• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 678 Mary Jane variant....
2 2

1,475 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, fatlab123 said:

Friend just sent me this about this book

IMG_20170703_171741_01.jpg

I saw this today on Instagram and was going to post this. Wow. Hope it all works out for the buyer. Craziness for sure. 

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 1:23 PM, Jordysnordy said:
On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:18 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Another 9.6 actually went for $2400+, on May 14, which was over $400 higher than what the person paid for the other 9.6 on May 5:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spiderman-678-Mary-Jane-Venom-Variant-CGC-9-6-looks-like-9-8-PGX-CBCS-/122478677183?hash=item1c844c4cbf:g:1DQAAOSwR29ZCq2t

Sometimes auctions work better than accepted offers on ebay.  I think that guy could have gotten between  $4-$4.5k had he just had the balls to do a straight no reserve.  This book only has 8 public sales of a 9.8 in the five and a half years its been out, so pricing it straight up can be difficult.   Prospective sellers either seem to auction it with some silly reserve or put up an absurdly high BIN. If you don't have a private buyer, sometimes a straight auction is just the way to go on these kinds of books.  

-J.

To me, this is always the way to go.  If you are scared the book will sell at a low price, just have a buddy bid it up and if he ends up winning the book, you can just cancel the auction. I have seen this "strategy" used many, many times

And you are okay with this "strategy"?

17 hours ago, ygogolak said:
17 hours ago, fatlab123 said:

Friend just sent me this about this book

IMG_20170703_171741_01.jpg

Just saw that. Damn, hope he's able to recoupe his cash AND the person gets busted.

See I feel for buyers wanting this book. High money books like this bring out the con artists. As long as it he paid using a CC or Paypal he should be fine. It will just be a long process. 

The seller if they didn't know has to be stroking out. Its a triple hit to their account, reputation, and ebay feedback.

Edited by fastballspecial

3 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

See I feel for buyers wanting this book. High money books like this bring out the con artists. As long as it he paid using a CC or Paypal he should be fine. It will just be a long process. 

The seller if they didn't know has to be stroking out. Its a triple hit to their account, reputation, and ebay feedback.

I know it is all just speculation at this point - hell, the buyer could be scamming - but I tend to believe the seller was trying to pull something here. Look at the photos for the original auction and combine that with this accusation. Looking at the seller's other slabs, they seem to include a picture of both the front and back of the slab in question, but they didn't do that with this ASm listing.

Seller has also changed their account name to thejerichomile444, for whatever that is worth.

6 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

3 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I know it is all just speculation at this point - hell, the buyer could be scamming - but I tend to believe the seller was trying to pull something here. Look at the photos for the original auction and combine that with this accusation. Looking at the seller's other slabs, they seem to include a picture of both the front and back of the slab in question, but they didn't do that with this ASm listing.

Seller has also changed their account name to thejerichomile444, for whatever that is worth.

Yeah it is starting to look very bad for them. I hadn't notice the back picture missing that would have been a red flag immediately good catch.

18 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

Thank you buddy, adding that to the blocked list too.

Jerome

On 6/27/2017 at 10:54 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Another 9.6 actually went for $2400+, on May 14, which was over $400 higher than what the person paid for the other 9.6 on May 5:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spiderman-678-Mary-Jane-Venom-Variant-CGC-9-6-looks-like-9-8-PGX-CBCS-/122478677183?hash=item1c844c4cbf:g:1DQAAOSwR29ZCq2t

Sometimes auctions work better than accepted offers on ebay.  I think that guy could have gotten between  $4-$4.5k had he just had the balls to do a straight no reserve.  This book only has 8 public sales of a 9.8 in the five and a half years its been out, so pricing it straight up can be difficult.   Prospective sellers either seem to auction it with some silly reserve or put up an absurdly high BIN. If you don't have a private buyer, sometimes a straight auction is just the way to go on these kinds of books.  

-J.

That auction winner mentioned  a few days ago appears to be competing to buy another copy that is active now.

http://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/282537508707?item=282537508707&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

If I had time I'd go back to see how many of the historical e-bay sales linked in this thread were won by repeat buyers who retract bids & never leave buyer feedback.  Geez.

1 hour ago, WhyYouNo said:

How is what you described not shill bidding?

Hey mods, since you're auto-hiding my posts in this thread why don't you get rid of this shill account.  Thanks in advance. :nyah:
edit -I guess it's just certain posts getting 'hidden' - `12 minutes & no post.  :whistle:
wonder if where it will end up sequentially....
edit again - hey mods, there is a guy trying to sell a cbcs graded asm 1 in the WTB section click here, your welcome. 

Edited by bababooey
talking to myself

3 hours ago, bababooey said:

That auction winner mentioned  a few days ago appears to be competing to buy another copy that is active now.

http://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/282537508707?item=282537508707&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

If I had time I'd go back to see how many of the historical e-bay sales linked in this thread were won by repeat buyers who retract bids & never leave buyer feedback.  Geez.

There were no retracted bids in the auction in question, the seller left feedback for the buyer, and I'm quite certain it isn't unheard of in the history of comics that someone has bought or sought to own more than one copy of a book. 

And damn, a 9.8 SS reprint of the book just went for $775.  :whatthe:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-man-678-Quinones-La-Mole-Variant-CGC-SS-9-8-STAN-LEE-DAN-SLOTT-/361924080180?hash=item54445b3234:g:sU8AAOSw4A5YwSrw

-J.

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

There were no retracted bids in the auction in question, the seller left feedback for the buyer, and I'm quite certain it isn't unheard of in the history of comics that someone has bought or sought to own more than one copy of a book. 

And damn, a 9.8 SS reprint of the book just went for $775.  :whatthe:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-man-678-Quinones-La-Mole-Variant-CGC-SS-9-8-STAN-LEE-DAN-SLOTT-/361924080180?hash=item54445b3234:g:sU8AAOSw4A5YwSrw

-J.

Our little friend :whatthe: is getting a lot of use these days. Encapsulates the general dismay over current prices...

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

How do you add to the block list on ebay?  I can only block buyers.

Sign into Ebay

Click on the link below

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/manage_bidders_ov.html#block

Click the "Block bidders or buyers from your listing page." link

There's a big text box, just fill in the username(s) separated by a comma (,) and a space. 

It lets you add 5,000 names.  I suggest you start with the Ebay Blocked Usernames Thread found here, then add this guy separately (assuming he isn't already in that list)

Jerome