• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need advice/help with these issues in my collection...

34 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I've been collecting for almost 4 years now and take care of my collection a great deal. However, I think I am still a newbie when it comes to storage.

I only bag and board my comics and put them directly in a long box after reading. However, the images below show what issues I'm having in my collection.

They are kept in a cool, dry, dark place as well.

Any advice to keep these things from happening is greatly appreciated! I may maybe over analyzing these things but I want to break bad habits if this is really something I need to worry about and want to keep my collection in mint to neat mint condition.

Thanks in advance for all the help and advice.

spine.jpg

slantcopy.jpg

leanv.jpg

curven.jpg

Put sturdy cardboard that fits the box snugly every forty books or so, minimum of four per box. You can buy them but its easy to size them yourself.

You can cut used Priority boxes to size and they work perfectly. You want to create the equivilant of firebreaks in the box.

This is a very timely question for me as I'm in the process of rebagging my whole collection and am also rexamining the very same long-term storage issues.

I have taken to laying the box over on it's side (just enought to make all the books slide left), and then returning upright. Either way you do it, it'll take constant effort to put the books back in correctly each time the boxes get moved.

Like many people, I visit my collection regularly and easy access is important. I can't imagine flipping around every-other-book nor can leave boxes on their sides. (although both good suggestions) That being said, If I could see 10 years in the future, i might change my tune!

I do both what Shadroch and youfoundjake suggest for my own books. I find it works very well.

Mike's idea may work too - but I find it impractical as storage boxes were not designed to stack on top of one another on their sides. You stack them on top of each other.

I know I have shown these pics before,but it really is a great way to keep your books from bending like that.I use Magazine holders, they hold roughly 50 books per holder.You can get them at any Staples.

IMG00388-20110402-2035.jpg

Here's where I got it from,our own boardie Chromium.

ahhh my first post was about this,

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=252864&Number=5550396#Post5550396

i had the same issues with the books looking like that. i switched to using mylite2 and full back, solved everything. was expensive getting 2 cases each of fullbacks and mylite2's, but worth every cent. then i started doing what oakman did with his collection and using magazine holders. those two things combined solved every problem i had

I know I have shown these pics before,but it really is a great way to keep your books from bending like that.I use Magazine holders, they hold roughly 50 books per holder.You can get them at any Staples.

Chromium is my hero. :cloud9:

I did the same and will be expanding this to bigger shelving in the near future. :wishluck:

DSCN0283.jpg

Oh. I also noticed this issue when using modern bags.

Ive since switched to silver. More room so the backing board doesn't warp.

I made the stupid mistake of bagging all my modern books with modern bags/boards. Now, about 1000 books in, I wish I had bought silver for everything. The boards from Bagsunlimited are exactly the size of a modern comic's width with no overhang. I tend to favor the lower-right corner for protection, cuasing the spine to fall of the edge. I'm cringing at the prospect of buying another 1000 bags and boards. Especially if I go to full backs! Maybe I'll just do that with SA books for now.

Does anyone know if this problem self-corrects with proper storage? (including box placement and larger boards)

In order to cut down on this problem, I decided to abandon the longbox in favor of the shortbox.

I use MyLite 2s and Fullbacks from Gerber. I use "standard" size bags and boards and I use corrugated plastic storage boxes from Bagsunlimited.

Everything fits pefectly and the books are snug.

I also think that flipping every other book is a good idea...but I don't practice this method. Perhaps I will.

Sorry that this is off topic but it is driving me crazy. Why is it that when I try to duplicate (quote) or create my own post with video I can't get it to look and play from the post itself?

Sorry that this is off topic but it is driving me crazy. Why is it that when I try to duplicate (quote) or create my own post with video I can't get it to look and play from the post itself?

When you post there is a section called markup,you have to select "using HTML and UBBCode" then submit your post.I thought you were going to comment on my awesome set up. :(