• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hellboy 3 may become a reality
1 1

113 posts in this topic

Thanks for posting that up Bosco (AKA thedreamkiller). It always comes down to money. From what i read it sounds like it would have made a great ending to what i think is a great series of movies.
But I really had no idea how little these two movies made at the box office. It is the DVD and Blu-Ray sales that really made them a hit.
I think sometimes it doesn't matter when a truly artistic director tweaks a genre with an game cast. It's just a market experiment that has been bringing in enough cash to justify finding a potential audience. If the Hellboy flicks flopped like say "Dark City", then yeah they would be considered bombs. I say, third time's the charm! ;)

I hope Hellboy 3 will be made - I liked the first 2 movies which I thought was decent well-plotted into film. :wishluck: If it ever come out - DVD sales will be good.

Thanks for posting that up Bosco (AKA thedreamkiller). It always comes down to money. From what i read it sounds like it would have made a great ending to what i think is a great series of movies.
But I really had no idea how little these two movies made at the box office. It is the DVD and Blu-Ray sales that really made them a hit.
I think sometimes it doesn't matter when a truly artistic director tweaks a genre with an game cast. It's just a market experiment that has been bringing in enough cash to justify finding a potential audience. If the Hellboy flicks flopped like say "Dark City", then yeah they would be considered bombs. I say, third time's the charm! ;)

'Dark City' is an outstanding film. What a cast. And it has Jennifer Connelly. Nuff said!

:cloud9:

'Dark City' is an outstanding film. What a cast. And it has Jennifer Connelly. Nuff said!

:cloud9:

The soundtrack by Trevor Jones was equally outstanding as well. Track #14 "You Have The Power" was used in the first X-Men trailer even. No disrespect to Michael Kamen's X-Men score (the mutant reveal scenes with the cello were so haunting), but Jones would have been a better choice to score the more action oriented scenes. They could have been a great tag team like the way Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard was in The Dark Knight trilogy.

But as I said earlier, after the unique success of The Crow, director Alex Proyas was given a chance for another dark gothic movie to release in the mainstream.

As much as I'd love to see a 3rd HB I think Del Toro has other plans and never intends to return to Hellboy.

Del Toro said he gave up because the movies didn't make enough for Sony to complete the trilogy. But now that the comic hobby as a whole has become a breeding ground for Hollywood movies and TV shows, hopefully Sony sees with the right marketing and quality this could be big.

#HellboyIII

Seems to be picking up steam.

:wishluck:

As much as I'd love to see a 3rd HB I think Del Toro has other plans and never intends to return to Hellboy.

Del Toro said he gave up because the movies didn't make enough for Sony to complete the trilogy. But now that the comic hobby as a whole has become a breeding ground for Hollywood movies and TV shows, hopefully Sony sees with the right marketing and quality this could be big.

#HellboyIII

Seems to be picking up steam.

:wishluck:

I really hope you are right. I'd like to see this series end in a proper trilogy.

2004 and 2008 are a long time ago when it comes to Superhero Box Office and especially foreign markets, it'd be interesting to see what a Hellboy movie could do these days.... still... with Sony handling it,...

And there in lies the biggest concern.

And now they may have another financial concern to deal with.

Variety reports that Sony’s rights to co-distribute the Bond films will expire following the November 6 release of Spectre. Since 2006, Sony has distributed the Bond franchise alongside Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM). But after Spectre, those rights to co-distribute alongside MGM will go to the highest bidder, which could easily be a studio other than Sony.

Ron Perlman Talks HELLBOY III's Direction & Whether He Would Do Other CBMs

Where does it [Hellboy 3] stand right now?

Ron Perlman: It’s not dead. It’s not alive. I’ve been talking about this now for a couple of years, every opportunity I’ve got and I don’t know what prompted me to put it out there on Twitter the other day. But the response has been pretty dramatic. It’s very heartwarming. People should definitely take notice - the people who care about fanbases and stuff like that. After all, those are the guys who make what we do possible. I really, I’m just completely overwhelmed and thank you for your help. I know you caught on to what I was doing and actually enhanced it.

What can the fans do to help get Hellboy III moving and bring it to life?

Ron Perlman: I think what they’ve been doing the past couple of days. I mean, in 48 hours since I dropped that post, I’ve never seen… I’ve been on social media for, I guess, a couple of years, Facebook very recently, I’ve never seen anything with a response to this degree. So, this struck a nerve and the fact that there is a nerve to strike, is one pawn. You have to absolutely take that into account. The fans are doing what they’re supposed to do. Anybody who follows me has been quite vociferous about their passion for seeing this trilogy evolve to where it was meant to evolve to, including yours truly.

Hellboy1.jpg

Perlman Wants 'Hellboy III' But Doesn't Want Your Money

The actor claims that the Hellboy teamed earned the right to close out their trilogy by creating two films that turned a profit and were critical darlings. One possibility that folks started to float around, since he was trying to get fans involved, was the idea of a crowd-funded sequel.

According to Digital Spy, the actor wants no part of that. At the 55th Monte Carlo Television Awards, the site caught up with him and asked about that possibility. They claim he didn't think it was the "job" of fans to fund movie projects.

Perlman Wants 'Hellboy III' But Doesn't Want Your Money

The actor claims that the Hellboy teamed earned the right to close out their trilogy by creating two films that turned a profit and were critical darlings. One possibility that folks started to float around, since he was trying to get fans involved, was the idea of a crowd-funded sequel.

According to Digital Spy, the actor wants no part of that. At the 55th Monte Carlo Television Awards, the site caught up with him and asked about that possibility. They claim he didn't think it was the "job" of fans to fund movie projects.

You can tell Pearlman has a great respect for the fans.