• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is It Possible To Quit Comics?

102 posts in this topic

Assuming you're going to pick up at least one other book to keep the Bats 251 company, it sound like you're tastes are probably going to be more selective/refined this go around.

Spot on. I still have about 1,000 raw books I want to move on which will be an arduous task, but I intend to do it. But I have decided on maybe 20 books or so I'd like to own in a certain grade, and this time around I won't have the kamikaze attitude I had five years ago. It makes a massive difference in the fact that it feels far more enjoyable and less of a burden.

Once you get those 20, you'll go for another 20, and eventually build your way to another sell-off.

It will probably take me 6 or 7 years to get those 20. I really don't feel the need to buy anything I see these days. I just know what I want and am happy to sit back and save to get them. A year off really did help me look at collecting in a different perspective.

Gav this is the way I collect too,it helps to keep me focused.One big book a year,and I build up a great collection without putting a burden on my family.It does take alot longer to build the collection,but at least for me I get a sense of self satisfaction knowing that I don't have to sell books because I need to keep the lights on at home.Because I went on a rampage buying spree the month prior.

Agreed Dave, but again it wasn't the financial burden I may have made it out to be. I spent some disposable income on them, probably more than I should have done, but buying comics never put us under any strain. Basically I made a decision to quit the hobby and rid myself of comics once and for all, but I realised it only takes a glance at a beloved cover or a moment watching the new hero move or even something as random as a conversation at work to get those fires burning again.

It's probably not comics.

If it were only comics, they are everywhere at this point in time, instantaneously. You could spend whole days reading back issue comics cover to cover, viewing original art, reading comic book histories, exploring artists, inkers, writers, and publishers. Dive right in, and stay in to your heart's content.

Buying, unpacking and archiving to satisfy buying, unpacking and archiving is probably an insatiable loop.

Collecting has very little to do with the objects themselves.

How many times have we seen collectors complete a run they've been chasing for a long time, only to just sell it all off and start over with something else? And I would wager a vast majority of people spend way more time shopping for comics than they do actually enjoying what they already own. It's all about the ride.

This is it !!!!

:)

Assuming you're going to pick up at least one other book to keep the Bats 251 company, it sound like you're tastes are probably going to be more selective/refined this go around.

Spot on. I still have about 1,000 raw books I want to move on which will be an arduous task, but I intend to do it. But I have decided on maybe 20 books or so I'd like to own in a certain grade, and this time around I won't have the kamikaze attitude I had five years ago. It makes a massive difference in the fact that it feels far more enjoyable and less of a burden.

Once you get those 20, you'll go for another 20, and eventually build your way to another sell-off.

It will probably take me 6 or 7 years to get those 20. I really don't feel the need to buy anything I see these days. I just know what I want and am happy to sit back and save to get them. A year off really did help me look at collecting in a different perspective.

Gav this is the way I collect too,it helps to keep me focused.One big book a year,and I build up a great collection without putting a burden on my family.It does take alot longer to build the collection,but at least for me I get a sense of self satisfaction knowing that I don't have to sell books because I need to keep the lights on at home.Because I went on a rampage buying spree the month prior.

Agreed Dave, but again it wasn't the financial burden I may have made it out to be. I spent some disposable income on them, probably more than I should have done, but buying comics never put us under any strain. Basically I made a decision to quit the hobby and rid myself of comics once and for all, but I realised it only takes a glance at a beloved cover or a moment watching the new hero move or even something as random as a conversation at work to get those fires burning again.

Once you find out you have the collector gene,it's hard to repress that.

My current focus consists of about 20 books too. I will be adding two books to my collection from last April to next April.

I've managed to retain the same focus for nearly 8 years now. As much as i'm addicted to collecting comics, just knowing I will most likely make another purchase one day seems to be enough to satisfy the craving. I'm prepared to wait for the right book at the right time.

I collected from 1970 to 1984. Picked up again in 1989 till 1993. After 9 years I passed by a thrift store while I was on the road travelling and picked up Spider-Man 1-5 (The 1990 McFarlane series) for $2.00 and was hooked again.

I Addictive...I would say yes. I feel that nostaligia also plays an important role. If I thumb through a book it is amazing how many memories are brought back to mind. In some cases, I can even remember the song playing on the radio as I originally read the book.

(thumbs u

Stick to that, and you won't ever have to quit. Life's too short and shltty to completely deprive yourself of something you enjoy.

I was never focused. I thought I was but the goalposts constantly moved. I do remember buying a complete run of Walking Dead when I was trying to collect Batman and thought I was clever selling them for $1,000 when we first moved into the house. A kick in the bollocks that was, and yet another lesson into the collecting mentality I suppose.

This time around I certainly know what I want and that's all it will be. It actually felt great to see a $100 book the other day and think 'That means a lot to me, I'll take it' without having to work payment terms on it.

Focus is absolutely key. Over the years I've collected Marvel, DC and everything in between. My eye has now turned to a new horizon, foreign editions. Not just any and all of them, specifically ones that reprint Adams and Wrightson work with a touch of Cardy thrown in for good measure. Most of the time I can go months without making a purchase just because so many of these books aren't readily available. There are books you can spend, literally, years looking for and never see a copy. With some of this stuff it's not a matter of how much you've got to spend, you have to put in a lot of time, build contacts in other countries and hope that one turns up. I'm sure there's a lot of people who would think I'm a little off for buying these but once I've finished subbing the ones I want for Signature Series and assembling the raw copies I want I'll have a completely unique collection that no one will be able to duplicate.

Gav :hi:

You know I took a year sabbatical from funnybooks as well (selling my graded books as well), for reasons not financial or lack of interest. I got to tell you, it's been hard trying to allign the right books I want to focus on since. But, I wanted a Registry Set with more of my DNA in it, then some high grade books to show off for the next one. They felt like they began to "own" me and not the other way around. So, as my Collector's Society Express coupon slowly comes to expire (I wanted to use it start up my next focus) in 10 days, I feel I finally found a unique group of titles (inexpensive and fun) to assemble that defines me and enables me to stay in the hobby. During the past year, I tried collecting other forms printed material (old books and documents), but to me it all paled to the comic medium I have enjoyed so much for the past eight years. I plan to collect in little doses and grade them same way. I refuse to speculate and jump on a "hot" book and just plug away on a few titles, while actually reading a larger variety of others.

I just wanted you to know, you weren't alone in these emotional crossroads of the hobby. :)

I've collected many different things over the years: Music Memorabilia, Vinyl records,

coins, currency, non-sports cards, sheet music, etc. etc. etc. I have quit most all but I have never been able to quit the comics for any length of time.My answer: NO, it is not possible to permanently quit.

I dont think that I will ever be able to stop collecting comics, I am driven to seek out the books that I need.

When I cant find any that I need, I buy books I already have in better grades, then I still cant part with the under-copy ( copies ) :facepalm:

I think that the only way I could give up would be to get rid of everything in one go, I dont think I would have the heart or energy to start over, but I doubt that day will ever come, its just to much work and I am too far gone.

My first well documented departure from collecting comics lasted quite a while, the best part of ten years, and it was only because I lost a whole collection in one fell swoop that I gave up. But the second time around I managed to obliterate the old collection in some style, and when the time came to knock it on the head for the second time round I swore I'd make a clean break.

We decided to buy the house we were happy in and I needed to find $15,000 to put a deposit down to secure the mortgage, then find solicitors fees and survey fees, so comics were the obvious 'lifestyle choice' that had to be sacrificed to get that money together.

It bothered me at first when I was selling books, seeing those beauties in Mylar being packed up and shipped, but after a while I became pretty much desensitised to it and I thought that was it, that they'd all go and that would be the end of it.

But between quick looks on here, The Dark Knight Rises and being a complete sodding geek I felt that pang again, so I decided to try to satiate it with a purchase of a Batman #251 9.4. But it doesn't work does it? Buying one doesn't stop the feeling, it just makes it worse.

So from my experiences over the last 20 years I now believe there should be a government warning on comics as they're more addictive than smoking cigarettes. In fact I'd rather give up smoking than buying comics.

Gav (worship)

I quit comics for a very long time. I go through different interests here and there. I love comics but I can see myself not buying them anymore. I might have enough stuff unread to last a decade at the rate I read them. I'm more a reader than a collector, although I do have a little bit of a collector mentality

As they say..... well, someone said it.... its all about the hunt :popcorn:

Yes. Just like women. It is the chase. The hunt. It is not the object. One is just like another really. But the one you have not had yet, is always more wanted.

I have had many books, that I don't pursue now. I have had women that I don't pursue any more, and I am actually very glad I no longer have. But the ones I have not had yet. mmmm....

I have been saying for a very long time on this forum. It is an addiction. Not a pursuit or a hobby. Crack is not a hobby. Neither is collecting comic books (there is always the exception, but for most of us, it is an addiction).

For some though. It is strictly business. Crack dealers don't usually use crack. They just deal in it. It is all about the Benjamins.

"My name is Walt, and I am a comicoholic".

As they say..... well, someone said it.... its all about the hunt :popcorn:

Yes. Just like women. It is the chase. The hunt. It is not the object. One is just like another really. But the one you have not had yet, is always more wanted.

I have had many books, that I don't pursue now. I have had women that I don't pursue any more, and I am actually very glad I no longer have. But the ones I have not had yet. mmmm....

I have been saying for a very long time on this forum. It is an addiction. Not a pursuit or a hobby. Crack is not a hobby. Neither is collecting comic books (there is always the exception, but for most of us, it is an addiction).

For some though. It is strictly business. Crack dealers don't usually use crack. They just deal in it. It is all about the Benjamins.

"My name is Walt, and I am a comicoholic".

Sounds like you haven't met the right woman :foryou:

I quit for over 12 years. I went to another hobby (aquarium fish).

A series of things happened with that hobby. It began with space limitations, and that freed up some money. With the local comic shop literally a quarter of a mile from my apartment, I started frequenting that shop, but not dumping a lot of money into it. Over time, there was the loss of forums I belonged to, and one particular set-back that hurt me more than anything in the hobby: I lost an entire tank of fish twice in a 3 month span. Given that I plan to move in the next couple of months, I made the decision to not re-establish the tank in my apartment, because I didn't want to have to break down a full tank again.

The change had been gradual from about 2005 until now. With that hobby currently not occupying any resources, I have focused completely on comics.

If not for that particular series of events, there's no doubt in my mind I never would have come back to comics. I have 12 fish tanks sitting empty, ranging from 20 up to 120-gallons. I'm single, live by myself, and moved 1200 miles from family. I've got the time and can handle the costs of a hobby. If I would have had the space, I would have put all of those tanks up. Since I live in an apartment, it wasn't feasible. . . and with Bedrock City just down the road, well, let's just say that it's never been an easier choice.

I need something to do. Having said that, I enjoy reading the stories, but like someone mentioned, it's about "the chase." This was true, even in my other hobbies, including aquarium fish. I wanted to find a species that no one else had. . . I wanted to complete the list of a couple of different genera (close on one) and keep as many of another as possible (some will never make it into the hobby, but I had kept a dozen species. . . most people in the hobby may keep 1, maybe 2).