• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 678 Mary Jane variant....
2 2

1,475 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Marwood & I said:
7 hours ago, ebtorres said:

I've had two of these in my hands before they hit these outrageous prices. The first one is a sad story...

I purchased a raw copy off eBay. The seller had it as NM and had decent pics posted from which I thought the book could hit 9.4 as is and probably higher if pressed, so I purchased it for, iirc, $150. The seller mailed it quickly, but sadly just put it in a bubble envelope, no cardboard, nothing! At time of delivery, the mailman of course folded it in half to fit it in the mailbox, so y'all can imagine my disappointment when I opened the envelope and saw what was inside... :( 

Mailed it back for a full refund. I'm sure the seller must've sold for more soon thereafter.

The other I had was also a raw copy and I sold it a few years ago for a decent profit, but nothing near the current exorbitant prices.

I can relate to that @ebtorres

I sold these two a few years back for what I thought at the time was a ridiculous amount:

667ve.thumb.jpg.e5dee1304cc1de637fdfd9cc9c8ea0d3.jpg  678ve.thumb.jpg.b81338167480f58b73a480c0dad1d43e.jpg

I realize one book is somewhat rarer then the other, but its an easy choice for me which cover I like better. (Hint its on the right.)

7 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Oh wow i did not know you had the Del'Otto variants Marwood, or rather i forgot because you did mention that you had every single variant at one time ,

Key word 'had' :sorry:

On 20/11/2017 at 12:29 AM, Jaydogrules said:

667, 678, 688 are the holy trinity of late Spider-Man variants.  

-J.

667ve.thumb.jpg.96fc3b86081ac4df95a00385556fb5ff.jpg  678ve.thumb.jpg.600e39dd5132a5f23f09538edcb02891.jpg  688ve21.thumb.jpg.ec168c21dd22eb30c2c5cf99ae93e34c.jpg  

:cry:                                                                                 :cry:                                                                             :cry:

2 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

667ve.thumb.jpg.96fc3b86081ac4df95a00385556fb5ff.jpg  678ve.thumb.jpg.600e39dd5132a5f23f09538edcb02891.jpg  688ve21.thumb.jpg.ec168c21dd22eb30c2c5cf99ae93e34c.jpg  

:cry:                                                                                 :cry:                                                                             :cry:

That's just crazy.  (worship)

I'll just let this be a reminder to me for why I never sell my books.   :|

-J.

Just now, Jaydogrules said:

That's just crazy.  (worship)

I'll just let this be a reminder to me for why I never sell my books.   :|

-J.

Tell me about it....

10 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

So I have to ask.... did you really sell ALL of your late ASM variants, or do you have any left?  :baiting:

-J.

I sold them all J - every single one. 

It's no big deal. Comics are like that, you collect, you sell, you collect again etc. I purchased the holy trinity (667, 678, 688) for the equivalent of $15 each when they first came out. 667 is supposed to be so scarce, yet I picked mine up from my tiny local comic shop in England! How does that work?

I sold the three for roughly $2,000. At the time, that was a ridiculous amount. If someone had told me that they would escalate to more than that amount each, I and probably anyone else would've said they were barmy. Modern books tended to get really hot, then really cool, really quickly. But these 3 bucked the trend. It happens.

I came to the boards late, after I'd sold everything. If I'd have joined sooner, I may have kept some as I'd have been able to bask in the glow with other collectors. None of my UK friends like comics, it's a singular hobby for me, so I had no one to 'bounce off' of if you see my point.

I don't get too fussed about it now - other things have taken over in my life and I'm just happy that I owned them and, at one point, probably had the most complete ASM collection in the world (not the best, but possibly the most complete - pence, cents, AUS, CAN, variants, MJI etc etc). It was never about the money for me, but financially, turning $45 into $2,000 was great. But I sold AF15 in a 7.0 for £70 when I was a teenager to buy clothes so you can't get hung up on that.

I had a ball collecting them, and a ball selling them. And I made more than I spent, so it worked out ok. 

All that said, when I look at these old records......

1.thumb.PNG.6c9ad82d766826c2961a0e65aafd5314.PNG

2.thumb.PNG.a288da909394de8d5f9b017380631962.PNG

3.thumb.PNG.23d49ecc7f6a8841a539f885903c9160.PNG

4.thumb.PNG.9a1110eda0b32c593b2e72e5f8dae1bb.PNG

hm

3 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

I sold them all J - every single one. 

It's no big deal. Comics are like that, you collect, you sell, you collect again etc. I purchased the holy trinity (667, 678, 688) for the equivalent of $15 each when they first came out. 667 is supposed to be so scarce, yet I picked mine up from my tiny local comic shop in England! How does that work?

I sold the three for roughly $2,000. At the time, that was a ridiculous amount. If someone had told me that they would escalate to more than that amount each, I and probably anyone else would've said they were barmy. Modern books tended to get really hot, then really cool, really quickly. But these 3 bucked the trend. It happens.

I came to the boards late, after I'd sold everything. If I'd have joined sooner, I may have kept some as I'd have been able to bask in the glow with other collectors. None of my UK friends like comics, it's a singular hobby for me, so I had no one to 'bounce off' of if you see my point.

I don't get too fussed about it now - other things have taken over in my life and I'm just happy that I owned them and, at one point, probably had the most complete ASM collection in the world (not the best, but possibly the most complete - pence, cents, AUS, CAN, variants, MJI etc etc). It was never about the money for me, but financially, turning $45 into $2,000 was great. But I sold AF15 in a 7.0 for £70 when I was a teenager to buy clothes so you can't get hung up on that.

I had a ball collecting them, and a ball selling them. And I made more than I spent, so it worked out ok. 

All that said, when I look at these old records......

1.thumb.PNG.6c9ad82d766826c2961a0e65aafd5314.PNG

2.thumb.PNG.a288da909394de8d5f9b017380631962.PNG

3.thumb.PNG.23d49ecc7f6a8841a539f885903c9160.PNG

4.thumb.PNG.9a1110eda0b32c593b2e72e5f8dae1bb.PNG

hm

Sometimes it's just a matter of right time, right place and the luck of the draw.  I live in a large, metropolitan city and none of the LCS in the area didn't even know about the 667.  It took me eight months to find to track down a copy from a small LCS owner in Newfoundland  (Canada) lol .   

You had some great books there I see it looks like you even had most (or all) of the 666's as well.   Some of those have only 500 copies.  That was a heck of a collection you had there.  Lots of really great stuff.  But definitely don't have any regrets about selling, you did very, very well.

-J.

2 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Sometimes it's just a matter of right time, right place and the luck of the draw.  I live in a large, metropolitan city and none of the LCS in the area didn't even know about the 667.  It took me eight months to find to track down a copy from a small LCS owner in Newfoundland  (Canada) lol .   

You had some great books there I see it looks like you even had most (or all) of the 666's as well.   Some of those have only 500 copies.  That was a heck of a collection you had there.  Lots of really great stuff.  But definitely don't have any regrets about selling, you did very, very well.

-J.

Cheers J. I got 139 of the 140 666's in the end. Mac's was the missing one as I recall. I think the rot set in when my LCS wanted £350 for the Ditko 700. I thought I'd hold out, to see if it dropped in value (it was never going to be the end was it!) and then we had 49 or so variants of the v3 relaunch. Most of them were bad covers and I just thought it was time to bail. I did think about keeping the 700 set, but if you're a completist you kind of want everything and can be a bit all or nothing sometimes. So I went for nothing. 8,000 Spidey comics, including a few thousand ASM, whittled down to 30 books left and a few bits of original art. That's all I now have to show I was once a comic nutter. Oh, and a few shabby pence books relating to my pence / Miller research.