• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2 Stolen books. Fantastic Four #5 CGC 8.0/ Avengers #4 CGC 9.2

72 posts in this topic

That sucks and I hope you recover the books.

Has anyone ever displayed only high resolution scans of the slabs / wall books and storing the actual comics inside the booth. If a customer wants to see the actual slab you can pull the comic out. I personally like looking at wall books but maybe that would help with the shrinkage. (shrug)

Sounds like a really good idea.

Has anyone ever displayed only high resolution scans of the slabs / wall books and storing the actual comics inside the booth. If a customer wants to see the actual slab you can pull the comic out. I personally like looking at wall books but maybe that would help with the shrinkage. (shrug)

A few dealers do this.

John Verzyl brings colour catalogues of every book in inventory at a show and then pulls the books you want to see out of boxes that are stored from behind the booth.

I've seen other dealers show scans of raw books on their walls. That's a little less effective since at least with a slab you have an idea of grade range. With raw books you don't.

That is a GREAT idea!

There's nothing like holding the actual book in your hand but based on the amount of thefts apparently taking place at these shows, it seems like its time to put technology to use!

It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to have a few monitors or iPads attached to your counter with high res scans of all your expensive books on it. Customers can flip thru and look at the scans and if they are serious about a book, have you get it out and show them.

The problem with not having any actual pictures of books is that people will not even stop at booths to look if they don't immediately see something that catches their eye.

Yeah, that's why you have photocopies on the walls and a few monitors iPads with the scans also doing a high res scan slideshow. How much would it cost to buy 2,3,4 used iPads? I'm 99% sure people would be all over a booth like that with a sign saying something like "due to recent thefts, books are locked away but feel free to peruse scans and ask to see any book you're interested in"

I'd rather have that any day of the week than be squinting at some wall book 15 feet away trying to imagine what faults it had (shrug)

John Verzyl brings colour catalogues of every book in inventory at a show and then pulls the books you want to see out of boxes that are stored from behind the booth.

I thought I saw Verzyl putting scans of CGC'd books on his wall at the NYC show last year. That seems like a pretty good idea to me.

It would probably also help to put up multiple video cameras in dealer's booths so they're very noticeable. And cable the cameras to a laptop. Even if they don't work, it could be a pretty good deterrent.

I thought I saw Verzyl putting scans of CGC'd books on his wall at the NYC show last year. That seems like a pretty good idea to me.

Yup, forgot to mention that but he does put up scans on the wall as well.

If you use iPads make sure you lock them to the table with a cable. The thieves will make off with anything that is not tied down heck some even have the ?!&$@?! To make off with artists entire portfolios.

Unsure of the setup.

What do you mean stolen outside the booth? If its not being held by someone why would the comic not be in the booth?

Again, I don't know how things are usually setup there as I have never been to a con.

Think of the booth as a square, with employees inside and customers outside. Occasionally, customers are invited inside to get a closer look at wall books. Greg's books were stolen by someone outside of the booth, not inside.

Thanks