• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the most violent pre-code horror comics?
2 2

14 posts in this topic

I'm talking most injury-to-eye, severed heads, bondage, brutality, etc. Not just SOTI stuff either. Any obscure gems that featured a plethora of gore. Please post scans!

Also, I'm interested in any suggestions for quality non-EC horror titles with great stories and art. I've read all the EC reprints and hunger for other stuff published at the time that would be worth checking out!

I was grading a Captain America #42 or #44 and noticed some incredibly brutal panels. Most of the Timely's from 1941-1944 show tortures of all kinds at the hands of the Germans, Japanese and even random ghoules! thumbsup2.gif

West

Weird Terror - check out the notes in Overstreet! shocked.gif

Yeah, but the notes in overstreet aren't really a good indication. It's like he tried to make everything sound as lurid as possible in order to be more collectible insane.gif

example: kent blake of the secret service #1 - I remember reading this book and thinking it was LAME but overstreet made it sound like something that should never have been published! insane.gif

I'm talking most injury-to-eye, severed heads, bondage, brutality, etc. Not just SOTI stuff either. Any obscure gems that featured a plethora of gore. Please post scans!

Also, I'm interested in any suggestions for quality non-EC horror titles with great stories and art. I've read all the EC reprints and hunger for other stuff published at the time that would be worth checking out!

Some publishers and titles were pretty nasty, but usually mixed with tamer stuff. Often a specific story in a book gives great fame to that book (the tongue cut tale in Lawbreaker's Suspense Stories #11) or chef Francois and his cooked innards in Mysterious Adventures 20) - BTW Mysterious Adventures IS a pretty grisly title.

But here is what you should do - and Fellow Freaky Forumites, reFrain From Furrowed Foreheads at my repeat suggestion to all new who ask about a pre-code overview...anyway, wdb, here is what you do.

Go to the New England Comics web site:

Tales Too Terrible To Tell

SET OF TALES TOO TERRIBLE TO TELL W/#1 (2ND ED) EBAY SPECIAL! - ignore the ebay special part. Just order it from the web site. And they take Paypal as well.

What you will recieve, for $20, is an incredible set of eleven, comic book sized books. Each issue focuses on one or two publishers and goes into detail on the books they printed. They also have b&w reprints of many stories - but for me the best part was always the many pages of publisher/title detail. Unfortuantely they stopped publishing it at issue 11 - it was supposed to cover every pre-code horror publisher and title. And more treats as well.

But even though incomplete - for the price of one average, low grade pre-code book you will find a wealth of information, scenes, stories, cover galleries (back cover has nice 4-color galleries. Inside has many B7W covers) covering the world of precode horror.

I really do always recommend this to anyone who is newly expressing info on pre-code horror and I absolutely guaranty you will be blown away by these books. They will give you a fine grounding in precode and they DO highlight some of the more gruesome tales and titles. But rather than just giving you a bland list of this or that book - spend the twenty and get what is probably the finest overview of precode horror around. I like them even beter than Mike Benton's Horror Comics book, which I also consider a must-have.

Some publishers and titles were pretty nasty, but usually mixed with tamer stuff. Often a specific story in a book gives great fame to that book (the tongue cut tale in Lawbreaker's Suspense Stories #11) or chef Francois and his cooked innards in Mysterious Adventures 20) - BTW Mysterious Adventures IS a pretty grisly title.

But here is what you should do - and Fellow Freaky Forumites, reFrain From Furrowed Foreheads at my repeat suggestion to all new who ask about a pre-code overview...anyway, wdb, here is what you do.

SET OF TALES TOO TERRIBLE TO TELL W/#1 (2ND ED) EBAY SPECIAL! - ignore the ebay special part. Just order it from the web site. And they take Paypal as well.

What you will recieve, for $20, is an incredible set of eleven, comic book sized books. Each issue focuses on one or two publishers and goes into detail on the books they printed. They also have b&w reprints of many stories - but for me the best part was always the many pages of publisher/title detail. Unfortuantely they stopped publishing it at issue 11 - it was supposed to cover every pre-code horror publisher and title. And more treats as well.

But even though incomplete - for the price of one average, low grade pre-code book you will find a wealth of information, scenes, stories, cover galleries (back cover has nice 4-color galleries. Inside has many B7W covers) covering the world of precode horror.

I really do always recommend this to anyone who is newly expressing info on pre-code horror and I absolutely guaranty you will be blown away by these books. They will give you a fine grounding in precode and they DO highlight some of the more gruesome tales and titles. But rather than just giving you a bland list of this or that book - spend the twenty and get what is probably the finest overview of precode horror around. I like them even beter than Mike Benton's Horror Comics book, which I also consider a must-have.

Two thumbs way up! Great suggestion! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the tip, 9 years after the fact! I just ordered a set of these; hopefully they'll show up quickly because I can't wait to get my hands on them. There is a new catalog page for them, in case anyone else is interested:

http://www.necpress.com/TickSearch.aspx?q=tales

Thanks for the tip, 9 years after the fact! I just ordered a set of these; hopefully they'll show up quickly because I can't wait to get my hands on them. There is a new catalog page for them, in case anyone else is interested:

http://www.necpress.com/TickSearch.aspx?q=tales

Excellent! Be prepared to be blown away by the amount of info in TTTTT!!! Lettuce know what you think after you start reading them.

Off the top of my head, I would say that two PCH titles that pushed the envelope violence wise were DARK MYSTERIES and MISTER MYSTERY, albeit not in every issue, but there is certainly some tasty work in certain issues.