• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Y The Last Man posted by hammershipdown

7 posts in this topic

Amazing!

Since I'm fairly new to comic books I've been playing a lot of catch up. I first started in 2010 with the lastest Wolverine series, which led me to read X-23, Daken and the Uncanny X-Force. X-23 was great, so I went back and read NYX & the earlier mini-series. Loved them!

Didn't really care for Daken, but the Uncanny X-force is great! However, along the way I felt like I was basically missing a ton of background information on the Marvel universe.

I decided to read the original X-Men series, (just hit issue 251) and am preparing to read the House of M next. This will be my first cross-over (read in order) and I will eventually work my way to the Civi War. (Yeah, I've got a long way to go)

In the meantime, I've picked up a few non-marvel series that I simply love. The Walking Dead is one of my favorite series, I completely devoured them in a few days and honestly feel sad when I got caught up... It's tough to wait for the next issue!

Branching out I just started Y The Last Man a few days ago. Y is my new my favorite and I'll probably finish it by the weekend! I find myself laughing out loud on this one, it is too funny! I'm also happy to see New Line picked it up, but disappointed they are looking to make a feature, rather than a series - Personally, this would be awesome television!

I've got a few other titles on my list now that I've made a few "comic friends" - (Manhattan Project & Runaways) but thought I'd reach out to the collector community here and ask what everyone is reading?

See more journals by hammershipdown

When I bought the beginning of the series I truly enjoyed it (A Boy and His Dog from the 70's movie)....and Zardoz film...2 world ended stories.

At the time I read Y I bought the graphic Novels of The Preacher...I liked this a bit more for the dark setting. Have you read Mouse Guard or Bone?

Anyhow, thanks for sharing

For my money "Preacher" is the best comic series ever written. If you're into the more adult oriented, self contained stuff like "Y The Last Man" (which is another favorite), I'd also recommend "Fables" and you're already on "The Walking Dead" so that's good. Sticking with Kirkman, "Invincible" is a great series too.

I am usually a pretty die hard Marvel fan, but I've branched out a little. Mouse Guard was very good (I had the same experience...sad when it's over and leaves you wanting more). I'm also reading some of the Aspen titles...Charismagic was really good, Soulfire has been great, and I'm getting ready to start reading Lady Mechanika. Back to my first love, Marvel, I am in the process of putting together a collection of reading copies of the Avengers first series. I can't get enough of those.

Outside of comics I've been reading a book called "They Like Jesus, but not the Church" written by a pastor in Santa Cruz, CA who conducted a bunch of interviews with various people he has met in his daily life outside of church. The book focuses on emerging generations (20's and 30's) who are open to Jesus and the unconditional love He offers, but they're turned off by the church. Very good book with a lot of insight into the perceptions (some of which are based in an unfortunate reality, and some that are based on stereotypes) that are out there about Christians.

sig.jpg

Depending on how eclectic your tastes are, I'll recommend "Sweet Tooth". I also really enjoy "Morning Glories", but that is definitely not for everyone. A bit slow/convoluted for a lot of people, but I say just stick with it.

Also, I second the "Fables" recommendation.

Thanks for all the hot tips! I've added every suggestion to my reading list!

I've not touched on any of these titles, except Morning Glories, which I have read... Strangely, I still can't decide if I like it or not....?!?!?! I definately feel like it should be turned into a TV series, but I think I fear it may not end well.... Hard to say, but I'll keep up with it.

Sounds like Fables should go closer to the top of the list!

Preacher is great. I love Garth Ennis stuff. I really like the older Authority series, the newest one I thought wasn't that good, The Boys is an awesome series that is probably going to end in a couple months, and Chronicles of Wormwood is probably my favourite mini series ever. Maybe wikipidia that one as I am not sure if describing the characters in the story would get me in trouble with people. :)