• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 678 Mary Jane variant....
2 2

1,475 posts in this topic

turning down $1000 dollars on that book is crazy imo, regardless of whatever else they are throwing in. Unless you are a completionist ASM guy.

Though I suppose if you bought the book after market, maybe your margin isnt that great....still. Nothing has happened to show the book is worth that or can sustain it.

If you slabbed it yourself, you are making like $1000 bucks profit on one modern book :ohnoez:

I bought both my copies off the newstand for $6.99 and both came back cgc 9.8. I sold one already to a boardie. I am a complete ASM collector, but finding every variant is going to be massively insane. I might let it go to fill in the remained of my ASM (non-variant) run.

I bought both my copies off the newstand for $6.99 and both came back cgc 9.8. I sold one already to a boardie. I am a complete ASM collector, but finding every variant is going to be massively insane. I might let it go to fill in the remained of my ASM (non-variant) run.

The biggest problem with collecting all the ASM variants is issue #666. There are well over 130 variants of that issue alone. If you buy them separately the shipping costs are killer, and so are the costs of the variants.

I got my #678 variant from dcbservice for $25 and sold it on Ebay raw/ungraded for $175. So I was happy with that until I found out graded copies were being bought for 1k.

Way too much to buy a modern book for but hats off to the sellers as they are laughing all the way to the bank.

I got my #678 variant from dcbservice for $25 and sold it on Ebay raw/ungraded for $175. So I was happy with that until I found out graded copies were being bought for 1k.

Way too much to buy a modern book for but hats off to the sellers as they are laughing all the way to the bank.

one abhorrent sale of 1k occurred out of no where. Then people started selling them for more, and asking for more on them. But I dont think there have been very many sales above 1k?

how many have there been?

asking price, isnt sale, only completed sales count.

one abhorrent sale of 1k occurred out of no where. Then people started selling them for more, and asking for more on them. But I dont think there have been very many sales above 1k?

how many have there been?

asking price, isnt sale, only completed sales count.

I've heard of quite a few ungraded copies going for over $300, and the graded ones going for quite a high price. Not a huge loss, on my part as I've grown tired of chasing all the variants.

Just pretty shocking how this one variant still fetches a high dollar, when most variants don't hold their value.

There are just a small handful of variants that have any sort of staying power. Batman 608 RRP and Spider-man 300 Chromium are the ones that come to mind mostly....

This could be one of few, but it's difficult to say for sure. It's also difficult to know when one variant will break out and it's far to expensive/difficult to chase every variant.

It's Mary Jane as Venom....enough said. Mind blowing

I think if you look at comic books printed within the last 10 years, and only include the list of ones worth "$1000" and up....it would be a short list, and you could have a healthy debate about whether this belongs on it.

Would love to know how many of these were printed....#678 was a bit of a nothing issue and I'm wondering how many retailers would have actually ordered 50 copies. Certainly the majors would have....

I'm scratching my head as to why the fact that they are selling in the $200-$400 range hasn't brought more out of the woodwork...

headscratch.gif

I'll bump since I still love this book, even though I'm not a Spidey fan. Still getting $500+ on the 'Bay for raw. I need to get one of these on a trade. :wishluck:

Might as well post mine on here. :cloud9: Only 18 total in 9.8 certified to date. And you never see them for sale. The raw ones usually sell immediately. Not as rare as the 667 Dell'Otto, but it has definitely become a bona fide Spidey variant grail in its own rite.

-J.

ASM678_zps2188f125.jpg