• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hellboy 3 may become a reality
1 1

113 posts in this topic

Ron Perlman is going to hit 67 this year. You could tell in the first two he was challenged in some of the more physical scenes since he was in his mid-50s...add another decade, and Hellboy is going to need a walker. Plus, Perlman has lost some of his physical stature...I don't know, it's hard to imagine another actor portraying Hellboy since Perlman nailed it, but its also hard to imagine him doing it again too.

I had the same concerns when Perlman was bringing this up last year. So I totally understand.

But then recently I rewatched the Hellboy movies. Including the making of featurettes. Turns out much of the character physique was foam. So the body is not what they are concerned with. It is the acting and the voice.

We may be okay.

:wishluck:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Hellboy 3 Not Happening Says Del Toro

kS70TPp.png

Fans hoping for a third Hellboy movie from the original creative team, it's sad to say, but you will not be getting your wish. Despite a grassroots campaign that saw director Guillermo del Toro and star Ron Perlman both come out publicly with the desire for a Hellboy 3 just weeks ago, which got significant response from fans on social media, the director broke the news Tuesday morning that it was definitely not happening.

The tweet has a sense of true finality and defeat to it - it's clear del Toro was willing to make this movie as a passion project (meaning he likely would've made little to no money on it), but something major is standing in the way. With the finality, it sounds like either the studio or the rights holder, creator Mike Mignola, have nixed it completely - though that's merely informed speculation. When del Toro posted in January about the possibility of meetings, he said the meetings would be with Perlman and Mignola (though studios would of course also have to be involved); as del Toro and Perlman have both expressed public interest, it must be one of the other two parties that's not interested.

Throughout his career, Ron Perlman has regularly collaborated with Guillermo del Toro – right from the director's debut Cronos, through Blade II, Hellboy, its sequel The Golden Army, and Pacific Rim. If there’s one project moviegoers everywhere want to see the duo tackle together, it’s the final instalment in their Hellboy trilogy, which they never had the chance to make – the powers that be instead choosing to reboot the franchise with last year’s critical and commercial dud.

Speaking to Empire in the Big-Screen Preview issue, Perlman confirmed that he hasn’t seen the 2019 reboot starring David Harbour. “It was none of my business,” he says of the film. “It would only provoke me into whatever things I didn’t need to add to my list of grievances.” Still, if the possibility arose of del Toro returning for a third film in his continuity, Perlman reaffirmed his desire to don the Right Hand of Doom once more. “If Guillermo were to wake up one day and say, ‘You know what Ron? We need to finish the trilogy,’ which is an idea that is near and dear to me, I’d be there in a heartbeat,” the actor says. “But without him I have no interest in donning the make-up again. And you know, I just turned 70. So I would actually go down in history as being the oldest superhero!”

For now, Perlman is set to reunite with del Toro in two future movies – the live-action Nightmare Alley, which the filmmaker was midway through shooting before Coronavirus halted production, and the animated Pinocchio he’s undertaking for Netflix. In that project, Perlman is lending his voice to theatrical puppet-master Mangiafuoco – and according to the actor, it’s going to be a very different take on a tale that most audiences associate with Disney. “I won’t say too much, but it will surprise everyone,” he promises. “No one’s ever seen this take on it. It’s an expose on fascism, and it’s quite powerful.”

Actor Doug Jones has stated that he would love to return for a potential Hellboy 3. The original Hellboy film made its debut in 2004, where it was met with a warm reception from critics and audiences alike, grossing nearly $100 million worldwide during its theatrical run. Due to the film's success, Del Toro was able to make a sequel to the film, Hellboy II: The Golden Army, which was also well received and financially successful, grossing $168 million worldwide. Both films are considered to be some of the best in Del Toro's filmography thus far.

Though both of Del Toro's Hellboy films performed well at the box office, a third film never came to pass. However, facets of his plan for Hellboy 3 have been revealed in the years following the release of the second film. Though fans didn't receive a third film, a reboot of the character was brought to life by Stranger Things' David Harbour. However, the 2019 film was met with a lukewarm reception from critics and audiences, currently resting at a rotten 18 percent critical rating on Rotten Tomatoes, only grossing only $44 million globally against a budget of $50 million in theaters. While fans begin to hope that a third film from Del Toro sees the light of day after the reboot's failure, Doug Jones has revealed his eagerness to return to the role of Abe Sapien.

Original Hellboy star Ron Perlman says he would still consider returning for Hellboy 3 if the movie was ever resurrected, despite the recent reboot. Perlman was the first actor to portray the iconic comics character, starring in Guillermo Del Toro's 2004 Hellboy and reprising the role in 2008's Hellboy: The Golden Army. Despite many rumors over the years, and the project getting close to becoming a reality in 2017, a trilogy-ending Hellboy 3 never materialized, with Del Toro moving on to more personal projects and the character getting rebooted.

That reboot, starring Stranger Things actor David Harbour in the title role, was seen as a hard-R reboot for the character, with the studio hoping it would appeal to more mature audiences and lead to a fresh batch of movies for the franchise. Unfortunately, the movie suffered problems from the start, and it was panned by critics and audiences alike, eventually bombing at the box office. Perlman, who had every right to be angry at losing the role, has remained diplomatic about the reboot, even wishing Harbour luck in the role back in 2017. But, that doesn't mean he's given up on playing the character again.

Now, Perlman has weighed in on playing the character again, telling ComicBook that he'd definitely consider returning to the role despite the fact that there was a reboot. He adds he'd see it as a way to "finish the trilogy" he worked on with Del Toro, but also says he's been forced to move on from the role, admitting he doesn't think he's likely to put on the make-up again. He also makes time to say he likes Harbour and doesn't resent the actor for playing the role in the 2019 movie. You can read his full comments below:

"I'm fond of David Harbour. He's a really good guy and he's a really good actor, so I was hoping for the best for him, but I had my Hellboy epoch, era, was what it was. This has really nothing to do with it. There was no overlap. They were two completely different entities. So I didn't have an opinion about the new Hellboy or a wish for it to succeed or fail, but I did make it clear that if there was a chance to finish the trilogy with Guillermo, as we had done the first two films and in the image of what he had in mind in terms of closing all of the circles, that is something that I would, to this day, consider doing. But, since it [got canceled], then I had moved on and I didn't have an opinion about any of it. And I'm not being effusive or hyperbolic, that's just the truth of it."

'Drawing Monsters' will go inside the creation of the indie anti-hero.

Mike Mignola, the comic book artist known for creating Hellboy, will unveil the secrets behind his horror-filled career in a feature-length documentary.

Mike Mignola: Drawing Monsters will be feature-length and includes interviews with Mignola as well as figures such as Neil Gaiman, Hellboy actor actor Doug Jones, Mythbusters host Adam Savage, Steven Universe creator Rebecca Sugar, Victor LaValle (The Ballad Of Black Tom), artist Tara McPherson, Ayala, Duncan Fegredo, Fábio Moon and Joe Quesada.

“There’s already eighty hours of footage in the can that we have shot over the last year and a half,” says Kevin Hanna, who is producing and co-directing with Jim Demonakos, founder, LightBox Expo and ECCC. “This is an ambitious in-depth documentary to celebrate Mignola’s legacy in style.”

The film is being crowdfunded via Kickstarter, starting today.

“We’re bringing the project to Kickstarter to secure the financing to shoot additional interviews, edit the film and score, and bring the film to market,” said Demonakos. “We want existing fans and curious readers alike to experience Mignola’s art and his incredible world of monsters and misfits.”

Hellboy first starred in his own comic with 1994’s Hellboy: Seed of Destruction, with Mignola's cigar-chomping demon becoming an indie comics hit. It told the story of a demon who is raised by a professor and fights supernatural forces while working for an organization called the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense.

The property has endured for decades, with Guillermo Del Toro directing two features — Hellboy (2004) and Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008). A reboot starring David Harbour was released in 2019.

Kickstarter backers are being offered prints by artists including Mignola and Dave Stewart, Laurence Campbell, Duncan Fegredo, Alex Maleev, Fábio Moon, Mike Norton, Paolo Rivera, Craig Rousseau, Tim Sale and Ben Stenbec.

Filming on the project is expected to continue this fall and winter, with Drawing Demons expected to debut in spring 2022.

During a chat with The Independent, Ron Perlman admitted that he’s not getting any young at 71-years of age but he still wants to give the fans the “epic conclusion” that they deserve. Perlman said, “Am I eager to do Hellboy 3? No, I’m 71 f**king years old. [But] we owe this to the fans, and we should give it to them because it would be an epic conclusion. So Guillermo, if you’re reading, I’m not done pounding you to get this f**king thing done.”

The one condition seems to be Guillermo del Toro’s involvement. If he’s not on board, Perlman isn’t interested in returning. Perlman was given the opportunity to revisit the character in the ill-fated 2019 film but he turned it down because del Toro wasn’t at the helm. Perlman said in 2020 that “the reboot was something I had the opportunity to participate in and decided that the only version of Hellboy I’m interested in is the one I do with Guillermo.”

Should have gone with Hellboy 3

Our first meeting is nearing its end, and I can’t let him go without talking about Hellboy. Coming in the wake of the Stranger Things hype, it was Harbour’s first big movie lead, playing the titular demonic detective. But as a reboot of Guillermo del Toro’s adaptations — hugely popular in their own right — it was always facing an uphill battle. It tanked at the box office, and was mauled by critics.

“It was a very difficult experience because I wanted a lot out of it. I really like [Mike Mignola, Hellboy creator], I like that character,” he says. “And then immediately when it began, even when it was announced, I realised that people did not want that character reinvented. I was very naive and optimistic about what we were going to do.”

The day the film was released to theatres, and it became apparent that it was going to bomb, he called Ryan Reynolds. “I know him a little bit. I called him and I was like, Hey man, I just need to know something. You know Green Lantern? Huge flop for you. What the is that like, because I think I’m going to hit that right now. Am I gonna be okay? Am I gonna survive this?” Reynolds, for his part, was “sweet” about it.