• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a time-limit to reholder without requiring regrade?

4 posts in this topic

Is there a limit to the number of years between reholdering, or does this statement hold true no matter how old the current CGC case is

In other words, if I have an encapsulated comic with a flawless CGC case that is 20+ years old (hypothetically speaking, of course), would it still be reholdered without being considered for regrading?

• Administrator

There is not a time limit, but all books are inspected prior to re-encapsulation and if any damage is noticed then the book will be considered for a regrade.

On the  Verify CGC Certification page, could it be possible to add a statement  if  / when a book has been Re-Holdered .  One extra line or a double date for original and re-holder

Obviously a red or early blue label is a dead give away that a book hasn't been;  and a new holder design means it was within past year and half, 

But what about a 10- 15  year old book that was re-holdered just before the new design ,  It could have been as recent as 2 years ago, maybe 5, or still the original case from 13 years

( I believe the " standard " blue label came out in 2004 or '05, ) most book out there have that style label and holder,

I do check the certification when I purchase books, and if it was originally slabbed prior to 2007 ( I go by 10 years, not 7 )  I send it in for re-holder.

As time goes by, this will become a more important issue, as hundreds of thousands of books