current turn around rates at CGC
61 61

12,967 posts in this topic

15,609 posts
5 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

The fact that people continue to use CCS doesn't make a ton of sense. With CGC, I get it, there is no viable competitor so you have to use them even if you don't like their TAT's or service or whatever. But with CCS, everyone and their grandmother is pressing books these days. There are a ton of pro pressers out there that are both faster and cheaper than CCS. And from what I've read here it's not like CCS is doing superior work either. I just don't get why people are still using them(shrug)

I don't get it either.  I bought a 250 dollar press about 5 years ago, just for my own books I submit.  It's paid for itself about a hundred times over at least.

6,151 posts
7 minutes ago, cd4ever said:

I don't get it either.  I bought a 250 dollar press about 5 years ago, just for my own books I submit.  It's paid for itself about a hundred times over at least.

The only reason I can think of is basic laziness. People want to just send the books out once and everything gets taken care of from there and they just get slabs back at the end of it. So they are paying a huge premium and waiting twice as long because... lazy. And then they have the stones to complain when the problem is of their own doing. Society today, gotta love it.

28,162 posts
4 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

The only reason I can think of is basic laziness. People want to just send the books out once and everything gets taken care of from there and they just get slabs back at the end of it. So they are paying a huge premium and waiting twice as long because... lazy. And then they have the stones to complain when the problem is of their own doing. Society today, gotta love it.

I'm sure that is part of it but I think a lot of people just don't feel safe sending high end books to pressers they don't know.  We all know some great pressers but to the average Joe on the street its got to be a hard sell to get them to send that first batch of books in for pressing.  The connection to CGC allows people to feel confident their treasures will arrive safe and sound and won't disappear into the night.

6,151 posts
6 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I'm sure that is part of it but I think a lot of people just don't feel safe sending high end books to pressers they don't know.  We all know some great pressers but to the average Joe on the street its got to be a hard sell to get them to send that first batch of books in for pressing.  The connection to CGC allows people to feel confident their treasures will arrive safe and sound and won't disappear into the night.

High end? Sure. But most of the people I see on these boards are talking about stuff that falls in the modern and value/econ tier at CGC so they can't be all that high end. I mean honestly, I couldn't give less of a shizz who people use. I just think it's funny that they complain about it here and the solution is very simple but they don't seem to want to look into it and just continue to complain. Complaining isn't going to change anything but you know what might change things at CCS... if their customers took their business elsewhere.

226 posts
On 2/11/2020 at 5:05 PM, Gaard said:

My 1/6 modern ps is still at received.

If there's any movement, please keep us updated!

68 posts
2 hours ago, LordRahl said:

The fact that people continue to use CCS doesn't make a ton of sense. With CGC, I get it, there is no viable competitor so you have to use them even if you don't like their TAT's or service or whatever. But with CCS, everyone and their grandmother is pressing books these days. There are a ton of pro pressers out there that are both faster and cheaper than CCS. And from what I've read here it's not like CCS is doing superior work either. I just don't get why people are still using them(shrug)

I can at least give you my reasoning. First, its my first time and I generally think people assume CCS is the normal thing to do when submitting and being that it is my first experience, I have nothing else to compare it to. Second, all of the books in question were signature series. Sure I could have had them pressed and then tried to be super careful but the reality is, I was new to SS and lugged all my books to the convention and had no clue what to expect with creators and how they handle the books (some of which I am glad I opted to get pressed). NYCC is so chaotic that I cant imagine our books don't have a higher risk of getting pressable defects while they are being handled. 

That being said, I think you live and learn. I think I had many books pressed that did not need to be and I also think I could have saved a ton of time getting ones that needed it pressed a head of time and being super careful while handling them. I am definitely looking at doing things differently this year and trying out some other avenues to understand my options.

1,301 posts
2 hours ago, Shockmaster said:

If there's any movement, please keep us updated!

Will do. Still at Received as of right now.

4,042 posts
3 hours ago, Gaard said:

Will do. Still at Received as of right now.

Screenshot 2020-02-13 at 7.37.37 PM.png

1,752 posts

Yes! My Value submission received on December 18th is finally scheduled for grading :)

3,624 posts
Signature Series Standard:

Received: 1/22/20
Shipped: 2/13/20

13,350 posts
1 hour ago, Frederic9494 said:

Yes! My Value submission received on December 18th is finally scheduled for grading :)

Jan 15th is so much closer :whee:

Congrats on yours and thanks for updating!

152 posts

Modern fast track pre-screen books physically received at CGC 2/05, received in the system 2/06 and shipped 2/13.

1,301 posts
7 hours ago, KryptoSpidey said:

Screenshot 2020-02-13 at 7.37.37 PM.png

currentss.thumb.jpg.ff3aad2a27b5f31c1e28b602ba79a3ee.jpg

Maybe I should pickup the phone?

4,042 posts
3 hours ago, Gaard said:

currentss.thumb.jpg.ff3aad2a27b5f31c1e28b602ba79a3ee.jpg

Maybe I should pickup the phone?

Gotta figure an extra 10 days for prescreening. At least.

28,162 posts
2 hours ago, KryptoSpidey said:

Gotta figure an extra 10 days for prescreening. At least.

Not sure why but that is the case.  It use to be 5 days for the longest time but I'm guessing they did the bump to give people an incentive to bypass prescreening.  The extra time to do a quick review of the book seems like it would be counter balanced by the reduction in time necessary to grade and slab the rejected books.  But if they say 10 extra days then we wait 10 days.

2,282 posts
20 hours ago, LordRahl said:

I can't comment on where the criticism of their work derives from, but I've used them for both full and quick press and noticed some major improvements.  The cost is pretty minor, and if I'm going to ship books from Canada that need to be graded and would like a press along the way, I might as well send them all to the same source.  There are many horror stories of Canadians using third party agents to get their books graded and/or pressed, at least in this circumstance I have full control over the process.  

The TATs are horrendous, it hasn't been anywhere near this bad in the past, so if they don't improve I will have to consider alternatives. 

2,282 posts
20 hours ago, LordRahl said:

You shouldn't assume people are lazy because it might not be worth their time to seek alternatives.  Before I left my career in the financial markets to pursue real estate, I had two separate and distinct online businesses and have discussed setting up a general-limited partnership with a group of colleagues.  Oh yeah I have a 1 year old daughter that just had her second surgery. 

For me I have to decide, do I want another moving piece of using a second presser, or maybe I don't press and or grade the books at all?  Really at the end of the day I don't need money to sell these books, what my biggest complaints with CCS is CGC absorbed this company and its been deteriorating ever since.  Furthermore, the parent company seems not to address the issues - e.g. why is CGC coming out with 'shipping products'?  Poor business strategy there....

1,567 posts

Modern standard track - Received 2/14

28,162 posts
1 hour ago, spreads said:

You shouldn't assume people are lazy because it might not be worth their time to seek alternatives.  Before I left my career in the financial markets to pursue real estate, I had two separate and distinct online businesses and have discussed setting up a general-limited partnership with a group of colleagues.  Oh yeah I have a 1 year old daughter that just had her second surgery. 

For me I have to decide, do I want another moving piece of using a second presser, or maybe I don't press and or grade the books at all?  Really at the end of the day I don't need money to sell these books, what my biggest complaints with CCS is CGC absorbed this company and its been deteriorating ever since.  Furthermore, the parent company seems not to address the issues - e.g. why is CGC coming out with 'shipping products'?  Poor business strategy there....

Not sure why CGC selling shipping materials would be an issue to anyone unless their packing materials guaranteed a grade bump.  They are trying to be a one stop shop which is a smart business practice from what I can see.  Do you think it makes them seem less exclusive or something?

2,323 posts

I’ve often wished I could buy their boxes (the larger ones with thick correlated cardboard inserts, where you can ship many books vertically). They’re awesome. I always reuse the ones they send me too. I wish I could just buy a box vs their “kits” though...the way it’s packaged is lame.