• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1939 Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer CGC 4.0 1st Print, 1st ever Rudolph!

14 posts in this topic

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer CGC 4.0

A rare find, especially the first prints. A true 1st print, 1st edition and Rudolph's very first appearance in any medium. Long before the song we all know or the Christmas television special there was this comic, created to be given-away to children at Montgomery Ward's

way back in 1939...

Lots of other sweet stuff listed as well (cgc ss books from Joss & Walking Dead signed

by Michonne herself plus much more!)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261113072338?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

I had no idea this was the first appearance of Rudolph. Now I feel like I must have this.

I have the first appearance of Heat Miser CGC SS'd by Fingh. :banana:

I also already learned that there are two versions of this book, the '39 and '46. The '46 doesn't have elves on page 6. Watch out for the elves.

Yep, The original 1st printing from 1939 has a "tri-motored plane" on page 9 as well as the elves helping Santa load the sleigh on page 6.

The 2nd printing looks identical to the 1st and I believe it also still has the copyright date inside of 1939 so it can be tricky, however the later printing has no elves on page 6 and on page 9 the airplane has been updated to have 4 propellers.

The first thing I would ask when searching for this book is, how many propellers on page 9?

And almost always the answer was 4. :cry:

No shipping to Canada?

I would be happy to ship to Canada but the cost would be roughly $35 since it would need to go either priority or registered mail.

Thanks! :)

I had no idea this was the first appearance of Rudolph. Now I feel like I must have this.

That's how I felt when I first heard about this book a few years ago and started my search for a nice 1st print (there's only ever been one other copy on the census). It always seemed to me that Rudolph had just been around forever so as a comic collector I was shocked to learn the real history and that I could hunt for & CGC his actual 1st appearance.

Wikipedia has some good info about Robert May creating Rudolph in 1939 as an assignment for Montgomery Ward's...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolph_the_Red-Nosed_Reindeer

Thanks again for the all the interest guys, I really appreciate it!

Mike :)

It went unsold. :cry: but that's ok, I probably would have been a little disappointed if it only went for the reserve so I guess it's best for now. :)

I think that the it was probably a case of either the right bidders not finding it this week or people just not realizing the rarity or value (a book that is the first a appearance of an iconic popculture/holiday character and is listed as "scarce" according OSPG).

Well, I guess it's on to the next one...

Auctions have all ended, thread is now closed

Thanks!

Mike :)