• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Modern Speculation Thread
5 5

633 posts in this topic

Manifest Destiny, Sex Criminals, the Strain, and now Sheltered are showing some heat. What's next ?

My guesses for best potential are as follows,

Spider-man ( which I'm skipping as I'm focusing on Image/indie stuff this year )

East of West ( couldn't tell could you ? lol )

Lazarus

Todd and Clone ( yes again. lol )

Middle tier risks

Saga ( any kind of anything would cause this to blow )

Y the Last Man

Guardians of the Galaxy ( if people like the movie, look out )

My long shots and personal loves

Rat Queens

Letter 44

Arrow ( I know a lot of people asking about comics because of this show )

Spawn ( it's been too cheap, too long and is over 20 years old )

What are you guys betting on ?

Manifest Destiny, Sex Criminals, the Strain, and now Sheltered are showing some heat. What's next ?

SAGA for sure, also Spawn lost some heat for a while and I would assume that put its production into lower than normal runs. Not sure, but if you can get Spawn in the $1 bin I grab them.

Spider-man ( which I'm skipping as I'm focusing on Image/indie stuff this year )

Lazarus

Middle tier risks

Y the Last Man

Rat Queens

Letter 44

I think you're right on with your tiered picks! Love Lazarus and I agree with Spawn. I'm missing 75-150 they are hard to track down for decent price.

I'll add a few personal favorites. Two being long shots.

Secret by Image good tv series

Black Science epic movie(s) too $ for tv series

Vertigo has been hot lately how awesome would a Scalped HBO series be?!

Lazarus

Middle tier risks

Y the Last Man

Rat Queens

Letter 44

I think you're right on with your tiered picks! Love Lazarus and I agree with Spawn. I'm missing 75-150 they are hard to track down for decent price.

I'll add a few personal favorites. Two being long shots.

Secret by Image good tv series

Black Science epic movie(s) too $ for tv series

Vertigo has been hot lately how awesome would a Scalped HBO series be?!

I like your picks too. I really like Secret. I lost a little interest for a while but it's semi regular again and high quality book. Black Science would be great. I ave to admit that I haven't read Scalped but it's on my list. A lot of people with similar tastes to mine keep recommending it.

I didn't hear any mention of NYC #3 as a speculative modern. I don't follow modern comics much, but that was a hot comic for time if I recall. Has that one run out of gas?

I assume with moderns, that comics have to have the ideal set of circumstances to not only increase in value, but to stay relevant ($ wise) on a long term basis. These would typically include low print runs, first appearances, and a place in one of the major universes (or in pop culture like WD). NM98 would buck the trend of the print run simply due to the breakthrough nature of Deadpool as a top tier character. But those don't come along too often. Would a low print run and a mid tier character provide any sustainability with price, or are all moderns doomed to large swings based on the flavor of the day?

What about something like Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E #0? Low print run (from what I can tell), first appearance of Stargirl who is still relevant in the New 52 (Justice League), and hinted to have a part in the Justice League movie. Certainly not a hot comic, but do those type of ingredients lend for speculation, long term appreciation, or are comics like these just to obscure to matter?

I didn't hear any mention of NYC #3 as a speculative modern. I don't follow modern comics much, but that was a hot comic for time if I recall. Has that one run out of gas?

I assume with moderns, that comics have to have the ideal set of circumstances to not only increase in value, but to stay relevant ($ wise) on a long term basis. These would typically include low print runs, first appearances, and a place in one of the major universes (or in pop culture like WD). NM98 would buck the trend of the print run simply due to the breakthrough nature of Deadpool as a top tier character. But those don't come along too often. Would a low print run and a mid tier character provide any sustainability with price, or are all moderns doomed to large swings based on the flavor of the day?

What about something like Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E #0? Low print run (from what I can tell), first appearance of Stargirl who is still relevant in the New 52 (Justice League), and hinted to have a part in the Justice League movie. Certainly not a hot comic, but do those type of ingredients lend for speculation, long term appreciation, or are comics like these just to obscure to matter?

I think NYC #3 is as hot a seller as its ever been but you don't hear a lot about it here. I hope there is some stabilization in comics. The rapid highs and lows are happening for 2 reasons. The first is people don't want to miss the next big thing so they pay more when something first takes off. The second is that people also don't want to be stuck with a loser so they dump stuff cheap and quickly when something begins to slow. Sheltered experienced this. It started hot, for some reason went cold, now its hot again. Go figure. lol

Spawn is a book I keep meaning to start buying in bulk. An lcs of mine I don't frequent has a huge run of them for like $2-3 a piece and in nice shape. Another monthly garage sale for comics here also has tons of Spawn stuff I'm going to be diving into next time around I think. I will probably just focus more on later issues-(100-160ish), and newsstand copies.

150 is a heater that most/all comic shops will price at a hefty premium. Funny thing is though, a lot of the issues surrounding that one are tough to find in certain areas. If you can get get nice copies of any Spawn issue from say #90, to 185 in nice shape for cheap, you will make your money in the long run. I sold a #184 like 4 years ago for

$20 in 9.0. I think the market is down on that issue since I sold that copy to be honest as I saw multiple sellers trying to get what I got afterwards.

Also, there are several 2nd print issues that sell for hefty multiples over their 1st print cousins under certain circumstances. Again, the market and area in which they are sold are definite factors in this. If someone lives in the boonies and can't find issues locally, they have to turn to the net to get those elusive copies.

Newsstand copies of Spawn do well also to the right buyers.

I think NYC #3 is as hot a seller as its ever been but you don't hear a lot about it here. I hope there is some stabilization in comics. The rapid highs and lows are happening for 2 reasons. The first is people don't want to miss the next big thing so they pay more when something first takes off. The second is that people also don't want to be stuck with a loser so they dump stuff cheap and quickly when something begins to slow. Sheltered experienced this. It started hot, for some reason went cold, now its hot again. Go figure. lol

I think, its noobs with money to burn buying the so called hot issues for ridiculous prices multiples of cover. Your correct people don't want to miss the next hot thing. Wuts sad is lurkers buying up the stock online after news hits and reselling it for more way more once there shipments comeback from midtown or anywhere online. Annoying to say the least, hope prices stabilize at one point or another. Deals are hard to get now of days.

Spawn is a book I keep meaning to start buying in bulk. An lcs of mine I don't frequent has a huge run of them for like $2-3 a piece and in nice shape. Another monthly garage sale for comics here also has tons of Spawn stuff I'm going to be diving into next time around I think. I will probably just focus more on later issues-(100-160ish), and newsstand copies.

Todd MacFarlane was the Neal Adams of the 1990s.

Let`s see Spawn had movie, video games and animated HBO show.

I would expect a rule of 25 to bring the character revival back.

Of course Spawn #1 will never be worth much, but those with low print runs have a chance.

Thoughts on Greg Pak's 'Turok'? Read on bleeding cool it sold out of its 37k print run, there are some super limited 25 only variants on Midtown. Reckon any are worth picking up? If so which would you go for? I have a soft spot for Jae, but looks like his Super Limited variant and normal Variant are the same art?

http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=Turok+Dinosaur+Hunter+Vol_1329017

Thoughts on Greg Pak's 'Turok'? Read on bleeding cool it sold out of its 37k print run, there are some super limited 25 only variants on Midtown. Reckon any are worth picking up? If so which would you go for? I have a soft spot for Jae, but looks like his Super Limited variant and normal Variant are the same art?

http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=Turok+Dinosaur+Hunter+Vol_1329017

DCBS had 1 in 400 variants for $1,000 :screwy:

Of course Spawn #1 will never be worth much, but those with low print runs have a chance.

Completely agree with the analogy. They were both my favorites in different times and both drew really sleek/strong characters.

Don't forget the figures as well, which "spawned" a whole other empire for McFarlane.

The early issues will still bring some money if you bundle them. #9 - 1st Angela will also bring at least $5 on fleabay but you can find them in dollar boxes.

Edited by ygogolak

I've seen graded Spawn early issues go for good amounts. Someone told me the rarer issues of Spawn but I can't remember. It certainly wasn't those early issues that everyone thought would be the next Batman, Amazing Spider-Man, etc.

I wonder what the reception of Ms. Marvel #1 will be like? The variant will go for a lot. The interior art looks nice too.