• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are DC Bronze books seeing a dip in the market?

19 posts in this topic

A lot of DC books recently have been selling for less than 9.2 guide when they are 9.4/9.6s.

But Marvel is still going strong with some books going for multiples.

Is it just a small dip in the market or is this going to be a temporary thing from now on?

As we saw from a recent Forumites auctions DCs are struggling a bit with a few record low prices being realized.

DC horror is having a good time, but the rest seems to be struggling, are we going to see more collectors coming in over the next few months/years or will there be a decline?

It would be interesting to see specific numbers of what is being submitted to CGC. It would be a terrific barometer of the market in general on a month over month basis.

Here's the top ten submissions between 5/24/2004 and 7/12/2004

for D.C. dated 1970 to 1980.

New Teen Titans 1 - 19 new submissions

Swamp Thing 1 - 13 new submissions

House of Secrets 92 - 11 new submissions

DC Comics Presents 26 - 11 new submissions

Jonah Hex 1 - 9 new submissions

Batman 232 - 9 new submissions

Swamp Thing 7 - 7 new submissions

Omac 1 - 7 new submissions

Action Comics 500 - 7 new submissions

Green Lantern 76 - 6 new submissions

Are we seeing some speculating of movies there?

Swamp Thing books, and Ra's Al Ghul 1st appearance.

confused-smiley-013.gif

the Teen Titans are a surprise, even given the new series. Looks like maybe the 80s are back baby...or starting to...

cool.gif UV, I hope DC is able to sustain Marvel's prices....I mostly collect DCs! 893whatthe.gif

In general, DC books are not bountiful as compared to Marvels in a given time period---or am I being too general?

Ok I see. I agree in general because Marvels were much more collectible and popular as the sixties and 70s wore on. But, I dont think we really know if, when all is said and done, that DCs will be in substantially shorter supply. Marvels are killer hot right now and prices keep rising which brings out the books. Once DCs start to catch up we should start seeing a lot more submissions and raw books for sale even from die-hard DC hoarders. But, who knows for sure? I think I could argue it either way...

Possible.

High grade Bronze Marvels are a hundred times more plentiful than DCs.

I'm sure there are high grade DCs in long time collections, but DC collectors (in general) tend to keep their books. Marvel collectors (in general) dump books when they smell money.

There may be some DC collections come out due to prices, but I seriously doubt there will be enough to cause chaos.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

A HUNDRED times? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Obviously an exaggeration, but here's the deal as I've heard it from a few dealers:

Marvel to DC collections run about 5 to 1, but Marvel to DC collectors run about 10 to 1.

You do the math.

Obviously an exaggeration, but here's the deal as I've heard it from a few dealers:

Marvel to DC collections run about 5 to 1, but Marvel to DC collectors run about 10 to 1.

You do the math.

Can't argue with that.

You do the math.

Can't argue with that.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Actually, there are some bronze DCs that are way easier to find due to the rampant hoarding/speculation of them back in the day. Much more than most Marvels from the same period.

They include;

1) Shazam 1

2) Shadow 1

3) Plop! 1

4) Sandman 1

5) Tarzan 207

6) All the Kirby fourth world #1s

Actually, there are some bronze DCs that are way easier to find due to the rampant hoarding/speculation of them back in the day. Much more than most Marvels from the same period.

Definitely greggy, there are spots here and there where availability of certain issues/titles are higher. JCs comments are dead on "in general". Unfortunately, none of the DC hoarding occurred on the books I collect.... confused-smiley-013.gif

A lot of DC books recently have been selling for less than 9.2 guide when they are 9.4/9.6s.

But Marvel is still going strong with some books going for multiples.

Is it just a small dip in the market or is this going to be a temporary thing from now on?

As we saw from a recent Forumites auctions DCs are struggling a bit with a few record low prices being realized.

DC horror is having a good time, but the rest seems to be struggling, are we going to see more collectors coming in over the next few months/years or will there be a decline?

Some of the Adams bat-books still are going strong right now. Check out these prices from JS Comics' recent Marvel/DC auctions (there were more issue available but these are the only books I was bidding on):

Batman #244 VF/NM http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2254525866&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT

Detective #400 VF/NM http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2255742582&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT

Detective #404 NM- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2255742586&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT

So much for picking up cheap high grade copies during the summer doldrums frown.gif

This is just speculation on my part, but I think we may see more DC SA and BA on the market in the next few years when the children of baby boomers clean out the attics of their parents houses.

I also agree with JC that we will see Marvel collections become available in a few years as well.