• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difference Between CGC 9.9 and 9.8?

27 posts in this topic

I am trying to understand the difference between a 9.8 and 9.9 or 10.0 in CGC grading. Can anyone help me to understand what to look for to get a 9.9 or 10.0 instead of just 9.8s?

Edited by frostking70

I have only had 3 books come back as 9.9 or 10.0 that i called. The rest were surprises.

The book has to be exceptional. Perfect corners. Straight edges and a spine with 0 defects. When you have a book in your hands that has that potential you can tell it is different compared to the run of the mill 9.8. Wish I could call them more often, but it is mostly up to the CGC graders at this point.

For a 9.9 I'd say that you have to have a book that is defect free even upon the closest scrutiny.

This would include looking over the whole book under high magnification under the best lighting conditions. Even then you are wrong 99.99 percent of the time.

I am trying to understand the difference between a 9.8 and 9.9 or 10.0 in CGC grading. Can anyone help me to understand what to look for to get a 9.9 or 10.0 instead of just 9.8s?

Easy way to know if a book will get a 9.9 or 10 instead of a 9.8? Find out if the graders looking at the book got lucky the night before (thumbs u

:whistle:

For a 9.9 I'd say that you have to have a book that is defect free even upon the closest scrutiny.

This would include looking over the whole book under high magnification under the best lighting conditions. Even then you are wrong 99.99 percent of the time.

Indeed! You can read my thread on 9.9s over in the "spare a grade" forum for proof.

Well, I wouldn't be.

:blush:

About 100-2000%. It is a roll of the dice to get it, but one factor that plays a big role is "do you send a high quantity of books to be graded?"

No, it's not.

I've seen 9.9s on a 2 book invoice and nothing but 9.8s on a 200 book submission - whether you get a 9.9 or not is all dependent on the condition of the books you send in; nothing less, nothing more.

*Troll* No, not doing that. I mean there is a higher chance of getting "one" back if you send more off. Send 10 off get one back, send 10 seperate off and get one back. Though the 9.9/10 is very rare to get with some publishers, take a good look at the census before sending a book off. My 2 cents on this.

The differences between 9.8 and 9.9/10 are absolutely miniscule, but if you know what you're looking for you will find them.

9.8:

TTB1.jpg

TTB1Rear.jpg

9.9:

PreviewFlipbookCopyA.jpg

PreviewFlipbook2CopyA.jpg

DSC01648.JPG

About 100-2000%. It is a roll of the dice to get it, but one factor that plays a big role is "do you send a high quantity of books to be graded?"

No, it's not.

I've seen 9.9s on a 2 book invoice and nothing but 9.8s on a 200 book submission - whether you get a 9.9 or not is all dependent on the condition of the books you send in; nothing less, nothing more.

I got a 10 on my first modern submission - 12 book invoice and have never gotten one since. :whee:

But I have rocked 4 9.9s :whee:

How does someone like Beachbum come up with 9.9's on a consistent basis if it is so hit and miss?

Very simple:

Dre has a great eye.

He subs a ton of books.

He subs moderns and he looks at every one

There are others who gets the same percentages of 9.9s and 10s that Dre does. They just don't run a well publicized 9.8 service, and they don't show them on the Boards.

No, it's not.

Agreed.

It's no different than calling something magic simply because you don't understand it.

The more books you scrutinize the more apparent the differences become. There's always a margin of error but the majority of the time it is possible to quantify it accurately.