice of reason.

I guess many (including me) are frustrated that CGC is going through incredible growing pains without giving us tangible hope there will be improvements made in the future (e.g., hiring new staff, expanding their location, etc.)

We can only hope CGC reads these forums and understands our concerns.

They do. They are trying, but IMO they are doing the best they can with what they have. When the powers that be decide to add more staff you will see TAT's go down, until then I just don't see it happeneing at a rate anyone (including CGC) will be happy with.

I am still waiting for my economy submission since February. :taptaptap:

It is understandable that CGC is backed up when there are many speculators flipping so many modern variant comics, and regular editions than ever before. It's the 1990's again where too many people are trying to flip quickly as possible and all these flippers keep submitting directly to CGC creating a backlog.

Part of the blame can be placed on CGC for lack of staffing, but at the same token there are too many submissions being sent to CGC from speculators all over the world. Just look at eBay for all of the CGC graded modern books that clog it up daily to see where the problem lies with this whole turn around issue. Both CGC and speculators are to blame for this back log.

It is understandable that CGC is backed up when there are many speculators flipping so many modern variant comics, and regular editions than ever before. It's the 1990's again where too many people are trying to flip quickly as possible and all these flippers keep submitting directly to CGC creating a backlog.

Part of the blame can be placed on CGC for lack of staffing, but at the same token there are too many submissions being sent to CGC from speculators all over the world. Just look at eBay for all of the CGC graded modern books that clog it up daily to see where the problem lies with this whole turn around issue. Both CGC and speculators are to blame for this back log.

Febuary? You got a problem Houston. Chances are you may have made an error on your submission. I think CGC has a box in the basement they though questionable orders. When they get caught up, they will give you a call.

You're blaming the demand for their product for the backlog? Sorry, the blame for the backlog lies wholly with CGC for not investing resources back into their company. But hey, they're a monopoly and if the real money the owners are making comes not from the service, but from the profit made from selling 4, 5, and 6-figure books, then what does it matter to them if you and I wait 7 months to get back our precious collectibles?

Waiting on Econs since February!?!? :o

That sucks donkey walnuts... :facepalm:

As far as CGC is concerned, they really don't care why a book is submitted. If i submit a book to sell or to keep CGC views it the same. What is happening is non-comic people are getting in on the band wagon and trying to make a quick buck. While I do see some similarities comparing today with 1993, the amount of books submitted to CGC should be expected to be on the rise as new collectors and dealers get involved.

Keep in mind that a lot of this has to do with the economy. So many collections are being sold and what happens to them? They are purchased by collectors/other dealers/flippers and sent to CGC. Even if you removed all the modern variants CGC would still have a backlog of books.

Even if you removed all the modern variants CGC would still have a backlog of books.

Hey, I like this idea! :headbang:

And let's add SS to the mix too, that's where there's a real manpower drain... :shy:

:troll:

:acclaim:

Even if you removed all the modern variants CGC would still have a backlog of books.

And let's add SS to the mix too, that's where there's a real manpower drain... :shy:

I would imagine SS books will pass Universal submissions in the not too distant future.

You're blaming the demand for their product for the backlog? Sorry, the blame for the backlog lies wholly with CGC for not investing resources back into their company. But hey, they're a monopoly and if the real money the owners are making comes not from the service, but from the profit made from selling 4, 5, and 6-figure books, then what does it matter to them if you and I wait 7 months to get back our precious collectibles?

Waiting on Econs since February!?!? :o

That sucks donkey walnuts... :facepalm:

I did put the blame on CGC by not hiring extra staff to compensate for the demand. However, when you look at eBay the numbers of moderns being sold far outweigh the gold, silver, and bronze combined at times. CGC needs to keep up with demand, hire more people for the modern submissions as those should be quicker to process and leave the more seasoned graders to review the older books.

As for my submission since February, I submitted this through my local comic shop and asked CGC for an update. CGC has graded the books but they haven't been processed for shipment yet. I believe my LCS is holding the books for bulk shipment on a cheaper shipment rate.

However, the LCS is saying that CGC is taking very long to process on economy submissions for all the books submitted, so I don't know who is pulling the wool over my eyes at this point. I believe it could be the LCS, but with all the complaining on the turnaround times on economy I don't know who to believe anymore.

Also, I am not to happy with the grade, as I got the grade from CGC and its two full grades lower than what I reviewed initially and I am a very conservative grader who has been submitting books to CGC since 2001. I am going to wait for the book to come in, pay for the graders notes when I get it and see what the problem is with the grade. There are many issues right now that I need to figure out between CGC and my LCS regarding this particular submission. I would like to add that this is an isolated incident and not the norm for my submissions.

I would imagine SS books will pass Universal submissions in the not too distant future.

That's amazing (or depressing, as one may view it), any idea of what the current ratio is?

Time for my obligatory CGC running late post:

CGC East and CGC West facilities :idea:

This would lead to all kinds of rumors about which one is faster/slower, tougher/softer grading, other inconsistencies, etc.

but expansion is the way to go. just expand what they have where they are.

Edited by Revat

This isn't going to out to anyone in particular but.......

The general consensus here is to hire more staff, hire more staff, hire more staff. :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

CGC just doesn't just want to hire anyone off the street for a grading position. (shrug)

Thus the main problem is usually the individuals that are the most qualified for the position are probably the same people that do not want to give up selling comics to then in turn take that grader position to probably make less money. There is no coincidence that the people that are usually the best graders also make the best dealers.

I highly doubt CGC will hire anyone for a grading position that doesn't have any prior proven comic book background or interest.

IMO the ideal candidate for a new grader (moderns to start) is 22-27 years old because after that age people are usually just doing comics on the side or have their regular careers in motion.

Do you think someone like Joeypost or Flamming Telepath who are sound graders would just take a position at CGC and give up everything they are financially currently doing? Of course not.

So my point it is not that easy to just sit here and say CGC should just hire some more graders right away. If the position was a CSR than that is easy to find in the local area, but a grader position usually takes these factors:

Comic book proven background

Relocation (as most graders they hire do in fact have to move)

Give up selling comics

Sit behind a desk all day every day and grade other people's comics

New hire's age demographic that makes sense for his/her cost of living and CGC's salary for a new grader

They hire that Savage guy not to long ago, so it will just take time. All you can do it wait or pony up for fast track till they get caught up.

Good graders and the above factors do not just fall off trees, sorry. (shrug)

BTW: You guys do know CGC graders don't want to be behind it is really bothering all of them as it does you.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

John:

Again, I'll ask. What other business am I expected to really care about why they're so far behind in providing the service they've promised. I like the people at CGC that I've met and interacted with. But that doesn't mean it's not crappy business to be woefully behind. It's not professional.

If they offer enough money, people will flock to open positions. Every qualified applicant has their price. My guess is that the wage offered doesn't entice people for the reasons you stated above.