• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel 1 or Action 1?

Which would you rather have?  

255 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather have?

54 posts in this topic

I could care less about Superman. To me he's a very boring character, so I'd have no interest in owning an Action 1. With those stipulations, I'd be taking the Marvel 1.

Brian

At the risk of running this thread OT, which would you rather have: Marvel #1 or Cap #1 (I'll guess that Murph would take the Cap. Correct me if I'm wrong). What about the rest of you???

And yet three people have voted Marvel 1 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And yet only Silver Surfer has (barely) weighed in as to why....... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Simple. I have never collected DC, didn't like most of them when I was a kid. Marvel has all but kicked DC's arse the last 50 years when it comes to quality and most DC fans know it, but hate to admit it. I think when we talk about comics in general the analogy used earlier should be reversed, Mets (DC) - Yankees (Marvel). I'm sure if we looked at the census numbers for each of the last 45 years Marvel submissions would greatly out number DC by a wide margin. Now why is that? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif If I may use an example: DC is notorious for lame covers and weak stories. I like the Justice League of America but when I look at the cover of issue #1 I just shake my head. Flash playing chess with Charlie Tuna. foreheadslap.gif I just looked at EBay and their isn't one JLA book that is over $500 yet!

Everyone has their reasons and their favorites by make mine Marvel every time. thumbsup2.gif

I could care less about Superman. To me he's a very boring character, so I'd have no interest in owning an Action 1. With those stipulations, I'd be taking the Marvel 1.

Brian

At the risk of running this thread OT, which would you rather have: Marvel #1 or Cap #1 (I'll guess that Murph would take the Cap. Correct me if I'm wrong). What about the rest of you???

Marvel.

And yet only Silver Surfer has (barely) weighed in as to why....... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Simple. I have never collected DC, didn't like most of them when I was a kid. Marvel has all but kicked DC's arse the last 50 years when it comes to quality and most DC fans know it, but hate to admit it. I think when we talk about comics in general the analogy used earlier should be reversed, Mets (DC) - Yankees (Marvel). I'm sure if we looked at the census numbers for each of the last 45 years Marvel submissions would greatly out number DC by a wide margin. Now why is that? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif If I may use an example: DC is notorious for lame covers and weak stories. I like the Justice League of America but when I look at the cover of issue #1 I just shake my head. Flash playing chess with Charlie Tuna. foreheadslap.gif I just looked at EBay and their isn't one JLA book that is over $500 yet!

Everyone has their reasons and their favorites by make mine Marvel every time. thumbsup2.gif

Now that i strongly disagree with.

DC cover art in the bronze age was alot better than Marvel's rubbish cover artwork and i am sure many will agree here.

DC cover art in the bronze age was alot better than Marvel's rubbish cover artwork and i am sure many will agree here.

Not that it really matters but I take it you agree with the rest of what I had to say?

Not that it really matters but I take it you agree with the rest of what I had to say?

The Silver Age was ruled by Marvel and i don't think many can disagree with that.

I think that in the Bronze Age DC ruled the roost cover wise, but i cannot comment much story wise frown.gif

The thing about the census is maybe DC collectors would rather have nice readers than HG collectibles. It is the other way around for Marvel.

If I may use an example: DC is notorious for lame covers and weak stories.

I hate to keep arguing this point w/ you, but you have siad before that you have hardly read any DC's, so how can you make a statement like that?

Read Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, Neil Gaiman's Sandman (killer Dave McKean covers to boot), O'Neil/Adams GL and then make the same statement.

And, you'll drop the money on a HC reprint of Marvel #1 (not that great a read BTW), but you still haven't picked up the first "Preacher" trade for $14.95????confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.giffrown.gif You will like it! Seriously!

Chrisco,

I use to buy DC's and I even still have a bunch of Teen Titan issues which were okay. Swamp Thing was probably one of the very first issues I ever picked up in the mid 70's. Its was fine for a few issues but I just can't see myself wanting to buy it on a regular basis as I just not that excited about the character. Same story with a lot of DC's stuff.

I will be buying some new DC issues especially JLA, Flash, Green Lantern plus a few of the ones you recommended. The Marvel HC reprint is a must and one for the book shelf.

Brian

Superman is now a boring character, but back in the 30s and 40s when he wasn't so all-powerful, he was a lot more interesting. I actually like reading the Superman stories that were written before he got so powerful that he could fly through the sun and not get hurt.

If I may use an example: DC is notorious for lame covers and weak stories.

I hate to keep arguing this point w/ you, but you have siad before that you have hardly read any DC's, so how can you make a statement like that?

Read Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, Neil Gaiman's Sandman (killer Dave McKean covers to boot), O'Neil/Adams GL and then make the same statement.

And, you'll drop the money on a HC reprint of Marvel #1 (not that great a read BTW), but you still haven't picked up the first "Preacher" trade for $14.95????confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.giffrown.gif You will like it! Seriously!

Preacher is warped, but good. I am hooked. (Currently reading Preacher TPB vol. 5. cloud9.gif)

I actually like reading the Superman stories that were written before he got so powerful that he could fly through the sun and not get hurt.

Actually I could probably name at least 15 Marvel characters today that can fly through the sun and not get hurt. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Was Superman's weakness to kryptonite and a red sun written in from the very beginning or did it start later? Now there is a good triva question.

I actually like reading the Superman stories that were written before he got so powerful that he could fly through the sun and not get hurt.

Actually I could probably name at least 15 Marvel characters today that can fly through the sun and not get hurt. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Was Superman's weakness to kryptonite and a red sun written in from the very beginning or did it start later? Now there is a good triva question.

They started later. Kryptonite in Superman # 61, X-Ray vision Action # 18. Red Sun ??? First time Superman flyies instead of leaps, Action # 123 (Aug. 1948.)

As for Action #1 or Marvel Comics #1, I'd have to take the Action due to significance, but I would personally prefer the Marvel Comics #1! Just MHO.

Red Sun ???

I'm just going off the cartoons and my vague memory of the character. I thought his powers were reduced under a red sun? I'm sure it had some effect on him?

He becomes "normal" under a red sun because Krypton had a red sun.