• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DYNAMIC 8 who's got one?

197 posts in this topic

the thing is, with so many of the classic pre-code horror books outside of EC, it is just so hard to find a copy in 6.0 or better for so many issues. I have collected these books going on 25 years and I have always been quite content with VG+ copies of books like WM 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,12, WTOF 3,4,5, 8, Thing 12, and so many others - I love, absolutely love these books in VG+ - that it's really so much fun trying to hunt them down in nice shape. Thrill is so much in the hunt.

I have never even seen some issues of Adventures into Darkness and The UNSEEN (both published by Standard) in any kind of shape better than VG minus.

Of course, we all already know how hard it is to find PCH in any decent shape.

I marvel at ANY PCH in VF or better. They just seem more VERY FINE or better than books in other genres.

I have never even seen some issues of Adventures into Darkness and The UNSEEN (both published by Standard) in any kind of shape better than VG minus.

Of course, we all already know how hard it is to find PCH in any decent shape.

I marvel at ANY PCH in VF or better. They just seem more VERY FINE or better than books in other genres.

Agree on the Standard books. If you see a true 6.0 buy it. Try doing this over 2 years and see how many you end up with....

So look at the CGC census and count up the copies posted here. That will give you a pretty good gauge of the scarcity of this book. My guess is less than 25 copies total. Only two or three in 7.0 or better?

I think that's a fair estimate...we're just speculating but given the knowledge of collectors on these boards it's telling that few have said they have one.

Only two copies have ever sold on Heritage. A lower grade one and a qualified 7.0, it is missing a page. Four total in the CGC census? So the one posted here that is a 7.0 is maybe only second to the Mile High. Berk's copy looked pretty nice. My copy is a solid vg. I imagine a lot of moms tossed this in the trash along with Suspense 3. You wouldn't want the children to be scarred by such horrid imagery. Then compare it to what the kiddies can see today.

So look at the CGC census and count up the copies posted here. That will give you a pretty good gauge of the scarcity of this book. My guess is less than 25 copies total. Only two or three in 7.0 or better?

Granted, but that guess can't include old guard collectors who don't slab and don't frequent the boards.

If that's the case, and it probably is then doh!

I'm sure he meant you to see through that one.

He hasn't fessed up to how many copies he has - but I'm guessing there is always room for another!

I have you Mike, to thank for the copy I have. I was pretty shocked when I was able to get that one. Lucky I guess. I love artist's books like this. I was floored when I realized there was a story with Tuska art inside :angel:

Well, lucky in the sense that I would have kept it if it had been just a tad nicer! Glad it found a good home!

Is this the first true horror cover?

I'm curious since you and a few others have owned the book how you feel about having it conserved, aka restored to CGC? I've seen some bug books submitted by GA boardies. What's the determining factor with a book like mine which is apparently very collect able but has serious condition issues. Or is it so scarce as to be verbodden to even think of it?

If this book is your keeper and you want to be able to read it without further damage, then I'd get it full monte restored. It's not a rare book, and it sure would look nicer as a VF/NM with the awsome black cover than a FA/gd with chips and pieces gone.

Why go to the effort of just leaf casting at that point you might as well do the whole thing. Unless the cost to restore is ridiculous...

My 2 cents

Interesting concept, a VF/NM copy to hold and read, albeit restored.

That might be worthy. I wonder what that would cost to have done hm

Trying to remember the copies I have seen,one comes to mind in San Diego in 98 Ed Jaster had a VG for close to five hundred .Got my low grade in 99 seems to me not to many copies out there to be seen.One went for 700 which was posted in the old CBG before the Internet changed the comic world.Still I have seen less of these books than Punch 12.Looked in the old Overstreets for past sales didn't see any.A few Punch 12s year s back at one thouand for Good and Good plus now the book has vanished into collections.Should be interesting what that Ebay copy gets,just rambling for now!

Trying to remember the copies I have seen,one comes to mind in San Diego in 98 Ed Jaster had a VG for close to five hundred .Got my low grade in 99 seems to me not to many copies out there to be seen.One went for 700 which was posted in the old CBG before the Internet changed the comic world.Still I have seen less of these books than Punch 12.Looked in the old Overstreets for past sales didn't see any.A few Punch 12s year s back at one thouand for Good and Good plus now the book has vanished into collections.Should be interesting what that Ebay copy gets,just rambling for now!

Yep, that is my copy now. My notes say I got it from Ed in 2000. Paid the then princely sum of $700 for it. I don't know how long that book had been on my list, but it must have been quite a while because that seems like stupid money for that book back then.

We all pay stupid money sometimes for the books we want sort of getting caught in the moment.At least you have some cool books with classic covers which other collectors would want.That Dynamic has always been on the radar along with some others,those Chesler covers are great.Enjoy what you collect the rest will into place then on to the next hunt!

Considering a raw GD copy would likely go for around a grand, it seems like a decent price. I thought it might go for closer to 3K, but it fits the rule of diminishing multiples for HTF classic covers as the grade improves.