• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

just click this if you can stand to read it all

https://twitter.com/fetorpse

http://fetorpse.tumblr.com/post/124518933604/i-got-hurt-feelings-i-want-new-issues-of-nowhere

seems to be the rantings of a person who's in an asylum

I read just enough to know he needs medication. And I mean that in a serious, non-derogatory way. If he's had this problem for a year (or more) he needs help.

Nate is getting help. That's been addressed for a while. I've spent a decent deal of time with him recently. He's a good guy, and was getting in a better place mentally. But with two job losses and losing his apartment, I'd say anyone would have a difficult time dealing with that.

Nate is getting help. That's been addressed for a while. I've spent a decent deal of time with him recently. He's a good guy, and was getting in a better place mentally. But with two job losses and losing his apartment, I'd say anyone would have a difficult time dealing with that.

Can't speak to the rest of his situation, but one of those job losses is on him. Bootstraps not blogs.

Really hope nobody is assuming they know the details of his situation based on an emotional blog post. :facepalm:

I'd hope that another human's mental health is more important to everyone than a comic book. Just saying.

Can't speak to the rest of his situation, but one of those job losses is on him. Bootstraps not blogs.

You're right, I mean there is always an exact time table for someone to deal with mental illness.

I'll say this, I'm severe ADD was diagnosed in 1983 as such. I never in a million years could produce a comic book on a monthly basis when I was on my own with no local support to keep me on task.

You're right, I mean there is always an exact time table for someone to deal with mental illness.

I'll say this, I'm severe ADD was diagnosed in 1983 as such. I never in a million years could produce a comic book on a monthly basis when I was on my own with no local support to keep me on task.

1. I never said or suggested there is a good or bad time for mental illness.

2. Then maybe, working in an industry which requires you to create something on a monthly, or at least a regular basis, is not the right career choice for you.

That is not coming from a place of disgust with delays, by the way. I wish him the best. I just hope he makes the life decisions that will allow him to be well.

1. I never said or suggested there is a good or bad time for mental illness.

2. Then maybe, working in an industry which requires you to create something on a monthly, or at least a regular basis, is not the right career choice for you.

That is not coming from a place of disgust with delays, by the way. I wish him the best. I just hope he makes the life decisions that will allow him to be well.

I don't think there's any job that Nate could take that wouldn't be affected by his mental illness; it just happens to be he's an artist.

And depression doesn't bring about ordinary, "woe is me"-type sadness. It's not even grieving, death-of-a-loved-one-type sadness. It's debilitating, paralyzing, "I can't move"-level fear. It's not rational, and you don't just beat it by "manning up." Nate has huge talent with a crippling disease, and I don't care how much he decides to write or vent or ramble; it's his blog and if it helps him cope, so be it.

His depression is so debilitating and paralyzing that he spends his time finding memes that state: "Straight up Crazo"....then attempts to be cheeky in his twitter acct with about 4-5 updates a day even soliciting commissions (the picture with the steaming pile of next to his hours available says it all).

Sounds (NOT) utterly disabled to me. He has the faculties to post online and kvetch about his lot in life, but he doesn't have the sensibilities to direct all that nonsense into one productive act.

I pegged it early on: He was the issue, and it appears more like drug induced rambling (which I'm all for 100% :)) instead of honest depression (which I've worked personally with countless patients who are in fact clinically depressed).

The REAL depressed don't have the energy to get online and blog. They don't get "cheeky" with other folks and they often have to be medicated.

So get medicated or get bent Nate. Enough is enough. He wasn't quite content to ruin the timeline of Nowhere Men...now he's gotta complain that everyone has moved on without him. Keep pumping out those diatribe blogs because they give us tons of insight into NOTHING.

His depression is so debilitating and paralyzing that he spends his time finding memes that state: "Straight up Crazo"....then attempts to be cheeky in his twitter acct with about 4-5 updates a day even soliciting commissions (the picture with the steaming pile of next to his hours available says it all).

Sounds (NOT) utterly disabled to me. He has the faculties to post online and kvetch about his lot in life, but he doesn't have the sensibilities to direct all that nonsense into one productive act.

I pegged it early on: He was the issue, and it appears more like drug induced rambling (which I'm all for 100% :)) instead of honest depression (which I've worked personally with countless patients who are in fact clinically depressed).

The REAL depressed don't have the energy to get online and blog. They don't get "cheeky" with other folks and they often have to be medicated.

So get medicated or get bent Nate. Enough is enough. He wasn't quite content to ruin the timeline of Nowhere Men...now he's gotta complain that everyone has moved on without him. Keep pumping out those diatribe blogs because they give us tons of insight into NOTHING.

Wow. As a fellow mental health professional, I could not disagree more with your post. Depression manifests in many ways, and it seems strange that you would so easily diagnose based on his Internet activity. :facepalm: After all, there could be a manic element to his struggles.

Either way, I'm surprised at the level of butt hurt this seems to generate with people, like Nate has personally wronged them or something because he dropped the ball on a comic book.

I agree that his internet activity doesn't paint him in the best light, but I don't think any of us have enough info to diagnose or judge him. Hopefully he gets the help he needs. 2c

The commissions sign with from a show he did. He isn't trying to get online commissions in fact he is behind on those as well.

One question for you. How many copies of Nowhere Men did you buy? Did you have any of the rare variants?

:facepalm:

Wow. As a fellow mental health professional, I could not disagree more with your post. Depression manifests in many ways, and it seems strange that you would so easily diagnose based on his Internet activity. :facepalm: After all, there could be a manic element to his struggles.

Either way, I'm surprised at the level of butt hurt this seems to generate with people, like Nate has personally wronged them or something because he dropped the ball on a comic book.

I agree that his internet activity doesn't paint him in the best light, but I don't think any of us have enough info to diagnose or judge him. Hopefully he gets the help he needs. 2c

You want to classify him as bipolar then you're right, he might have manic episodes. If that's the case....why isn't he pumping out art like there's no tomorrow during his "up" periods?

You're also 100% right: I can't diagnose him from remote and without suitable interaction....it's inappropriate to try.

Having said that, methinks Nate protesteth too much about his circumstances and in a way that's trying to hard to be "cute". All I indicated was that he should put that effort into his troubles instead of bemoaning them.

Less explanation and more action.

As far as copies of Nowhere Men: I've got 3 normal copies of #1 off the racks cover price from when it first came out. I've got one Bubble variant, signed by Nate. Total of 4.

I've got 2 copies of each of the other issues that came out....straight off the newsstand....no variants. One to read, the other to slab.

So yeah, I'm DEEPLY invested in Nowhere Men....so much so that I might have to take out a loan to keep food on the table. (Sarcasm ray set to 10).

If your heart strings have been pulled, it's been done by possibly a manipulative patient that understands he can get what he wants by showing you his boo boo. Mommy, my finger hurts......oh dear here's a cookie and a kiss.

For someone that states he has such a significant level of dysfunction, he sure seems to have alot to say on the net about nothing significant. If you're saying it's a therapeutic response for him and it's cathartic.....I say his catharsis exists in accomplishing the very things he says he can't accomplish, by channeling literally a tenth of the energy he puts into complaining.

This isn't some heartless monologue about patients with real disabilities and pathology. It's to say that folks acting hurt, that take no realistic steps to remedy that issue and continue to complain don't deserve my empathy.

Furthermore, they don't deserve my sympathy when they waste time endlessly in the pursuit of pity.

This isn't some heartless monologue about patients with real disabilities and pathology. It's to say that folks acting hurt, that take no realistic steps to remedy that issue and continue to complain don't deserve my empathy.

Furthermore, they don't deserve my sympathy when they waste time endlessly in the pursuit of pity.

Really nothing more that I can say but 100% agree with you here

You may be the only one. Political correctness > truth.

Correction Political correctness + Perception is the new truth. hm

I don't think it's about political correctness being greater than truth, I think the point here is that none of us knows what the truth of Nates situation is, so i think the logical thing to do is err on the side of caution and avoid judging someone without all the facts.