• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You guys over-hyped the Avengers movie

160 posts in this topic

I like simple fun mess too, but like you said it just gets distracting when the flick is full of holes. Sometimes less is more, and I think it's better to tone it down but have all the loose ends tied up.

This summer really exemplified how comic fans can immerse themselves into a film and suspend belief for the characters they love - just by how people commented on The Avengers, ASM and TDKR. It also showed how filmmaking and storytelling still has a lot of room for improvement, too.

Well, yeah - but take a look at the other top grossing films of all time, it's not like the list is loaded with intelligent, edifying, thought-provoking cinematic masterpieces. The general populace likes seeing sh*t blown up by sexy people in costumes who prance around their hyper-sexed fantasy-based environment with angst and fervor.

That's for damn sure.

Take a look at the list of the top 20 highest grossing films:

131284.jpg.468c4b31c1d96a4c06e645fb26cb0405.jpg

Why did he go from almost ripping Scarlet's butt in half to teaming up with the group?

:gossip: He was testing her to see what she'd do and if she was lying about being there alone. He got his answer.

Not that part in the beginning, the part on the helicarrier.

Well, yeah - but take a look at the other top grossing films of all time, it's not like the list is loaded with intelligent, edifying, thought-provoking cinematic masterpieces. The general populace likes seeing sh*t blown up by sexy people in costumes who prance around their hyper-sexed fantasy-based environment with angst and fervor.

That's for damn sure.

Don't get me wrong - I thoroughly enjoyed most of those movies, and some are big time favorites. But I definitely don't consider them on the same level as the other more character/performance based favorite films of mine like 13 Days, Bubba Ho-Tep, Black Swan, etc. There's fun movies, and then there's movies that you hold up to higher standards because they can't hide bad performances or plot holes with special effects and explosions.

If you saw the end off the Hulk movie with Edward Norton he was learning to control his Anger. On shield Carrier if you remember he was being manipulated by Loki.

His lack of control was mentioned over and over in the build-up.

That's for damn sure.

131284.jpg

Don't get me wrong - I thoroughly enjoyed most of those movies, and some are big time favorites. But I definitely don't consider them on the same level as the other more character/performance based favorite films of mine like 13 Days, Bubba Ho-Tep, Black Swan, etc. There's fun movies, and then there's movies that you hold up to higher standards because they can't hide bad performances with special effects and explosions.

My favorite movies never do well at the box office.

In the name of all that is holy, can nothing knock Avatar and Titanic out of the # 1 and 2 spots? :frustrated:

Not until Snooki and Honey Boo Boo team up with Gimli and Captain Jack Sparrow against the Decepticons and Voldemort.

In the name of all that is holy, can nothing knock Avatar and Titanic out of the # 1 and 2 spots? :frustrated:

Both of those movies were incredible pieces of film-making and are vastly superior to The Avengers, in my mind.

Not until Snooki and Honey Boo Boo team up with Gimli and Captain Jack Sparrow against the Decepticons and Voldemort.

You forgot the sparkly vampires.

The Avengers was fun to watch in the theater once but I don't have a desire to revisit it like I do the first Iron Man or The Dark Knight.

I watched it again on Saturday and didn't enjoy it at all.

Almost to the point of dislking the movie.

It's cheesy as sin, it's essentially a 2 hour battle, there are so many plot holes it's scary (I agree with everything you pointed out), plus the story barely makes any sense.

It was Transformers meets Fantastic Four. Big machine type battle in NY where you can barely tell whats going on and a portal in the sky opened up.

The Avengers was fun to watch in the theater once but I don't have a desire to revisit it like I do the first Iron Man or The Dark Knight.

I never understood the concept of needing to watch a movie more than once, much less why being able to watch it multiple times factors into determining whether it's good or not.

I never understood the concept of needing to watch a movie more than once, much less why being able to watch it multiple times factors into determining whether it's good or not.

Funny, because my buddy's and I just discussed about that EXACT opposite concept this past weekend.

Anything can seem good/okay once, maybe it depends what sort of mood you were in that evening (good or bad)... or what company you were with (if you're in a movie theater of 300 people laughing and enjoying themselves, chances you are you going to like whatever movie you are watching just a little bit more than by yourself at home).

We all agreed that the 2nd viewing of a movie is the critical one :) If you really want to see it again, and if when you do, you're still really into it, and on the edge of your seat it's obviously something you really like. If you're not- well- it's a 1 and done and I don't know how many movies I thought were "really good" that I only watched once hm