• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Modern Speculation Thread
5 5

633 posts in this topic

Thoughts on Greg Pak's 'Turok'? Read on bleeding cool it sold out of its 37k print run, there are some super limited 25 only variants on Midtown. Reckon any are worth picking up? If so which would you go for? I have a soft spot for Jae, but looks like his Super Limited variant and normal Variant are the same art?

http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=Turok+Dinosaur+Hunter+Vol_1329017

I read Turok today, not bad. I will pick up at least the next few issues......but WTF is up with 36 covers of issue #1?!! LMAO

Not kidding folks....35 variants = 36 covers. Disgusting

Thoughts on Greg Pak's 'Turok'? Read on bleeding cool it sold out of its 37k print run, there are some super limited 25 only variants on Midtown. Reckon any are worth picking up? If so which would you go for? I have a soft spot for Jae, but looks like his Super Limited variant and normal Variant are the same art?

http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=Turok+Dinosaur+Hunter+Vol_1329017

I read Turok today, not bad. I will pick up at least the next few issues......but WTF is up with 36 covers of issue #1?!! LMAO

Talk about a cash grab.

I know they solicited a lot of covers for this comic, but 36 covers? Really? I count 9 in the solicitation with a retailer exclusive variant ala Godzilla 1. I wonder how many of the copies DCBS had listed at $1000 were sold?

Edited by rjrjr

Talk about a cash grab.

Do we have to do this every time a new book comes out?

Cash grab? Yes, maybe.

Disgusting? No. Not even close. If this is the sort of thing that disgusts you, you need to get out more.

If you are unhappy with 36 variants, then just buy one, or don't buy any. It's unbelievably simple. So fricking tiresome having to listen to this every time. No collector has a divine right to own every copy of a book, so if it's too expensive to try and do so, then don't.

Talk about a cash grab.

Do we have to do this every time a new book comes out?

Cash grab? Yes, maybe.

Disgusting? No. Not even close. If this is the sort of thing that disgusts you, you need to get out more.

If you are unhappy with 36 variants, then just buy one, or don't buy any. It's unbelievably simple. So fricking tiresome having to listen to this every time. No collector has a divine right to own every copy of a book, so if it's too expensive to try and do so, then don't.

It really is that simple. ^^

Edited by Whizzer

"Planet Venom" Just wrapped up a story arc in Guardians of the Galaxy. Little visit to the Symbiote's homeworld. If Secret War does not negate this story, it should be a HOT one.

So there it is. Origin of the "Venom" organism is revealed in GOTG #24 out today. Started story arc at 21. 21 Has a 1:10 Variant Rocket Raccoon and Groot cover.

22 has no variant, just regular cover.

23 has the "Welcome Home" variant, but the Guardians steal a little bit of the show with this 1:20 variant cover.

152530.jpg.6d79add302869495b498e21568b3fd49.jpg

Edited by UltraMaximus

I have a few that I've been brewing over for awhile now, mainly DC for this post.

They are:

Terror Titans #4- 1st app. of Static Shock in regular DC continuity to my knowledge-under the radar for now I think. I think this guy is gonna see some kind of spike in popularity at some point. Add his regular 1st app. as well for sure.

Gotham Academy #1- 1st app. of quite a few young characters that are directly linked to the Batman mythos. In the future I think quite a few of these people will pop up in other books/tv/movies as heroes and/or villains. Add to that the book is really good, and many are really digging it so far.

The winner in my boat is one I touted quite a few years back for many reasons.

Ame-Comi Girls vol. 2 #4- 1st appearance of Sinestra (female Sinestro). I will compare to BA 12 for many reasons as DC has had a couple strong female characters spawned from all-ages books thus far- 3 to be exact. Harley, Livewire, and now this girl. My reason for speculating strongly:

1. Female villain first appearing in an all-age book-check

2. Low print run-check

3. Ability to cross over into main DC continuity-check

4. Female cosplayers' dream costume-check

5. 1st full appearance also sports a front and center full body shot of said character on cover-check

That is my few picks for now.

Edited by gradejunky

"Planet Venom" Just wrapped up a story arc in Guardians of the Galaxy. Little visit to the Symbiote's homeworld. If Secret War does not negate this story, it should be a HOT one.

So there it is. Origin of the "Venom" organism is revealed in GOTG #24 out today. Started story arc at 21. 21 Has a 1:10 Variant Rocket Raccoon and Groot cover.

22 has no variant, just regular cover.

23 has the "Welcome Home" variant, but the Guardians steal a little bit of the show with this 1:20 variant cover.

Havent we been to the symbiote's world before?

I know there’s gonna be a boatload of Detective Comic 1027 variants on the way but one in particular has me intrigued. There is one virgin variant with only a print run of 180 copies. Plus it’s a great cover imo. Wouldn’t that make it one of the rarer moderns? Maybe something to consider.

https://thecomicmint.com/products/detective-comics-1027-mike-mayhew-variants?variant=35712095355041

26 minutes ago, Comic Consortium said:

I know there’s gonna be a boatload of Detective Comic 1027 variants on the way but one in particular has me intrigued. There is one virgin variant with only a print run of 180 copies. Plus it’s a great cover imo. Wouldn’t that make it one of the rarer moderns? Maybe something to consider.

https://thecomicmint.com/products/detective-comics-1027-mike-mayhew-variants?variant=35712095355041

1) There's rarer Spawn variants 2) Mayhew already did a batman male rogues villains Tec 1000 variant 3) The corner female villain first appearance in Batman #1 Rebirth 4) What is the first appearance of female Man-Bat? 5) Nice to see some love for Nocturna [which has a ton up copper age upside for her first app] 6) Batman looks weird 

3 hours ago, Comic Consortium said:

If you read that, you'd see that more than 180 copies are printed.....

Whether those "extras" actually get destroyed is all a marketing gimmick. Money makes people say/do stupid things; brings out the greed.

3 hours ago, Second Blight said:

If you read that, you'd see that more than 180 copies are printed.....

Whether those "extras" actually get destroyed is all a marketing gimmick. Money makes people say/do stupid things; brings out the greed.

"The publisher may choose to distribute complimentary copies to individuals who worked on this book at their discretion. These copies are outside the scope of this offering."

So.... 180 copies is meaningless to how many actual copies there are....