• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need advice/help with these issues in my collection...

34 posts in this topic

I was going to comment on your setup which looks very cool but I got side tracked with the video issue. It looks cool but I am curious about one thing. Those are magazine holders but the books look even so I am wondering if it is a tight fit or did you manually make sue they are laying evenly?

Hey guys. I've been collecting for almost 4 years now and take care of my collection a great deal. However, I think I am still a newbie when it comes to storage.

I only bag and board my comics and put them directly in a long box after reading. However, the images below show what issues I'm having in my collection.

They are kept in a cool, dry, dark place as well.

Any advice to keep these things from happening is greatly appreciated! I may maybe over analyzing these things but I want to break bad habits if this is really something I need to worry about and want to keep my collection in mint to neat mint condition.

Thanks in advance for all the help and advice.

Welcome to the boards

I was going to comment on your setup which looks very cool but I got side tracked with the video issue. It looks cool but I am curious about one thing. Those are magazine holders but the books look even so I am wondering if it is a tight fit or did you manually make sue they are laying evenly?

Not really a tight fit,just snug.

Sorry that this is off topic but it is driving me crazy. Why is it that when I try to duplicate (quote) or create my own post with video I can't get it to look and play from the post itself?

Before you submit your post, select, "using HTML and UBBCode", where it says "Markup" below the text entry box. (Make sure you have copied the "Embed" video address from the source of the video.)

The boards from Bagsunlimited are exactly the size of a modern comic's width with no overhang. I tend to favor the lower-right corner for protection, cuasing the spine to fall of the edge.

Just curious Soft-Serve, what do you mean when you say you "favor the lower-right corner for protection with the spine to fall off the edge?" Sounds interesting!

Thanks guys for welcoming me to the group and thanks for all the helpful comments! Wow. I can't believe I've been doing it sort of wrong all these years.

I think I might try flipping my books back to front and maybe switch to try the silver age bags and boards.

Lots of great tips here.

Just curious Soft-Serve, what do you mean when you say you "favor the lower-right corner for protection with the spine to fall off the edge?" Sounds interesting!

Even though the board is the exact size of the comic, the bag is a little bigger. So, instead of trying to center the comic on the board (which would leave both bottom corners exactly flush with the board's corners), I scoot the board to the right of the bag and the comic to the left so as to protect the the vulnerable lower right corner of the book. This leaves the lower left corner (and spine) unprotected. I figure since that side is stronger, it's less-likely to be dinged than the cut-edge. It's not a great option, but when I bagged them, I didn't feel like sending everything back for a better solution. I regret that now....Silver-age bags all the way next time...

This was an excellent topic/thread. I use silver bags and boards for all my comics already (no GA books sadly). I wish I could get full backs but my LCS does not carry them and I imagine shipping to Canada is pricey...However, I am going to incorporate some of the other suggestions here about dividers and flipping some around. Looks like a good day to have off to do some configuring! ;)

Most everything I keep is in Mylar and there are none of these problems

books in poly bags or no bags i store flat and turn 3-5 over every 10-15 books or so to prevent spine rolling. I've stored 100 ms marvel #1 and She Hulk #1 like this with no bags since they came out and they are still perfect.

cool, dark areas are breeding grounds for silverfish. I either put out mothballs or those roach boric acid tablets that kill silverfish too

i have found silverfish inside both polybags and mylars so be careful

Wow. It's been a while since I visited this thread.

Since last year, I took the advice from some of you guys and switched to Silver Age bags/boards and started turning my comics every other book for those that had been bagged and boarded with Current bags and boards.

It's been a major help and basically solved my problem! I think sticking with Silver is good for me at this point until I decide to go with Mylar.

So, I am going through my collection and putting everything into E.Gerbers Mylite 2 (775M Silver/Gold) sleeve along with a Full-Back (750FB Silver/Gold). My issue is that now I am finding that the storage boxes I had them stored in are quite a tight fight (width wise/side-to-side).

Do I need to move up to magizine boxes or do they make comic boxes that hold silver/gold age sized mylars and backs?