• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You gotta' love it when...

16 posts in this topic

...someone advertises they have an entire run of Y: The Last Man, Fables, Ultimate Spider-Man nad more only to go look at the books and find out the first issues of each are only in TPB? :tonofbricks:

I would have kicked his

ps I have a run of The Walking dead I will sell you for 500!

...someone advertises they have an entire run of Y: The Last Man, Fables, Ultimate Spider-Man nad more only to go look at the books and find out the first issues of each are only in TPB? :tonofbricks:

That is insane. Was it a store or something else?

Question - are you reading these books or merely looking to buy/flip?

If you are reading them - I don't get it. I have tried - I read the first first 30 issues of Y in TPB, tried to read Fables but couldn't get past the concept (just seemed lame and boring).

What is the appeal? It can't be the artwork as it was mediocre at best.

Is it the story? There are much better novels out there to be re-discovered with much better original concepts.

I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade, I just want to understand the appeal...

Question - are you reading these books or merely looking to buy/flip?

If you are reading them - I don't get it. I have tried - I read the first first 30 issues of Y in TPB, tried to read Fables but couldn't get past the concept (just seemed lame and boring).

What is the appeal? It can't be the artwork as it was mediocre at best.

Is it the story? There are much better novels out there to be re-discovered with much better original concepts.

I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade, I just want to understand the appeal...

Perhaps it's just, "to each their own?"

There are tons of things that are mega popular that I hate(d). Wonder Woman, Lord of the Rings, Million Dollar Baby, Lady Gaga, etc.

Then there are lots of things I like that people razz me for.

Whatever, I don't question it. You like what you like.

That's more or less the approach I am taking but hearing others talk about it so vividly and excited - I wanted to like it, but just didn't for whatever reason...

I think those books are no different than people stating their love for various "Capes" titles. I read what I like, if I hear lots of people talking about a title I'm not reading I check it out, sometimes I like it (Uncanny X-force) sometimes I don't (the whole Annihilation/Guardians of the Galaxy stuff).

And that to me goes for both the story and the art. Maybe Pia Guerra (Y artist) or Mark Buckingham (Fables) arent your thing... there are those that love/hate Mike Allred, new John Romita Jr, Chris Bachalo, etc... those that love it should buy it, those that dont should just understand that art is subjective and can be an "eyes of the beholder" thing...

What I appreciate about those vertigo-type titles is that they do have a decent number of readers who otherwise would not look at the medium of sequential art (due to biases about comics being for kids, or not liking super heroes) so for that I am glad they are out there, regardless of my personal taste/distaste for them.

Yeah, this was for a flip and to fill up my fifty-cent boxes before the next show. The guy thought he was going to get five-hundred bucks for all of his books - it was all filler. He said he had runs of this and that, but failed to mention these "runs" were completed using TPBs for the first part of each run. :facepalm:

Y: The Last Man is a fantastic read and I thoroughly enjoyed the series. I have not read Fables.

I also like it when they advertise a "full run", except issues 1-100, 220-240, etc....

If there is even one issue missing, don't call it a full run!