• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

My hope is that they launch only when the next arc is complete. I do like Nate's art and I hope he's still on the book. But if you can't do monthly then don't do monthly and would be happy to have large breaks between arcs as long as the actual arc comes out on time.

maybe Nate is ok now that the Boston bomber has been given the death penalty. Though not quite sure I bought most of his supposed anxieties.

From the new solicitations...

Nowhere Men, Vol. 1: Fates Worse Than Death TP (New Printing)

story: Eric Stephenson

art / cover: Nate Bellegarde, Jordie Bellaire, & Fonografiks

August 05 / 144 pages / Full Color / Mature Readers / $9.99

The Eisner-nominated sci-fi hit returns in a new printing, with an all-new cover DELAYS to herald the series return in FallSUMMER 20152016.

rt6pOlE.gif

Edited by krighton

This is awesome news.

I was actually doing some searching on Nate the other day to see if there was any progress on this book. His social media streams have been very quiet for a long time; I took this as a sign he was head down on the new book. Seems my hunch paid off.

Interesting to see what happens to book prices especially if no delays and the new book is as good as 1-6. I've been keeping my eye out as everyone else dumps their copies.

My hope is that they launch only when the next arc is complete. I do like Nate's art and I hope he's still on the book. But if you can't do monthly then don't do monthly and would be happy to have large breaks between arcs as long as the actual arc comes out on time.

maybe Nate is ok now that the Boston bomber has been given the death penalty. Though not quite sure I bought most of his supposed anxieties.

Someone very close to me suffers from this and I can tell you that people who suffer from anxiety disorders which can lead to panic attacks and depression have it tough for many reasons I won't go into here. The disease can change the person drastically, so I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss his illness as the lone reason for him being unable to work on the book.

I do hope Nate's well now and that the book will continue this year, because it was a really good read.

I'm out. Mr. Spiteful who hates variants puts out a book with about a kazillion of them. Pass

I doubt he'll do so now that the policy has changed. I don't understand why people take this stuff so personally, he has an opinion and he shares it, I think that is worth while even if I disagree with him. I'd rather have someone willing to put it on front street than just smile and tell everyone what they want to hear.

Anyway... I will definitely pick this back up if it actually happens - I know a lot of people here fired a lot of shots at Nate and ES over the way the original delay was handled, but I actually respected the fact that Nate wasn't thrown under the bus once I actually heard the reason behind it all. I was perfectly fine with it, everyone should be entitled to that level of privacy if they're struggling like Nate was / is, even if they are a content producer.

I've had people close to me suffer from similar mental health problems and, despite some of the comments I've seen in this thread, they are absolutely no joke.

I'm out. Mr. Spiteful who hates variants puts out a book with about a kazillion of them. Pass

I doubt he'll do so now that the policy has changed. I don't understand why people take this stuff so personally, he has an opinion and he shares it, I think that is worth while even if I disagree with him. I'd rather have someone willing to put it on front street than just smile and tell everyone what they want to hear.

Anyway... I will definitely pick this back up if it actually happens - I know a lot of people here fired a lot of shots at Nate and ES over the way the original delay was handled, but I actually respected the fact that Nate wasn't thrown under the bus once I actually heard the reason behind it all. I was perfectly fine with it, everyone should be entitled to that level of privacy if they're struggling like Nate was / is, even if they are a content producer.

I've had people close to me suffer from similar mental health problems and, despite some of the comments I've seen in this thread, they are absolutely no joke.

It is this simple, E.S created a stink fest about his dislike of variants and the secondary market and then he remained quiet and stopped giving fans of the book any information about what was going on. Those 2 things cooked his goose IMO.

Edited by natevegas

E.S. was one of the best board members and all of you guys railroaded him out of here with your passive aggressive cronerism.

Remember when he said he had extra Thought Bubble Variants or Comics Pro Variants? - He received more then 20 PMs about those and all of the PMs wanted FREE copies from him.

Remember who the real variant potty faces are.

I wasn't a board member then but I do remember that being discussed. I haven't seen anything to tell me he is pro collector. Blaming retailer variants for falling sales is ridiculous. Taking a month or two between issues might impact future sales but having too many choices ? I don't see it. When I go buy clothes, I prefer choices. The same with cars, houses, lawn mowers, dishes, food, and you get the idea. I don't buy less because there are too many colors or sizes to choose from at the store. I think he should just call it what it is and admit he doesn't want that money in a retailers hands when Image can grab it for themselves. That I could understand even if I don't like it.

I'm really torn buy this decision. I don't think there has been a bigger proponent for Image than I've been from the beginning of the company. I've been through Youngblood, Spawn, Shadowhawk, Brigqde, Savage Dragon, Wetworks, Witchblade, Maxx, Pitt, Darkness, The Authority, Planetary, East of West, Rat Queens, Southern Bastards, etc, etc.. The thing I liked most about them is that were nimble and forward thinking. Now they seem to be petty, hypocritical, and unable to keep a schedule. I'll stick around to see how this turns out but stuff like this makes me wonder why I hang on to a hobby that aggravates me as much as it makes me happy.

I wasn't a board member then but I do remember that being discussed. I haven't seen anything to tell me he is pro collector. Blaming retailer variants for falling sales is ridiculous. Taking a month or two between issues might impact future sales but having too many choices ? I don't see it. When I go buy clothes, I prefer choices. The same with cars, houses, lawn mowers, dishes, food, and you get the idea. I don't buy less because there are too many colors or sizes to choose from at the store. I think he should just call it what it is and admit he doesn't want that money in a retailers hands when Image can grab it for themselves. That I could understand even if I don't like it.

I'm really torn buy this decision. I don't think there has been a bigger proponent for Image than I've been from the beginning of the company. I've been through Youngblood, Spawn, Shadowhawk, Brigqde, Savage Dragon, Wetworks, Witchblade, Maxx, Pitt, Darkness, The Authority, Planetary, East of West, Rat Queens, Southern Bastards, etc, etc.. The thing I liked most about them is that were nimble and forward thinking. Now they seem to be petty, hypocritical, and unable to keep a schedule. I'll stick around to see how this turns out but stuff like this makes me wonder why I hang on to a hobby that aggravates me as much as it makes me happy.

It sucks to hear that comics are causing you that much grief - maybe you need to step back and take a little break from it all?

If you're anything like me, you're stressed out by enough things outside of comics. I get bummed out by what are basically 'business' decisions by the publishers as well, so I understand where you're coming from on that front, but if I were feeling it so personally like you're describing I really would take that aforementioned step back and try to be a little introspective about why that was. Maybe it'll help?

I agree with that but they haven't passed them in the storytelling department. Image stories are, for the most part, unique and fresh. I just think Image's line of BS is so flawed that its difficult to read. Use Outcast as an example. No variants, no retailers involved, and the book has shed 30,000 readers since issue #1 until now. Who's fault is it that this occurred ? I'm still buying the book. Midtown didn't have their own cover. Larry didn't either so why does a book written by the guy who writes The Walking Dead fall to the mid 40,000s ? Good story, good art, and lots of initial publicity. Sounds more like a marketing issue to me but it probably had something to do with variants.

Edited by The Authority

I pulled the first four and thought Outcast was painfully mediocre. That's why I personally stopped pulling it.

And we have all sorts of examples of strong books that fail and weak books that succeed. I don't think it can be boiled down to any sort of logic in most cases.

It sucks to hear that comics are causing you that much grief - maybe you need to step back and take a little break from it all?

If you're anything like me, you're stressed out by enough things outside of comics. I get bummed out by what are basically 'business' decisions by the publishers as well, so I understand where you're coming from on that front, but if I were feeling it so personally like you're describing I really would take that aforementioned step back and try to be a little introspective about why that was. Maybe it'll help?

That is probably good advice. Reading this stuff is like watching the news. I have a truly blessed and happy life. My kids occasionally do stuff that makes me shake my head but for me and the wife ? Its the easiest its ever been since we met. I just hate to watch somebody tear something down but the reality is, it really doesn't affect me does it ? Good advice. (thumbs u

I agree with that but they haven't passed them in the storytelling department. Image stories are, for the most part, unique and fresh. I just think Image's line of BS is so flawed that its difficult to read. Use Outcast as an example. No variants, no retailers involved, and the book has shed 30,000 readers since issue #1 until now. Who's fault is it that this occurred ? I'm still buying the book. Midtown didn't have their own cover. Larry didn't either so why does a book written by the guy who writes The Walking Dead fall to the mid 40,000s ? Good story, good art, and lots of initial publicity. Sounds more like a marketing issue to me but it probably had something to do with variants.

I aggree and another point I'd like to make here. None of these writers and artists can or could keep up with the regular scheduling of the big 2 back in the 50's, 60;s, 70;s or even early 80;s/ Books that were monthly came out monthly = no breaks = no vacations = no excuses.

Now saying all that I do think there are talented teams out there that put out good work but lets face facts they can't keep up to a schedule at all of what us older than 30 used to expect and appreciate on a regular schedule.

Did writers and artists have some superpowers to put out consistent, great product month after month like Kirby, Lee, Ditko, Sterrenko, etc ? Or are the expectations lowered today versus then?

hm