• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is It Possible To Quit Comics?

102 posts in this topic

What makes comic books different from other disposable media that they have to be bagged,boarded and maybe slabbed?

Who said comics were disposable media?

Why are they different from paperbacks,books,newspapers,blu-rays,dvds,and cds?

Why do they get slabbed,bagged and boarded?

What makes them different?

How is watching a dvd,reading a book and listening to a cd any different then reading a comic book? Entertainment is entertainment.

Most of the times the bags and boards are worth more than the comic books themselves,so why do we continue to bag and board the comic books?

Are we anal? Do we have ocd? or is it because somebody in the 1980s or 1990s told us so?

I ask again

The modern cd,paperback or blu-ray doesn`t get slabbed,bagged and boarded,so why does the modern comic book?

Because comics aren't the disposable entertainment they once were (and since when were CDs, DVDs, books or Blu-Rays disposable anyway, does anybody actually throw them away when they're 'finished'?), they are collectibles. The fact you can actually read them is secondary these days.

Because comics aren't the disposable entertainment they once were

This phrase is key for me.

Are modern comics not disposable?

I buy current comics to read and don't bag and board them. As a buyer of comic in the 90s I believe there are too many collectors that will preserve their comics in high grade for there to be any value in doing so.

As someone said before the key is to not try to buy to your max.

You don't then need to feel the need to maximise your return.

The most enjoyment I get is from my mid grade SA Marvel reader collection. As the purchase price has put no financial pressure on me I don't feel the need to maximise my return. I enjoy reading them with my kids and flicking through the books.

When I owned an Action #1, Tec #27 and Marvel #1 I felt the pressure to maximise my return. Great books to own but I enjoy my readers more.