• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

26,979 posts in this topic

I sent in 3 books expected 9.8s, all 3 got 9.8s.. They were shipped last week, so I don't think grading is tight

You were fortunate.

Imho, this last year has been the tightest CGC has ever been on Moderns - I do a ton of SS books where I crack out 9.8s and I've never experienced this many grade drops upon resubmission.

I like tight grading as much as the next guy, but I feel they've moved the needle way too far in the other direction now.

Just got this in an email -

"CGC Expansion Cuts Turnaround Times

CGC reports that it has drastically reduced turnaround times for ALL tiers. In order to keep up with the increasing demands of collectors, CGC has expanded its highly skilled staff and refined its grading and encapsulation processes.

CGC Director of Operations, Harshen Patel, attributes the company’s efficiency to a concerted team effort and sees more progress on the horizon. “We’ve made strong additions to the CGC team with talented employees who fully embrace our commitment to improving the collector’s experience through faster turnaround times,” said Patel. “It’s a great sign that we’ve been able to make these strides at a time when submissions are increasing. We’re taking additional steps right now that we’re confident will continue this positive trend.”

Notably, turnaround times for economical tiers, such as Modern, Economy and Value, which are typically the slowest, have been cut by more than half. Turnaround times continue to drop across the board. See below for a current list of estimated turnaround times.

Current CGC Turnaround Times:

Modern/Signature Series: 38 Days

Fast Track Modern: 11 Days

Value: 40 Days

Fast Track Value: 24 Days

Economy: 40 Days

Fast Track Economy: 24 Days

Standard: 15 Days

Express: 5 Days"

I sent in 3 books expected 9.8s, all 3 got 9.8s.. They were shipped last week, so I don't think grading is tight

You were fortunate.

Imho, this last year has been the tightest CGC has ever been on Moderns - I do a ton of SS books where I crack out 9.8s and I've never experienced this many grade drops upon resubmission.

I like tight grading as much as the next guy, but I feel they've moved the needle way too far in the other direction now.

+1

CGC reports that it has drastically reduced turnaround times for ALL tiers. In order to keep up with the increasing demands of collectors, CGC has expanded its highly skilled staff and refined its grading and encapsulation processes.

CGC Director of Operations, Harshen Patel, attributes the company’s efficiency to a concerted team effort and sees more progress on the horizon. “We’ve made strong additions to the CGC team with talented employees who fully embrace our commitment to improving the collector’s experience through faster turnaround times,” said Patel. “It’s a great sign that we’ve been able to make these strides at a time when submissions are increasing. We’re taking additional steps right now that we’re confident will continue this positive trend.”

Notably, turnaround times for economical tiers, such as Modern, Economy and Value, which are typically the slowest, have been cut by more than half. Turnaround times continue to drop across the board. See below for a current list of estimated turnaround times.

What was it before today?

So for the most part (+1 day for FT modern and +4 days for FT value and economy), everything is supposed to be caught up except for regular moderns, which are still almost double the stated TAT.

Wow - if it only takes 38 business days I might switch over to doing the slow route. The 4 months was too long but 2 months is pretty good.

Wow - if it only takes 38 business days I might switch over to doing the slow route. The 4 months was too long but 2 months is pretty good.

Don't post that then they will go back to taking forever to get your extra money :baiting:

Crazy to think that my recent submittal has been there a week and it may be shipped by the end of next week. Can't beat those turn around times.

You were fortunate.

+1

I'm not as experienced as many around here based on volume, but I think the hardest hit recently is the 9.6/9.8 line. And that's also probably the one that hurts the bottom line the most, too.

A 9.8 is allowed to have (I believe) at least 1 small flaw (i.e a crease), but when I look at my recent 9.6's, I don't see anything wrong with them. And grader's notes are also (typically) not given for 9.6 and above so that won't tell me the problem either.

So is it too much to think that expanded staff = tighter grading? So new people come in to slash the TAT but they are grading very tightly?

+1

Not worth the quicker turn around if the books aren't being graded equally imo

You were fortunate.

+1

I'm not as experienced as many around here based on volume, but I think the hardest hit recently is the 9.6/9.8 line. And that's also probably the one that hurts the bottom line the most, too.

A 9.8 is allowed to have (I believe) at least 1 small flaw (i.e a crease), but when I look at my recent 9.6's, I don't see anything wrong with them. And grader's notes are also (typically) not given for 9.6 and above so that won't tell me the problem either.

I had the same experience with a recent submission. Usually when a book I thought would be 9.8 comes back 9.6, I can figure out why, but this time I have one I've looked at several times and am just left shaking my head as to why it's not a 9.8.

My last batch (Econs) got hammered...I've been submitting books to them since they opened their doors and this group had the most disappointments ever. I got back a Modern submittal a few weeks earlier that seemed about right, and am expecting a Value submittal back in the next few weeks so we'll see. :)

So is it too much to think that expanded staff = tighter grading? So new people come in to slash the TAT but they are grading very tightly?

+1

Not worth the quicker turn around if the books aren't being graded equally imo

I have seen this in multiple submissions that were sent in together or within days of one another. Almost identical sets of books where one is super tight and the other is graded more in line of what I thought the books would come back. Wonder if they are rotating graders.

You were fortunate.

Out of about 100/120 books submitted last year I had (2) 9.6s. So I haven't seen it yet, hopefully I don't.

You were fortunate.

Out of about 100/120 books submitted last year I had (2) 9.6s. So I haven't seen it yet, hopefully I don't.

Are you subbing mostly moderns?