• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difference Between CGC 9.9 and 9.8?

27 posts in this topic

How does someone like Beachbum come up with 9.9's on a consistent basis if it is so hit and miss?

Very simple:

Dre has a great eye.

He subs a ton of books.

He subs moderns and he looks at every one

There are others who gets the same percentages of 9.9s and 10s that Dre does. They just don't run a well publicized 9.8 service, and they don't show them on the Boards.

You'd be surprised the % of 9.9s and 10.0s I actually post on the boards. It's probably about 5%. Sometimes I don't post a pic for months. They mostly just go out of one box, into another, and off to the customer.

I would have to say it's not because a sub a ton of books. I've actually picked up a book at recent show and said "oooh look at you" and it came back 10.0

I think the key to 9.9 & 10.0 is being very picky and very patient when looking at books.

I get mad at myself when I don't see a 9.9 or 10.0 on a 30 book submission. I take it as a failure on my part. lol

Its not about how many books you get graded as a 9.9, its about how many books you look at and "DON'T BUY" that get you the 9.9's. Its called work.

What if submitter A looked at 3500 books, bought 9 copies, scored 7 9.8's and two 9.9's.

What if submitter B looked at 150 comics, bought 10 copies. Got 4 9.6's, and 6 9.8's.

Should submitter B be upset he didn't get a 9.9 :makepoint:

Edited by topnotchman

On 11/5/2012 at 9:58 PM, BeachBum said:

You'd be surprised the % of 9.9s and 10.0s I actually post on the boards. It's probably about 5%. Sometimes I don't post a pic for months. They mostly just go out of one box, into another, and off to the customer.

I would have to say it's not because a sub a ton of books. I've actually picked up a book at recent show and said "oooh look at you" and it came back 10.0

I think the key to 9.9 & 10.0 is being very picky and very patient when looking at books.

I get mad at myself when I don't see a 9.9 or 10.0 on a 30 book submission. I take it as a failure on my part. lol

Have you ever received a fresh batch of books from diamond and as you look through each one you get that sinking feeling and then after looking at all of them just know that there isn't a single 9.9 or 10 (even with a press) in the order possibly due to a shipping issue?

On 10/2/2020 at 7:01 PM, MCS69 said:

I believe only book right off the press can qualify 10. perhaps 9.9 after shipped to its destination. 9.8 once it's slightly opened once. who knows?

Not always so.  I doubt if production defects are allowed in a 10.0.  In a 9.8 sure. Lots of production defects in comics: ink streaks, coloration, smudges, miswraps (allowed in 9.9 and below), gripper holes/tears/bends/creases, spine and edge ripples from where the folding press wrinkled cover when coming right off the press.  And then there's plenty of shipping defects that knock grades way down.

No, folks have pulled pristine books that came back as 9.9's and 10's out short/long boxes at comic conventions or LCS that are decades old.  It really just takes a good experienced eye to weed out the best ones and then have the patience to carefully examine the book thoroughly before submitting, then pack it well for shipping, and a whole lot of luck to have been at the right place at the right time to spot it, have it shipped to CGC without it getting damaged or lost, and have it make it past receiving and through up to 3 graders handling it without any accidents along the way. "Hey look, this ASM 129 is a perfect Ten point O-OOPS!" (Grader picks the book up off the floor) "Um...nevermind"

The only defects (though there may be more) I've ever seen allowed in a CGC 9.9 are:

Off-white to white pages

up to 1/8" miswrap full spine length to the Front cover (spine showing the whiteness from the back cover on the front cover) (this might be one of the reasons a technical 9.8 book may get the 9.9 grade if the 1 or 2 minuscule spine defects are hidden on the white spine border sufficiently that they are overlooked by the graders)

The only hidden defects I've actually observed in some of the 9.9's I own:

1 or 2 barely visible non-color breaking shallow spine bump/indent up to 1/16" that is only visible under angled light.

Of the 10's I've seen they all had:

White pages

Perfect page wraps, alignment of the front and back cover and centering

sharp corners, no bindery tears, no staple misalignments

No spine wear of any form, no edge wear of any form.

Here's my advice for submitting a surefire 9.9 or 10.0: just submit lots of modern Zenescope Grimm Fairy Tales books and any books with lenticular covers.  The ratio of 9.9's and 10.0's to anything else is almost 50/50. 

On 10/10/2020 at 1:19 AM, justafan said:

Not always so.  I doubt if production defects are allowed in a 10.0.  In a 9.8 sure. Lots of production defects in comics: ink streaks, coloration, smudges, miswraps (allowed in 9.9 and below), gripper holes/tears/bends/creases, spine and edge ripples from where the folding press wrinkled cover when coming right off the press.  And then there's plenty of shipping defects that knock grades way down.

No, folks have pulled pristine books that came back as 9.9's and 10's out short/long boxes at comic conventions or LCS that are decades old.  It really just takes a good experienced eye to weed out the best ones and then have the patience to carefully examine the book thoroughly before submitting, then pack it well for shipping, and a whole lot of luck to have been at the right place at the right time to spot it, have it shipped to CGC without it getting damaged or lost, and have it make it past receiving and through up to 3 graders handling it without any accidents along the way. "Hey look, this ASM 129 is a perfect Ten point O-OOPS!" (Grader picks the book up off the floor) "Um...nevermind"

The only defects (though there may be more) I've ever seen allowed in a CGC 9.9 are:

Off-white to white pages

up to 1/8" miswrap full spine length to the Front cover (spine showing the whiteness from the back cover on the front cover) (this might be one of the reasons a technical 9.8 book may get the 9.9 grade if the 1 or 2 minuscule spine defects are hidden on the white spine border sufficiently that they are overlooked by the graders)

The only hidden defects I've actually observed in some of the 9.9's I own:

1 or 2 barely visible non-color breaking shallow spine bump/indent up to 1/16" that is only visible under angled light.

Of the 10's I've seen they all had:

White pages

Perfect page wraps, alignment of the front and back cover and centering

sharp corners, no bindery tears, no staple misalignments

No spine wear of any form, no edge wear of any form.

Here's my advice for submitting a surefire 9.9 or 10.0: just submit lots of modern Zenescope Grimm Fairy Tales books and any books with lenticular covers.  The ratio of 9.9's and 10.0's to anything else is almost 50/50. 

:banana: