• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel 1 or Action 1?

Which would you rather have?  

255 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather have?

54 posts in this topic

Red Sun ???

I'm just going off the cartoons and my vague memory of the character. I thought his powers were reduced under a red sun? I'm sure it had some effect on him?

He becomes "normal" under a red sun because Krypton had a red sun.

Ah ha, I knew it! Hey Fuel Man how come you were able to rattle off those neat points but couldn't get this one? confused-smiley-013.gif

Red Sun ???

I'm just going off the cartoons and my vague memory of the character. I thought his powers were reduced under a red sun? I'm sure it had some effect on him?

Ah ha, I knew it! Hey Fuel Man how come you were able to rattle off those neat points but couldn't get this one? confused-smiley-013.gif

He's probably not an addict like we are. devil.gif

Red Sun ???

OK - a fine point - is it just a "red sun" or a "non-yellow sun"? And I am not nit-picking. I REMEMEBR reading, as a kid who read few comic books, one where Superman did lose his powers under a red sun.

But for some reason, then and as a now-kindofadult, my real impression is that it is a sun not colored as our old Sol.

?????

Krypton had a red sun and 100s of times more gravity. So when he got here, (in the 40s origins) he was super strong in our weaker gravity, and the sun gave him his newer powers in the 60s stories. Finally it was all the sun's doing so that when he found himself on a planet with a red sun, or Luthor turned our sun red, he lost all his powers.

Preacher is warped, but good. I am hooked. (Currently reading Preacher TPB vol. 5. )

Oh man! Are you in for a good one! You must let me know (via PM) what you think of it when you finish this trade. shocked.gif

Krypton had a red sun and 100s of times more gravity. So when he got here, (in the 40s origins) he was super strong in our weaker gravity, and the sun gave him his newer powers in the 60s stories. Finally it was all the sun's doing so that when he found himself on a planet with a red sun, or Luthor turned our sun red, he lost all his powers.

Yes, the red sun thing was a Silver Age ret-con. Remember those covers burntboy posted a couple of weeks ago, including the bare-chested boxing match between Supes and Luthor? (Superman 164, I believe). I believe that was one of the earliest mentions of the red sun effect. Or it could have been the somewhat-earlier introduction of Brainiac and the bottle city of Kandor (Otherwise how did he keep those Kandorians from breaking out of the bottle?) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

12.gif

And pov, it is certainly a red sun effect... lesser stellar energy levels and such. I don't think anyone has yet explored what would happen under a white dwarf star, or some other spectrum of stellar radiation... confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't think anyone has yet explored what would happen under a white dwarf star, or some other spectrum of stellar radiation... confused-smiley-013.gif

This looks like a job for....................Alan Moore! smile.gif

Yes, the red sun thing was a Silver Age ret-con. Remember those covers burntboy posted a couple of weeks ago, including the bare-chested boxing match between Supes and Luthor? (Superman 164, I believe). I believe that was one of the earliest mentions of the red sun effect. Or it could have been the somewhat-earlier introduction of Brainiac and the bottle city of Kandor (Otherwise how did he keep those Kandorians from breaking out of the bottle?) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

12.gif

And pov, it is certainly a red sun effect... lesser stellar energy levels and such. I don't think anyone has yet explored what would happen under a white dwarf star, or some other spectrum of stellar radiation... confused-smiley-013.gif

I think you're right Zonker. I've looked around to try to dig up info, found a couple of mentions of an Action Comic which describes that Superman gets his power from a yellow sun & that Superman # 164 was the beginning of the red sun stories.

Good Job! thumbsup2.gif

Im looking at that Superman cover again, and Im just noticing that teh sun is as red as can be, but the sky is still good old sky BLUE! Its funny that the colorists and writers were all on the same page, that is, its like the Bizarro stories where everything is backwards.. Everything the writers thought of for th estory, but hardly anything else. They still stand on their feet. They still wear cloths... etc etc you get the idea.