• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 678 Mary Jane variant....
2 2

1,475 posts in this topic

On 6/3/2017 at 9:18 AM, Lethal_Collector said:

Sounds like the market has spoken, twice.  Seller is just out for blood.  It'll never sell for the price he wants.

Jerome

A lot of people just don't bid in "reserve" auctions on principle.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules
Typo

On June 3, 2017 at 1:13 PM, Jaydogrules said:

A lot of people just don't bid in "reserve" auctions on principal.  

-J.

True, Never bid when they have reserve auctions.. But could just be me (shrug)

18 minutes ago, World Devourer said:

That's actually the price of a 9.6 now. Yes, this is indeed the  Variant Age.

No, it's not, at least not according to e-bay sales & accepted offers from the last few weeks.

9.8 linked sale price from above $3850

9.6's sell for $2000 May 5th

9.4's sell for $1800 May 28th won by the same party who made a much higher offer ($900 higher) than the eventual selling price of the 9.6 on May 5th 

Any of the above sales are great for a book that's just a few years old, graded by CGC and then sold -  the only people hurt when these books start to decline are people like the guy Jaydog described Friday as privately paying $5K for a 9.8 and probably the seller of the 9.6 who didn't accept a $2900 offer expire & then let it go for $2K a week later.

:jaws:

25 minutes ago, bababooey said:

No, it's not, at least not according to e-bay sales & accepted offers from the last few weeks.

9.8 linked sale price from above $3850

9.6's sell for $2000 May 5th

9.4's sell for $1800 May 28th won by the same party who made a much higher offer ($900 higher) than the eventual selling price of the 9.6 on May 5th 

Any of the above sales are great for a book that's just a few years old, graded by CGC and then sold -  the only people hurt when these books start to decline are people like the guy Jaydog described Friday as privately paying $5K for a 9.8 and probably the seller of the 9.6 who didn't accept a $2900 offer expire & then let it go for $2K a week later.

:jaws:

Another 9.6 actually went for $2400+, on May 14, which was over $400 higher than what the person paid for the other 9.6 on May 5:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spiderman-678-Mary-Jane-Venom-Variant-CGC-9-6-looks-like-9-8-PGX-CBCS-/122478677183?hash=item1c844c4cbf:g:1DQAAOSwR29ZCq2t

Sometimes auctions work better than accepted offers on ebay.  I think that guy could have gotten between  $4-$4.5k had he just had the balls to do a straight no reserve.  This book only has 8 public sales of a 9.8 in the five and a half years its been out, so pricing it straight up can be difficult.   Prospective sellers either seem to auction it with some silly reserve or put up an absurdly high BIN. If you don't have a private buyer, sometimes a straight auction is just the way to go on these kinds of books.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Another 9.6 actually went for $2400+, on May 14, which was over $400 higher than what the person paid for the other 9.6 on May 5:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spiderman-678-Mary-Jane-Venom-Variant-CGC-9-6-looks-like-9-8-PGX-CBCS-/122478677183?hash=item1c844c4cbf:g:1DQAAOSwR29ZCq2t

Sometimes auctions work better than accepted offers on ebay.  I think that guy could have gotten between  $4-$4.5k had he just had the balls to do a straight no reserve.  This book only has 8 public sales of a 9.8 in the five and a half years its been out, so pricing it straight up can be difficult.   Prospective sellers either seem to auction it with some silly reserve or put up an absurdly high BIN. If you don't have a private buyer, sometimes a straight auction is just the way to go on these kinds of books.  

-J.

14 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

OK, I was responding to World Devourer, he's the halfwit who said 9.6's sell for $3800 & then after I listed a couple results you show me a $2400 auction result and he says "there you go" to me. lol.....like your response proved he wasn't wrong.

In other words.  :whatev:

I saw that result but a cursory look at that auction result begs two questions, where is the buyer's feedback to the seller AND why are all of the top participants in that auction showing at least one bid retraction in their six month history.  Have a look and tell me the ID & the bid of the highest bidder without a bid retraction in the last six months!   I've been on e-bay for well over a decade and have never retracted a bid. (shrug)

34 minutes ago, bababooey said:

OK, I was responding to World Devourer, he's the halfwit who said 9.6's sell for $3800 & then after I listed a couple results you show me a $2400 auction result and he says "there you go" to me. lol.....like your response proved he wasn't wrong.

lollollol...his response made me go "huh???".

17 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

To me, this is always the way to go.  If you are scared the book will sell at a low price, just have a buddy bid it up and if he ends up winning the book, you can just cancel the auction. I have seen this "strategy" used many, many times

1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:

To me, this is always the way to go.  If you are scared the book will sell at a low price, just have a buddy bid it up and if he ends up winning the book, you can just cancel the auction. I have seen this "strategy" used many, many times

Agreed. I suspect a few dealers use this tactic as well.

3 hours ago, fatlab123 said:

Friend just sent me this about this book

IMG_20170703_171741_01.jpg

Well that just sucks.  Sales price seemed somewhat low to me.  Now I know why.  I'm sure the guy will get his money back.  

Looking back at the original listing, there was no clear picture of the serial number on the label.  That should have been the first red flag.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules