• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

26,949 posts in this topic

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 12:29 PM, joeypost said:

I think CGC was slammed with a large rush order (maybe walk-thru or express) as I have seen some serious slowdown and gaps in books submitted the same day. 

One sub was done and shipped out a few weeks ago, the other one is still sitting at graded almost a month later. 

1111111 01/30/2018 02/19/2018 25 5000 FAST TRACK VALUE Shipped/Safe
  2222222 01/30/2018   25 5000 FAST TRACK VALUE Grading/Quality Control

1 hour ago, joeypost said:
  1111111 01/30/2018 02/19/2018 25 5000 FAST TRACK VALUE Shipped/Safe
  2222222 01/30/2018   25 5000 FAST TRACK VALUE Grading/Quality Control

Wow - 3 weeks for a Value submission?  Definetely worth the fast track to shave off 2 months of waiting.

11 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Wow - 3 weeks for a Value submission?  Definetely worth the fast track to shave off 2 months of waiting.

That was for one of them. Which is why I think CGC got slammed with a bunch of rush books for auction houses. 

Other fast track submitted on the same day is going on 6 weeks. 

On 3/8/2018 at 8:26 AM, Sdmeyer11 said:

Updates in Bold

15 Books CCS Quick Press & Modern Slow Track

Invoiced CCS - 1/5/2018

Received CCS - 1/8/2018

Received CGC - 2/8/2018

Verified - 2/14/2018

Scheduled for Grading - 2/22/2018

Graded - 3/1/2018

QC - 3/7/2018

Shipped - 3/8/2018

I don't understand the point of a quick press. Per the above, CGC sees your books nearly a month after the quick press. By that time, the effects of a quick press will probably have worn off. A fresh Quick pressed book needs to get into the hands of CGC quickly. If the book needs it, get the full press service, if it doesn't don't bother with pressing at all. 

On 3/9/2018 at 12:44 PM, Transplant said:
On 2/28/2018 at 5:17 PM, Transplant said:
On 2/27/2018 at 8:41 AM, Transplant said:

Value sub

Received 12-19-17

SFG 2-26-18

Graded 2-26-18

QC 3-9-18

Shipped 3-12-18

4 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I don't understand the point of a quick press. Per the above, CGC sees your books nearly a month after the quick press. By that time, the effects of a quick press will probably have worn off. A fresh Quick pressed book needs to get into the hands of CGC quickly. If the book needs it, get the full press service, if it doesn't don't bother with pressing at all. 

What are you basing this on Bob? 

10 minutes ago, joeypost said:

11 minutes ago, joeypost said:

I don't want to get in to a pressing debate but from what I have seen and heard, a quick press doesn't do much. I once had a local do a quick press on my book. It looked good, got rid of a minor fold, when it came off the press. By the time I got it home and opened it up the fold was back. I'm sure different pressing services have different definitions of a quick press but in my case the book was pressed and removed while still hot, not allowed to cool down in the press. From what I have been told, a good press takes a while. A good presser will wait to see if the memory comes back and, if so, press it again. BY definition, I am assuming a quick press means exactly that, in and out of the press quickly. I would not want to chance a quick press when a grader won't see it for a month. Cooked food tastes better while it is still hot.

15 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I don't want to get in to a pressing debate but from what I have seen and heard, a quick press doesn't do much. I once had a local do a quick press on my book. It looked good, got rid of a minor fold, when it came off the press. By the time I got it home and opened it up the fold was back. I'm sure different pressing services have different definitions of a quick press but in my case the book was pressed and removed while still hot, not allowed to cool down in the press. From what I have been told, a good press takes a while. A good presser will wait to see if the memory comes back and, if so, press it again. BY definition, I am assuming a quick press means exactly that, in and out of the press quickly. I would not want to chance a quick press when a grader won't see it for a month. Cooked food tastes better while it is still hot.

What you described is everything a presser could do that is bad for the book. In my case, a quick press gets the same attention minus any dry cleaning, etc. The time the book is in the press is the same as the $200,00 book. Maybe you need to be more selective who you use. (thumbsu

1 minute ago, joeypost said:

What you described is everything a presser could do that is bad for the book. In my case, a quick press gets the same attention minus any dry cleaning, etc. The time the book is in the press is the same as the $200,00 book. Maybe you need to be more selective who you use. (thumbsu

That's the problem, different pressers have different definitions of a quick press. There was another thread talking about the differences and one Boardie said 'I called in advance and asked about the differences. I was told a quick press is once thru and that's it. Full press may include additional passes and some hand work if necessary.'   Based on that definition, I wouldn't bother with a quick press. 

I just looked up the definition of a quick press on the CGC website....

For expediency, QuickPress comics only pass through the process once; any remaining defects will not be further treated as they normally would during the full pressing process.

The best candidates for QuickPress tend to be high-grade moderns, which exhibit very few flaws to remove, and mid to low-grade books that have a large number of pressable defects. The QuickPress service is also ideal for raw comics to enhance their appearance in hand.

To maintain the low cost and speed of this tier, CCS does not offer the Screening service for QuickPress

6 hours ago, joeypost said:

That was for one of them. Which is why I think CGC got slammed with a bunch of rush books for auction houses. 

Other fast track submitted on the same day is going on 6 weeks. 

I'm in the same boat. I called CGC today and they said Fast Track Value is running at 6-7 weeks

9 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

That's the problem, different pressers have different definitions of a quick press. There was another thread talking about the differences and one Boardie said 'I called in advance and asked about the differences. I was told a quick press is once thru and that's it. Full press may include additional passes and some hand work if necessary.'   Based on that definition, I wouldn't bother with a quick press. 

Handy work is just them using a tacking iron, I hardy doubt it really gets done based on how many books they receive 

4 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

Handy work is just them using a tacking iron, I hardy doubt it really gets done based on how many books they receive 

You are probably right = you are not getting what you paid for.

You know that you are addicted to CGC when you look at "Your Submissions" daily fully knowing that your CCS/CGC order will not come back until May.  xD

CCS.jpg

Edited by Ron C.

16 hours ago, elove said:

Now hitting around Day 44 of a 23 day turnaround

Or

Entering week 10 of a 6-8 week prescreen turnaround.

I called Monday on my Modern pre-screen received 1/15. I was told they just shipped pre-screens from 1/4 and that they would be getting to mine "soon." I'm guessing at least another 2 weeks before it ships.