• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone read Talon?

39 posts in this topic

Wonder how long Snyder will be involved. If I understand right, he had the story idea, but another writer wrote the -script.

The writer used to be in Snyder's college class that he taught and it was Snyder who gave him his first break.

You mean # 0 or # 1?

I read # 0 last night and was leery after posts in this thread ... but since it was intended as an origin, it worked fine.

The only aspect that has me still scratching my head is that he appears to go along for years of training and all of a sudden he realizes he doesn't want to do this and then there's this continual internal monologue of a tenor such that he feels he cannot deny his orders ?!? That was awkward in my opinion.

You mean # 0 or # 1?

I read # 0 last night and was leery after posts in this thread ... but since it was intended as an origin, it worked fine.

The only aspect that has me still scratching my head is that he appears to go along for years of training and all of a sudden he realizes he doesn't want to do this and then there's this continual internal monologue of a tenor such that he feels he cannot deny his orders ?!? That was awkward in my opinion.

Yeah, the 0 issue, which technically is still the first. hm

But yeah, what you said is true. It felt a little awkward. I think a line or two that explained that he was brain washed into doing what he was told, but that he was still strong enough to know right from wrong (or something like that) could've helped. For the most part, I think it was awkward only in its timing. One panel he's going along, and the next he's not. If the book were, say, 30 pages, perhaps we could've seen that inner struggle a little more?

You mean # 0 or # 1?

Yeah, the 0 issue, which technically is still the first. hm

But yeah, what you said is true. It felt a little awkward. I think a line or two that explained that he was brain washed into doing what he was told, but that he was still strong enough to know right from wrong (or something like that) could've helped. For the most part, I think it was awkward only in its timing. One panel he's going along, and the next he's not. If the book were, say, 30 pages, perhaps we could've seen that inner struggle a little more?

Well, there's a larger debate here but since he was taken in at a young age and brain-washed, I assume that a resurgence of his early childhood life (his father cages him to leave him to die :screwy: ) will have ingrained this sense of right or wrong that comes up at the time he kills the old Talon. Yet, it's never expressed in his internal monologue. Another missing chance there to add clarity to the layer the author wants to create.

Some might argue the other way, saying that if his father did something like that to him, then he'd most likely grow up to be evil, too. It might be one of those things that the boy fell in with the circus guy, felt protected and appreciated, and because of that, went along with the Court because he felt needed, something his father never gave him.

But still, that's all guess work. One of the shortcomings of comics (one that can be a huge benefit, too, if done right) is that you have to read into it more than in other mediums. I don't like to be spoon fed or beaten over the head with the point (as would be the case if he just came out with an explanation), but at the same time, if enough isn't explained or if it's glossed over, we're left guessing, or at the very least, feeling that there's something missing.

While this was a good story, you've pointed out a big flaw: What was it that set him on the path of good? Did he not know what he was being trained to do? Did he have lines he wouldn't cross? If so, what are they and where did they come from? Would he kill a 50-year-old business man but not a mom? If so, why?

I'm sure these types of things will be answered, but you're absolutely right, some of it needed to be explained, or at least hinted at.

Some might argue the other way, saying that if his father did something like that to him, then he'd most likely grow up to be evil, too.

That's the first approach I was going to take ... but I wanted to be positive and rejected that. Plus, the comic showed that he went the other way. I like that.

The more I think of it, the more I wonder if this has to do with Snyder and Tyrion (sp?) plotting and Snyder leaving the scripting to Tyrion alone. After all, he's only worked on one single other story? I hope he gets more confident and adept at straddling the fine line you mentioned between over-explaining and under-hinting.