• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

app for cell phone to scan and give general price on comic book

11 posts in this topic

I have looked at some advertisement that will scan a comic book in to an inventory list. I am having problems pricing new collections. I have been out of collecting for the past 20 years. I still can put prices together for the silver age, but the last 10-15 years it all looks the same. Anyone have a product that can scan the bar code, then tie it to Over street price guide to give a hint of a value?

I am looking to modernize my yard sale, auction or craiglist collection buying. Any direction would be helpfull.

Lost in a sea of new comics, looking for the silver age gems.

Thanks

I have looked at some advertisement that will scan a comic book in to an inventory list. I am having problems pricing new collections. I have been out of collecting for the past 20 years. I still can put prices together for the silver age, but the last 10-15 years it all looks the same. Anyone have a product that can scan the bar code, then tie it to Over street price guide to give a hint of a value?

I am looking to modernize my yard sale, auction or craiglist collection buying. Any direction would be helpfull.

Thanks

$50 a box or less if it's all in NM and desirable titles. Some would say that's still too much.

Thanks

$50 a box or less if it's all in NM and desirable titles. Some would say that's still too much.

Really? 50 bucks for a box of all desirable titles - 200 plus comics. If someone has NM and better copies of the main titles like ASM, TEC, Batman, FF, X-men, Action, etc... I will buy every long box you have for 50 bucks a pop.

Thanks

Really? 50 bucks for a box of all desirable titles - 200 plus comics. If someone has NM and better copies of the main titles like ASM, TEC, Batman, FF, X-men, Action, etc... I will buy every long box you have for 50 bucks a pop.

That's what I paid for what looked like comics that had never been read. Like someone immediately bagged and boarded his pull list out of compulsion and didn't touch anything. Full runs of every X-series and related solo title and mini/oneshot for several years. Full runs of Image super hero stuff. A few things worth a few bucks but I mostly sold what I could for 50 cents a pop and then passed on the rest for about the same bulk price, including nearly all the X-Men and Wolverine stuff. I made about triple my money, but it was an insane amount of work. I'd do it again, but I draw the line at $50 a box unless it's stuff I want in my personal collection.

I have to agree with you on all accounts. I am just looking for a system to not miss that odd tittle that will have a few books worth $20 or more. I bought 15 short boxes over the weekend. If I missed 2-5 books, it adds up. Collecting is an expensive hobby. I pulled the silver age that I like but the bulk of the boxes are filled with 1995-2005. With the multi printing, glow in dark covers, to independent comics, I will be buried in Overstreet for weeks. I figured a smart phone can handle the bar code on the comicbook, so has anyone made an app to marry it with a price guide?

I have to agree with you on all accounts. I am just looking for a system to not miss that odd tittle that will have a few books worth $20 or more. I bought 15 short boxes over the weekend. If I missed 2-5 books, it adds up. Collecting is an expensive hobby. I pulled the silver age that I like but the bulk of the boxes are filled with 1995-2005. With the multi printing, glow in dark covers, to independent comics, I will be buried in Overstreet for weeks. I figured a smart phone can handle the bar code on the comicbook, so has anyone made an app to marry it with a price guide?
hm

For the years you are thinking of I think this app will work... :)

130422.jpg.6440d33b7e05fb6bcbcf39ae3a77a8e6.jpg

aszumilo,

Thanks for the info on Comicbase. I have looked into there listing and pricing and it is the best I have tried. The only problem is they use there own selling site Atomic Ave.com to produce the value of the comicbooks. They have x-men 1 nm at ,$7,000 ish. It is a nice site, and I am sure the sell some nice books. The problem is the prices do not reflect some of Heritage Auction CGC prices, Comic link, Pedigree, etc. Still your thoughts that it might be more accurate for the newer books might be right.

Still, I am looking for something a little better. If anyone has any software ,even commercial, I would be interested.

Thanks

If you're buying longboxes of raw comics in bulk then why even reflect Heritage CGC prices into it? Even if the X-Men is undervalued it's still listed at four figures so it's not like you'd accidentally put it in the dollar pile. But the more obscure stuff probably is way off on actual sale prices. I remember seeing somewhere, maybe it was there, that the Maus inserts from RAW Magazine were worth $2 each and X-Force #1 was worth slightly more. (shrug)

Either way though, the stuff that's worth money and not likely to already be known (like New Mutants 98 or something) probably doesn't even have a barcode. Most Marvels back then didn't and almost no indies did. Obscure stuff for sure won't have one.

I see your point. I bought in a blind auction some comics, based on the potential high end 20,000 vs low end 2,000, this was one book among, about 500. With cgc the book had a potential value of 20,000 if was a 9.5-9.8 but at 9.0 it can drop down to 15% of the 9.8 value. I am generalizing. With that range I can better bid on the 5 boxes of book based on the potential. Taking the book and having CGC grade it. Finding a quick way to get the highest range 20,000 CGC vs the highest Overstreet price $2,000-$3,000 does not give me the true potential when bidding or buy large lots. I would be willing to risk more if several comics might reach the coveted 9.8. Even Archie comics that are 9.8 can be worth $400. and sale rather quickly, but at 8.0-9.0 be worth $40 and not move for years.

With that said, most books are not 9.0, not worth over $50.00 and like you said are going to be separated based on value. Still with today tech. cell phone apps. Being able to get market trends, value of "1st appearance" that are moving up, and Overstreet 9.0-9.2 value and CGC 9.5-9.8 values in a few minutes should be out there. Any takers?

Still trying to figure out a way to build my collection, buy a few things and sell a few things. It is an expense hobby but very rewarding when you find the right book, at the right price, and the right grade.