• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX Question

240 posts in this topic

I'm perfectly calm, thank you.

How many times do I need to say this, though?

PGX is a scam. They don't have a "facility", they have a garage. Their head grader sells books he slabbed himself on ebay. Their grading & restoration detection skills are a joke.

That's it.

This is not something that's up for discussion - it's not an opinion - it's a fact.

You seem to be bending over backwards to find ways of legitimizing sending books their way and, to be honest, it's getting a bit tiresome. It's like that that that keeps them in business when the industry as a whole would be much better off with them being run out of town like the crooks they are.

You say you are perfectly calm, but then call me names. For no other reason than I don't 100% agree with you.

What we do agree on:

Yes, PGX is much smaller. I've heard some say it is in a garage and others say it is in a basement. I don't know if I care that their facility is vasltly smaller. But I agree that it is.

I didn't know it was their "head grader" that was selling PGX graded books. Some people have claimed that PGX has no employees other than the owner so I guess this settles that debate. But Yes I knew that they allow employees to buy and sell PGX graded books. And I stated it was unwise and encouraged unethical behavior. We agree that it is unethical for any employee of PGX to get books graded by PGX and then sell them. CGC's standard for this is the way it ought to be.

Where we niether agree or disagree:

I don't have any first hand knowledge of restoration detection skills and have said so. I have neither agreed nor disagreed with those statements. Maybe you have sent in some PGX graded books that came back PLOD? If so I'm sorry.

I've only had one Signature Series book (CGC) done ever. I have no idea what PGX does. I only observed that other boardies have lamented that it is unreasonable they cannot get signed books authenticated when they have substantial proof that the signature is authentic.

Where we disagree:

I don't care who graded a book I would like to purchase. CGC, PGX, the Local Comic Shop or a boardie on the for sale forum. I inspect the book before I buy or I only buy from someone that says they take returns on items I cannot inspect first. I collect comic books. Period.

I think there are situations - like Andy70's described scenario - where it could make sense to use PGX for grading. And in Andy70's scenario, no one is trying to pull a scam. He just wants a few extemely low value books encapsulated for sentimental reasons.

Really - do we disagree on enough things that name calling is called for?

Which names have I called you exactly? :shrug:

PGX is a scam - there's nothing more to it than that.

You obviously have no problems supporting a company whose entire business model is based on lies and a complete lack of ethics. I mean you are pushing PGX's services on your site, right? But please don't come in here and pretend otherwise - it's a bit insulting.

Have now read the post you are talking about. The owner says:

They gave me a hard time about it and would not let Stan trace the " '76" so they docked me I think for having a date on the cover.

Non-the-less I was pelased

So, fair enough, it looks like it can happen, but not easily. I very much doubt it's with enough regularity to give people serious cause for concern about CGC's ethics, anyway.

I don't care who graded a book I would like to purchase. CGC, PGX, the Local Comic Shop or a boardie on the for sale forum. I inspect the book before I buy or I only buy from someone that says they take returns on items I cannot inspect first. I collect comic books. Period.

I think there are situations - like Andy70's described scenario - where it could make sense to use PGX for grading. And in Andy70's scenario, no one is trying to pull a scam. He just wants a few extemely low value books encapsulated for sentimental reasons.

Tony, this is the piece that people disagree with. The fuNdamental objection is to doing business with a company that has made money out of scamming honest collectors. It doesn't matter whether anyone is trying to pull a scam or not in Andy's particular scenario. It doesn't matter whether their grading is or is not tighter at the higher grades. The point is that it is wrong to support an unethical, borderline criminal business.

You may not care with whom you do business, but it appears that the vast majority of boardies do.

So how about a company that could be sued for not making there turnaround times in a timely fashion. A company whose people are so misinformed that they give you turnaround times that are not even close to where they are. A company whose grading standards have relaxed with the addition of more graders. A company unwilling to give a Signature Series label for comics/magazines with a Dynamic forces seal and COA. A company in which you could just have the artist or writer go over their old signature and get the yellow SS label. The CGC is not perfect either. Alot of the complaints I see people bringing up against PGX are from issues that happened six years ago. Six years is a long time. As far as Mschmidt your taking this thread too seriously and at over 14,000 posts get a life.

Didn't you have 10k+ posts prior to you being banned, TFL? :lol:

Can't believe that no one has mentioned the married cover scandal (where high grade covers were married to low grade books and given ultra high PGX grades) or the trimmed Donald Duck Atom Bomb pamphlets. PGX will literally do anything to make a buck, including letting people take their encapsulation machines for at-home self service. :ohnoez:

PGX is a scam. They don't have a "facility", they have a garage. Their head grader sells books he slabbed himself on ebay. Their grading & restoration detection skills are a joke.

That's it.

This is not something that's up for discussion - it's not an opinion - it's a fact.

You seem to be bending over backwards to find ways of legitimizing sending books their way and, to be honest, it's getting a bit tiresome. It's like that that that keeps them in business when the industry as a whole would be much better off with them being run out of town like the crooks they are.

Where we disagree:

I think there are situations - like Andy70's described scenario - where it could make sense to use PGX for grading.

You forgot a few:

1) You've been smoking crack

2) You're somehow related to the head scammer er, grader

3) You've got an otherwise nice GA book loaded with resto and are hoping for a resto-free label

4) You really want a modern in a 10 (MINT) and dammit if CGC doesnt have one graded that high

5) You've completely lost your mind/ethics/common sense

You obviously didn't read the whole thread to get the context but that's pretty normal for some around here... Oh yeah and you can add a couple more points to your idiotic list

6) That's a completely unwarranted attack

7) You are a jerk

Unwarranted? Are you serious? This guy is a documented scammer! But then again, youre probably the same kind of d-bag that thinks its ok to buy from Robojo...as long as it fits your needs.

Bottom line: This "company", which is really one guy, is a scammer, plain and simple. Supporting a scam is not "OK" on any level. Youre the jerk. Take that. Hmpft.

Just for the record

1) I don't use drugs, but do enjoy an occasional Canadian Club and Diet coke

2) I'm not related to or even friends with anyone at PGX

3) I don't collect GA books. I have two in my collection, one raw and one former PGX now CGC.

4) I've never received a 9.9 or a 10 from either company. But mathematically, some well informed individuals - like Matt Nelson - have pointed out that there ought to be more 9.9's out there. Look at a book like Spectacular Spider-Man 1 (1976) 224 copies in 9.8 and no 9.9?

5) It is possible I've lost my mind or common sense lol. I'm certain I've not lost any ethics, but haven taken a few philosophy classes that is mighty deep subject.

I think this thread has established there is at least some PGX employees, otherwise there couldn't be a head grader that slabs and sells his own books.

Everyone that disagrees with you about anything you call names. Is there a name for that?

That's it.

Where we disagree:

I think there are situations - like Andy70's described scenario - where it could make sense to use PGX for grading.

You forgot a few:

1) You've been smoking crack

2) You're somehow related to the head scammer er, grader

3) You've got an otherwise nice GA book loaded with resto and are hoping for a resto-free label

4) You really want a modern in a 10 (MINT) and dammit if CGC doesnt have one graded that high

5) You've completely lost your mind/ethics/common sense

You obviously didn't read the whole thread to get the context but that's pretty normal for some around here... Oh yeah and you can add a couple more points to your idiotic list

6) That's a completely unwarranted attack

7) You are a jerk

Unwarranted? Are you serious? This guy is a documented scammer! But then again, youre probably the same kind of d-bag that thinks its ok to buy from Robojo...as long as it fits your needs.

Bottom line: This "company", which is really one guy, is a scammer, plain and simple. Supporting a scam is not "OK" on any level. Youre the jerk. Take that. Hmpft.

Just for the record

1) I don't use drugs, but do enjoy an occasional Canadian Club and Diet coke

2) I'm not related to or even friends with anyone at PGX

3) I don't collect GA books. I have two in my collection, one raw and one former PGX now CGC.

4) I've never received a 9.9 or a 10 from either company. But mathematically, some well informed individuals - like Matt Nelson - have pointed out that there ought to be more 9.9's out there. Look at a book like Spectacular Spider-Man 1 (1976) 224 copies in 9.8 and no 9.9?

5) It is possible I've lost my mind or common sense lol. I'm certain I've not lost any ethics, but haven taken a few philosophy classes that is mighty deep subject.

I think this thread has established there is at least some PGX employees, otherwise there couldn't be a head grader that slabs and sells his own books.

Everyone that disagrees with you about anything you call names. Is there a name for that?

He is the Head Grader, simply because he is the ONLY grader there. He is also CEO, President, Chief of New Acquisitions (for submissions and subsequent resales) and Head Scammer. He also goes by the Ebay name DJBrady4u, which just happens to have some pretty highly graded PGX Books. No conflict of interest there! And you sir, I fear, are a PGX Shill. Good day.

He is the Head Grader, simply because he is the ONLY grader there. He is also CEO, President and Head Scammer. And you sir, I fear, are a PGX Shill. Good day.

Name calling, name calling. It's all you seem to have in the tank. Again - only because I don't agree with you. Since we don't agree I must be a PGX shill. Since I don't agree I must be on drugs. What ever

You are the first person to state that Daniel Pattersonis is the same person that is (PGX) grading books and selling them on eBay/ComicLink. I thought that I had reasd previously on these boards that person's name and it was someone else. If you know it is the owner doing this please link to the thread or article.

Just for the record - I've said it many times - that practice of employees getting graded/buying/selling/ their own wares is wrong.

So how about a company that could be sued for not making there turnaround times in a timely fashion. A company whose people are so misinformed that they give you turnaround times that are not even close to where they are. A company whose grading standards have relaxed with the addition of more graders. A company unwilling to give a Signature Series label for comics/magazines with a Dynamic forces seal and COA. A company in which you could just have the artist or writer go over their old signature and get the yellow SS label. The CGC is not perfect either. Alot of the complaints I see people bringing up against PGX are from issues that happened six years ago. Six years is a long time. As far as Mschmidt your taking this thread too seriously and at over 14,000 posts get a life.

Oh god, you again...

People, ignore this person. I've been on the internet almost 20 years, and in my life never read things so completely assinine than what comes out of this person's mouth.

He basically told us the other day that "the CGC" should stop allowing fast-track submissions cause it's ruining the business, amongt other fine comments I'm too lazy to go back and read.

If you want a really good laugh though, check out his posting history, he has a bone to pick with "the CGC".

Oh, and one more thing:

So how about a company that could be sued for not making there turnaround times in a timely fashion.

*takes deep breath*

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Let me guess, you're also thinking about suing the DMV cause you wait in line too long? Maybe you're calling up your lawyer cause Universal's Islands of Adventure sells fast-track passes that allows people to skip the line cause they paid more money? Still waiting on when we can meet there so I can wave to you as I walk by you. :hi:

He is the Head Grader, simply because he is the ONLY grader there. He is also CEO, President and Head Scammer. And you sir, I fear, are a PGX Shill. Good day.

Name calling, name calling. It's all you seem to have in the tank. Again - only because I don't agree with you. Since we don't agree I must be a PGX shill. Since I don't agree I must be on drugs. What ever

You are the first person to state that Daniel Pattersonis is the same person that is (PGX) grading books and selling them on eBay/ComicLink. I thought that I had reasd previously on these boards that person's name and it was someone else. If you know it is the owner doing this please link to the thread or article.

Just for the record - I've said it many times - that practice of employees getting graded/buying/selling/ their own wares is wrong.

Dude, you are the one who called me a jerk first, so as for name calling, look to yourself. It's what you "had in the tank" to start with.

Also, I am by no means the first one to link the PGX Owner to the Ebay handle DJBRADY4U. You need to do some homework before coming on here with your PGX defense.

Dude, you are the one who called me a jerk first, so as for name calling, look to yourself. It's what you "had in the tank" to start with.

Also, I am by no means the first one to link the PGX Owner to the Ebay handle DJBRADY4U. You need to do some homework before coming on here with your PGX defense.

Actually, it was "Mr. Simpson" that called you a jerk. I've called you nor anyone else any names.

I would consider the owner of PGX selling his own slabbed books on eBay pretty egregious.

You and a few others have a distorted view of what constitutes a defense. If I see a book I want at price I'd pay in a PGX holder I would buy it - practicing due diligence and inspecting said book. Or purchasing it only on a returnable basis if I cannot inspect first hand. This was the question by the OP. I have even made jokes about removing the book to get rid of the "taint of satan" but that doesn't seem to be enough to satisfy some.

no, that is not the one incident I am talking about. Go the Silver Age forum and the X-men #1 Club thread. There is a member there that bought an old raw X-men #1 book with Stan Sig on it. He sub it for Sig last year where Stan traced/signed over the old sig and he got the yellow label.

Don't know if you are referring to my book, but my book was done like this. I was advised to do it like this as a FF #1 and a TOS #39 were done the same way. All three books came from the same OO collection. All were signed by Stan over 30 years ago.

I am pretty sure they knocked the grade for the "writing" (old signature and date) on the cover. But I still got the yellow label, because Stan did sign it in a facilitators presence.

yes, I was referring to your book. I think it is great that it can be done. I merely pointed out that example to show that it can be done. Whether CGC dings the grade lower or not is not the issue really.

no, that is not the one incident I am talking about. Go the Silver Age forum and the X-men #1 Club thread. There is a member there that bought an old raw X-men #1 book with Stan Sig on it. He sub it for Sig last year where Stan traced/signed over the old sig and he got the yellow label.

Don't know if you are referring to my book, but my book was done like this. I was advised to do it like this as a FF #1 and a TOS #39 were done the same way. All three books came from the same OO collection. All were signed by Stan over 30 years ago.

I am pretty sure they knocked the grade for the "writing" (old signature and date) on the cover. But I still got the yellow label, because Stan did sign it in a facilitators presence.

Last Con I was at, a guy came up to the cgc booth while I was submitting with a stack of signed books and asked to submit them SS. He was told they needed to be witnessed. He asked can they go back with him and either have the artist re-sign over them or tell them that he did sign it, and he was told flat out No. Not saying it hasn't happened before or will in the future. Just sharing an experience.

Last Con I was at, a guy came up to the cgc booth while I was submitting with a stack of signed books and asked to submit them SS. He was told they needed to be witnessed. He asked can they go back with him and either have the artist re-sign over them or tell them that he did sign it, and he was told flat out No. Not saying it hasn't happened before or will in the future. Just sharing an experience.

Would be nice to know which it is for sure.

Does anyone know why CGC will not go along with "let us go over to the creator's table and he can tell you that it is his signature?"

No certification service was around when George Washing mailed letters to friends, but there are such letters that have been authenticated as his by experts based on history, known examples of his signature, etc. For instance

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2006/1203.html

Is there no way Kirby's signature could be authenticated satisfactorily enough to be considered genuine?

I witnessed a guy right in front of me go up to George Perez with a stack of books at a con including one with a signature already over it and he asked George to go over his old signature and he did. There were so many books GP was signing the witness was not paying attention after that I asked GP about it when GP was doing a sketch for me he said it was unethical CGC's sig series because you have older comics signed by artists and writers before the CGC was around and its unfair to the fan that I just can't look at a comic and say that is my sig or in some cases the sketch and say that is my sketch. I bumped into that guy later at my LCS and he got the yellow label and said he has been using this practice for years at the con to get yellow labels on comics because the witnesses are either too far away when witnessing the signature or just not really paying attention. He said he learned the practice after seeing another guy do it at a con and get away with it.

Does anyone know why CGC will not go along with "let us go over to the creator's table and he can tell you that it is his signature?"

Is there no way Kirby's signature could be authenticated satisfactorily enough to be considered genuine?

Both of these questions have the same answer. Neither represent the service that CGC provides with Signature Series. SS provides that a CGC witness saw the item being signed by the person. Nothing more and nothing less.

I witnessed a guy right in front of me go up to George Perez with a stack of books at a con including one with a signature already over it and he asked George to go over his old signature and he did. There were so many books GP was signing the witness was not paying attention after that I asked GP about it when GP was doing a sketch for me he said it was unethical CGC's sig series because you have older comics signed by artists and writers before the CGC was around and its unfair to the fan that I just can't look at a comic and say that is my sig or in some cases the sketch and say that is my sketch. I bumped into that guy later at my LCS and he got the yellow label and said he has been using this practice for years at the con to get yellow labels on comics because the witnesses are either too far away when witnessing the signature or just not really paying attention. He said he learned the practice after seeing another guy do it at a con and get away with it.

lol

This X-Men #1 of yours - does it say "name written on cover" (or something similar) on the label?

If that's the case, then CGC treated it like they would treat any other book with an unverified signature on the front cover - the unverified sig was treated as a defect when you subbed the book for SS.

The fact that Stan Lee "traced" over his old signature means nothing - the book would have come back with the same grade no matter whether he wrote his name.

One last thing: there's no chance whatsoever any CGC employee would tell you that it's ok to have an artist trace over their signature on the cover. I don't know who told you that, but it wasn't CGC :thumbsup:

Sounds believable.

hm

Sounds believable.

hm

I really hope I end up with this guy the next time I'm CAW'ing for CGC - it would be my utmost pleasure to tell CGC what he's up to and ensure that every single book he submits comes back a GLOD. :wishluck: